ASUS TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING motherboard review... it doesn't suck after all - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING motherboard review... it doesn't suck after all

post #21 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM
curmudgeon

Rep: 306 (Unique: 177)
Heh. Installing AI Suite in the first place was quite brave of you.

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3
Cooling
Case
Silverstone Redline RL02b
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot

Rep: 80 (Unique: 46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Heh. Installing AI Suite in the first place was quite brave of you.
I was mostly curious if it had any decent features... which it did... but breaking my game wasn't nice lol

Intel who?

post #23 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 04:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 4)
I noticed AI Suite reported VTTDDR always at 0.60v even if it was set in BIOS to be half of vDIMM. During stability testing I was trying to change vDIMM using the tool to make things quicker but got erratic results. So I don't trust this software at all.

I was never sure if VTTDDR is being set properly in software or even if the BIOS is setting it properly.

I agree that the VRM's are not up to the task for high overclock but this board is pretty good for moderate overclock.

I don't think it's a terrible Micro ATX board but Compared to my ASROCK Z97m OC formula it feels cheap.

Also you should test Zenstates because it solves the problem of deciding between power consumption and performance it's automatic unlike Ryzen master and you can optimise it. I get under 20w CPU and SOC power usage at Idle. During normal use the other cores drop frequency saving more power. That is with the Ryzen power plan set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideeffect View Post

I noticed AI Suite reported VTTDDR always at 0.60v even if it was set in BIOS to be half of vDIMM. During stability testing I was trying to change vDIMM using the tool to make things quicker but got erratic results. So I don't trust this software at all.

I was never sure if VTTDDR is being set properly in software or even if the BIOS is setting it properly.

I agree that the VRM's are not up to the task for high overclock but this board is pretty good for moderate overclock.

I don't think it's a terrible Micro ATX board but Compared to my ASROCK Z97m OC formula it feels cheap.

Also you should test Zenstates because it solves the problem of deciding between power consumption and performance it's automatic unlike Ryzen master and you can optimise it. I get under 20w CPU and SOC power usage at Idle. During normal use the other cores drop frequency saving more power. That is with the Ryzen power plan set.

so far I haven't been able to make this thing throttle...even at 1.45v testing just over 4ghz OC... all temps read well within normal... so I actually think this is one of the better B350 boards based on what others have described... maybe they didn't have proper fan installation though I don't know really.... definitely better than the old 970 chipset though, I burnt one of those lol

Zenstates, I've heard of those, but so far haven't seen them... I assumed it was because I didn't have the Ryzen power plan installed... sounds like that might offer exactly what I want though.... if it would allow me to set a high OC for demanding tasks and let it clock down during low usage times then yes I want to try it... I'm still very much on the learning curve with Ryzen... but since I've managed to get a "stable" 3.92ghz clock and managed to tighten the timings on my ram I feel like I'm learning pretty good lol... biggrin.gif

Any info on how to achieve the goal of high OC with downclocking during low usage/idle time would be helpful

Intel who?

post #25 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

I agree it's the best of the Ryzen Micro ATX boards I just think that is not really that hard because they are either poor or average. biggrin.gif

Asus Zenstates can be got from Here. Our BIOS has the P-States functionality but the options are hidden in our BIOS. This tool allows us to use that functionality. It only works with ASUS motherboards so it's good reason to have ASUS. thumb.gif

I would recommend installing the AMD chipset drivers which include the Ryzen power plan also.
post #26 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 21)
Nice review and findings.

This board wasn't available when I was in the market to buy my current system, but this makes me wish I would have waited. I have a lot of things that I dislike about this board, but the main two things that have gotten me to develop quite a strong contempt for this board is the severe vDROOP and how hot the VRMs get. I'm currently stuck at 3.8GHz because my board cannot handle much more than that when I am stressing the overclock. To see that people are running their RYZEN 7 CPUs at 4GHz with the VRMs not exceeding 60C is giving me some serious envy.

This gives me hope that some mid to high range options are finally coming to Micro ATX with the AM4 platform. I'll be on the lookout for TUF boards with the 400 and the 500 series of AMD Promontory.

[7/2/2017] CriticalOne's Hypothesis: Most games using DX12 or Vulkan will scale poorly after 6 cores. [1] [2]
post #27 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Useful idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideeffect View Post

I agree it's the best of the Ryzen Micro ATX boards I just think that is not really that hard because they are either poor or average. biggrin.gif

Asus Zenstates can be got from Here. Our BIOS has the P-States functionality but the options are hidden in our BIOS. This tool allows us to use that functionality. It only works with ASUS motherboards so it's good reason to have ASUS. thumb.gif

I would recommend installing the AMD chipset drivers which include the Ryzen power plan also.

Thanks, +rep I installed the zen power plan and zenstates... works great... only 1 think I can't figure out...may just not work... I was hoping that it would let me set all core boost and single core boost as well... but for some reason all cores will go to the top clock I set... I was really hoping I could set a 4.1ghz single core turbo and 3.9 all core... but still not complaining I can at least leave it idling now and not leave it at top clocks...if I could I'd give you two points rep for sharing this lol.

Intel who?

post #28 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaurtoo View Post

Thanks, +rep I installed the zen power plan and zenstates... works great... only 1 think I can't figure out...may just not work... I was hoping that it would let me set all core boost and single core boost as well... but for some reason all cores will go to the top clock I set... I was really hoping I could set a 4.1ghz single core turbo and 3.9 all core... but still not complaining I can at least leave it idling now and not leave it at top clocks...if I could I'd give you two points rep for sharing this lol.

Oh thanks! Gave you some rep back for finding out about Performance Bias boost. thumb.gif

Yes it is a shame that the XFR boost gets disabled as soon as any overclock is detected doesn't matter if it's overclocked in windows or BIOS. What we really want is a software solution that will let us control the frequencies and voltage of each core independently. One of my cores always fails a lot earlier than the others.

Something else I have been playing with is Process Lasso which allows the setting of per application based CPU affinity and remembers the settings. Some games work faster if you stop them using hyper-threaded cores or use only one CCX. I gained 6FPS average in Far Cry Primal using this trick. More Info here.

It might also be possible to work something out where an overclock to 4Ghz that works on 7 cores at less voltage is possible by preventing an application using the weaker core but I haven't tested that yet.
post #29 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:21 PM
curmudgeon

Rep: 306 (Unique: 177)
Have you tried disabling SMT?

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3
Cooling
Case
Silverstone Redline RL02b
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 196 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Just FYI, the statement on the OP for VRM temps its not correct. Asus X370 boards dont have VRM sensors.

See this video:

87º at minute 2:00 with a noctua 120 mm cooler blowing air and no case. What do you expect with a lower quality VRM? 50º its a dream, even on the taichi with that big sink with pipe VRM are at least 55º at load.

Ryzen [email protected] bclk+ Kraken X61 push/pull|Asrock X370 Taichi|EVGA SC2 1080ti [email protected] & [email protected] Mhz 0.98 mV + Kraken X61|GSkill FlareX 8GBx2 3740MHz CL 16-15-14-14-28-42-282-1t&1.39 mV|EVGA SuperNova 850W|Thermaltake View 31 RGB|NVME CorsairMP500 240 GB+Seagate 3TB 7200rpm 200 MBps|HP Omen 27" [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in