ASUS TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING motherboard review... it doesn't suck after all - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING motherboard review... it doesn't suck after all

post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot
Minotaurtoo Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideeffect View Post

Nice overclock. Are you stable at 3.92 or just for benches?

I have been testing my stability with prime and have realised that leaving the VRM Phase control frequency at 200 allows less Vcore to be used. Leaving phase control set to optimal is just as stable as extreme and uses less power. I set both my Load line calibrations to regular which seems the best. I use ZenStates to overclock in windows so that my C-states are still working and now I am going to enable EPU power saving and test for stability so I can save even more power and hopefully still be stable.

My CPU is hitting a big voltage wall around 3850Mhz where it's not practical to overclock further but I can bench at 4GHZ at 1.4v.

I manged to get the RAM to boot at 3200 but it errors out in windows memtest after 10 minutes.

My mem can't be clocked past 3066, but it's only rated for 2933 anyway... the cpu actually can easily be stabilized over 3.92... 3.95 was my highest tested so far... but there is a steep voltage wall past 3.825... 1.35v for 3.825 1.4v for 3.92 and 1.43 for 3.95... so I actually backed down to 3.825 for my daily running just because I like to stay on the low side of the voltage wall. how are your temps?

Intel who?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:51 AM
New to Overclock.net
sideeffect Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaurtoo View Post

My mem can't be clocked past 3066, but it's only rated for 2933 anyway... the cpu actually can easily be stabilized over 3.92... 3.95 was my highest tested so far... but there is a steep voltage wall past 3.825... 1.35v for 3.825 1.4v for 3.92 and 1.43 for 3.95... so I actually backed down to 3.825 for my daily running just because I like to stay on the low side of the voltage wall. how are your temps?

I am getting similar results with my CPU. I set 1.325v in Zenstates which results in 1.35v and that is enough for 38.5x to run prime.

Here is a picture of my temps after 1 hour running prime95 custom blend with 20GB RAM used. This seems to stress out my system the most and produce the most heat. During games the CPU stays below 60 and idle temp is 30 degrees.

I didn't like EPU power saving at all it just reduced the voltage by about 30mv at the same setting. Load line calibration just raises the voltage at same setting and has no affect on the differential or VDroop so I would say both these options are very badly(cheaply) implemented on this motherboard.

I think the memory speed is still limited by the BIOS and available options I am almost stable at 3200 now with just a few errors in a 4 hour memtest.rolleyes.gif
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot
Minotaurtoo Level 1

Quote:

I am getting similar results with my CPU. I set 1.325v in Zenstates which results in 1.35v and that is enough for 38.5x to run prime.

Here is a picture of my temps after 1 hour running prime95 custom blend with 20GB RAM used. This seems to stress out my system the most and produce the most heat. During games the CPU stays below 60 and idle temp is 30 degrees.

I didn't like EPU power saving at all it just reduced the voltage by about 30mv at the same setting. Load line calibration just raises the voltage at same setting and has no affect on the differential or VDroop so I would say both these options are very badly(cheaply) implemented on this motherboard.

I think the memory speed is still limited by the BIOS and available options I am almost stable at 3200 now with just a few errors in a 4 hour memtest.rolleyes.gif
doing better than me... I can't even boot at 3200 although I can't complain as my ram kit is only 2933 rated anyway... I noticed that the llc seemed a bit broken, but haven't really finished testing to see if that can be corrected.

Intel who?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:51 PM
New to Overclock.net
sideeffect Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaurtoo View Post

doing better than me... I can't even boot at 3200 although I can't complain as my ram kit is only 2933 rated anyway... I noticed that the llc seemed a bit broken, but haven't really finished testing to see if that can be corrected.

I couldn't boot at first either. Try with TRFC set to AUTO and raise TRCDWR and TRCDRD until you can boot keep them equal though. You should set your CAS to 16 or 14 Ryzen doesn't like odd CAS probably 16 at 3200 and 14 at 2933.

This might help with settings to get passed boot. (I was slightly more stable at 2T but it doesn't make much difference)
post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot
Minotaurtoo Level 1

I actually have tried...even at 16 21 21 21 51 72 I could only boot into windows at 3066 lol... just a poor overclocking ram kit I have I'm afraid... thanks for the help, I've spent two days with a few experts trying to get more out of this ram and just came to the conclusion... it's what it is and nothing more lol... I was testing a 4ghz overclock earlier... temps were ok with mid 60s during testing on the cores... but haven't actually found a stable voltage just yet... actually wish LLC worked better than it does.

Intel who?

post #16 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:05 AM
New to Overclock.net
sideeffect Level 1

Hope you get 4Ghz let me know what vcore you needed. thumb.gif
post #17 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot
Minotaurtoo Level 1

Quote:

Hope you get 4Ghz let me know what vcore you needed. thumb.gif

4ghz at 1.45 with extreme LLC... on extreme the LLC actually seems to work... it overshot some at low loads but held up to 1.43 under stress testing... temps were OK nothing got over 70C but honestly, I'm just sticking to 8.25 settings... it's nice to keep temps down and power pull down while still scoring in the 1700's on cinebench and having physics scores of nearly 20k in firestrike...

Intel who?

post #18 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot
Minotaurtoo Level 1

added little bit of info about the board I discovered after using it for a week... on and just for giggles I tried to stabilize 4ghz... success! and managed a cinebench score of 1819! not bad at all I think... great little board... not the most feature packed, but built TUF and reliable...

Intel who?

post #19 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot
Minotaurtoo Level 1

Added this to the OP, but posting it here in case no one notices the change in the op.... also: https://valid.x86.fr/cigws8 I think my job is done lol... this B350 board can overclock a Ryzen 7 pretty good... still think I'm going to stick with my 8.25 profile though... seems the best balance between power draw and performance.

Intel who?

post #20 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot
Minotaurtoo Level 1

Just a bit of a PSA here... but the Asus AI suite 3 broke one of my games.... had to reinstall OS to fix it too... may be another way to fix it.. but I didn't have time to fiddle forever.

Intel who?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in