Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread - Page 99 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus & X399 The ROG Zenith Extreme: A Complaint & Bug Tracking Thread

post #981 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 335 (Unique: 147)
I'm trying to find Founder's edition or other cards to test with. If someone is able to test with only bare minimums attached that would help rule things out (CPU, 1x memory stick, 2x 2080/Ti). Also remove USB devices, use CMOS default settings etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #982 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by elmor View Post
I'm trying to find Founder's edition or other cards to test with. If someone is able to test with only bare minimums attached that would help rule things out (CPU, 1x memory stick, 2x 2080/Ti). Also remove USB devices, use CMOS default settings etc.
@elmor
All of my testing so far has been done at stock/cleared cmos settings, with the exception of setting the data mode from ahci to raid. Have tried clearing cmos numerous times.

Only USB devices plugged in right now are bloody keyboard and Corsair mouse.

Have not yet tried removing down to single stick of ram yet, but will do so once home from work.

if you would like to do a Skype conference where you can see my rig with the two Founders editions in there and I can test some things for you I'm more than happy to help.

Last edited by beavermatic; 10-11-2018 at 05:40 AM.
post #983 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

@elmor : You tested with a 1950X? Could the 2950X cause the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #984 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by lumen View Post
@elmor : You tested with a 1950X? Could the 2950X cause the problem?
I have the same problem with the 1950X.
post #985 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Another thing, it doesn't seem to matter the combination of the PCIE slot being used. If i plug in to 16x slot 1 and slot 3, OE vga bios issue occurs. If I moved either card to 8x slot and leave the other on 16x slot 1 or 3, same error occurs. It's literally as soon as you attempt to connect a second matching 2080/ti to any other pcie slot, the issue occurs.
post #986 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Linux Lobbyist

latest news posted on rog forum

I called Asus support the night before last and the agent told me they were receiving many escalations regarding this 2080 issue and their engineering team is currently working on resolution. The only information they could provide me was it is indeed related to nvlink interface incompatibility with current BIOS/board, and users of the 20xx series GPU's, whether multipgpu or single gpu may face issues and instability until BIOS update is released.

They also stated there is other issues related to the 20xx series GPU's and screens going black prior to login screen in windows/drive instability with boards at the moment, and this is affecting other boards as well (not just the ZE) and they are working on BIOS updates for these issues too.

They said to expect BIOS updates "soon" and their L2 teams will keep in touch.

Seems the NVlink interface, regardless of multigpu or single, is causing issues with ASUS mobos in general for many. I suspect they never really added support for it since it was technically outside the scope of the market these boards were intended for (well, until now).
post #987 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Linux Lobbyist

i think we are getting somewhere
post #988 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
It's working with BIOS version 1003.
post #989 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Linux Lobbyist

i had 1003 before i updated to latest bios and it still would not load
post #990 of 1292 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:27 PM
A Furious Ghost

Rep: 37 (Unique: 2)
Elmor, I have removed everything down to the CPU, Gpu’s and RAM. It didn’t work in that config, so I left everything unplugged and took out all but 1 RAM stick, it then worked flawlessly. It worked even with everything plugged back on. I need my RAM so I went back to full config with 1 GPU enabled for now. I did get to test it with two cards and it ran great. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the FEs BIOS that I’ve read is encrypted different if I read that right. I am going to check that both cards have the same BIOS tonight and see what I can find out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in