ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread - Page 540 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread

post #5391 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:15 AM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by nick name View Post
I replaced a 4th gen Asetek cooler with Fractal Design 5th gen Asetek cooler so my memory from the first installation is dated, but I believe it was super easy. I don't remember struggling with it at all.
Excellent - Fractal moves to the top of the list then..... Love the way you've set it up. I do look at it thinking I need a bank of fans blowing down on the board and RAM. Makes perfect sense when we have all that room! Cooling is paramount on this board!

Ryzen 1700x Current Bios - 2203

About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
Amiga10
(18 items)
CPU
R7 1700X @ 4.13GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Raadeon RX 580 8GB Black Edition
RAM
G.Skill F4-4266C19D-16GTZR
Hard Drive
ADATA SX8200NP NVME
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632
Optical Drive
ASUS BW=16D1HT Blueray
Power Supply
Corsair RM 1000
Cooling
Fractal Design S36
Cooling
Gskill FTB-3500C5-DR Memory Fan Turbulence III 3500RPM
Cooling
2 x Riing 140mm
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Riing
Operating System
Windows 10 Creators Ed
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Keyboard
No brand cheap gaming!
Mouse
Microsoft Mobile Wireless Mouse 4000
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5392 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:19 AM
Computer Enthusiast

I'm just about to go back to bios 1002 to test my previously stable OC

I predict it may well not work, even though it survived reboots and power cycles, I have a feeling things out of my control will conspire against me!

But - it was really good OC, so you never know! Fingers crossed!

Edit:Should have known! Can't g et it stable back on 1002. Very strange really, I mean last time I tested on this bios the OC survived reboots, sleep and proper (unplug it) power cycles....... gosd I want to know what going on! Going back to my previously stable 3533 profile to see how that is, but not too hopeful as it has really tight timings....

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
Amiga10
(18 items)
CPU
R7 1700X @ 4.13GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
ADATA SX8200NP NVME
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632
Optical Drive
ASUS BW=16D1HT Blueray
Power Supply
Corsair RM 1000
Cooling
Fractal Design S36
Cooling
Cooling
2 x Riing 140mm
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Creators Ed
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Keyboard
No brand cheap gaming!
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by crakej; 02-07-2019 at 06:34 AM.
post #5393 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by crakej View Post
Excellent - Fractal moves to the top of the list then..... Love the way you've set it up. I do look at it thinking I need a bank of fans blowing down on the board and RAM. Makes perfect sense when we have all that room! Cooling is paramount on this board!
I haven't tried the cooler with its stock 2000 RPM fans. The specs of the fans seem pretty good, but they're white and not my thing. On a Thermaltake Core P3 they stick out like a sore thumb. When I got the cooler I immediately started with the fans you see in my signature which I moved over from my previous Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 AIO. Found 'em brand new and dirt cheap on eBay from a seller that was pulling them off new Corsair coolers. My guess is those coolers were going to a mining operation. Now I'm using 3000 RPM Noctuas @ 1500 RPM. Honestly, I'm not sure it was the wisest choice to spend money on the Noctuas when considering the performance I already had, but they do look cooler.

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5394 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:19 AM
DRAM Obsessor

Rep: 0
I do it for a hobby really. Love the challenge.

I do a LOT of tests! I'm focusing on 3600 currently as I've had it running stable, and better than my 3533 profile in all tests. Not much, but enough to be noticeable.

After many tests today on 1103, I cannot get my profile to run reliably as it does on 1002 - I've loosened up all my secondary timings, changed voltages up and down, but nothing works. It's intriguing and annoying! - I thrive on trying to find out what's changed (AMD tell us nothing for a multitude of reasons) - if I can.

Since I started with My X370 Prime Pro I've gradually got better and better at doing things, and been able to extract excellent performance. But, give a dog a bone (or in this case, 4200MTs ram) and he's going to do his darnedest to get every bit of juice out of it I can! I should point out I have ADHD, and can do this for HOURS! I do lose hope sometimes and give it a break - often coming back too it able to solve my current problem.

At one point, I had 3600MTs stable with 1.420v, now (if I'm on 1002 bios) it needs 1.30v. Any setting either side of those voltages would cause failure (for me and my set up) - it's got to be spot on, so takes some time working in combination with other voltages, power settings.

I may now have found the limit for my hardware, but it will take a bit more testing to be sure of that. I think on 1002 I can probably tune in 3666, but not on newer bioses. It may be that LLC is working differently on the latest bios, or it may be I need to change the termination blocks which I've not previously needed to do. Really am stumped why previous timings and voltages no longer work.

Something else I've noticed - for my setup anyway - is that there are some tweaks from the ram calculator which really helped out - as well as a couple that didn't. L1 and L2 Stream HW Prefetcher>Enabled worked well and Opcache>enabled too, but enabling mem interleaving at the suggested values actually SLOWED down certain tasks. These are settings that may bring benefit at other settings for my kit, but I do those tests last.

You're dead right about OCing being able to make things worse... One thing I found was that if your memory OC is not quite right your machine will take some time to boot. When I zero in on good settings, it's often the thing I notice first - the machine booting at a decent, normal speed, as it should. Another thing to know is that sometimes loosening (not tightening as you may think) a timing, can increase performance. This is because bad OCs can slow down your hardware as it's not running optimally.

I do try to repeat test at least 3 times - when I have a stable OC I will repeat them again. This way you can average the performance increase/decrease. Not perfect, but works for me.

I have lots of time on my hands lol!! Keeps me occupied while off work and waiting for surgery, but i've always loved this kind of thing right from the BBC micro days!
You should try out Geekbench 3 Ive found that the memory scores are very consistent and even when you run a higher freq but is unstable, even slightly, will produce a worse score than a lower frequency that is stable. Ive been able to get up to 8200 memory score but that takes quite a bit of tweaking, 8000 is still quite good though. Run the 64bit test and if you dont want to buy the benchmark there is a way to still run the 64bit test by swapping the names of the files corresponding to each test in the Geekbench folder then just simply running the 32bit test and it will output 64bit results. IMO this is probably the best performance mark for memory.

CPU- AMD Ryzen [email protected]
MOTHERBOARD-
ROG C7H Hero
GPU- EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 w/ XOC unlocked bios *2100MHz core*1626MHz mem*
RAM- G.SKILL TridentZ [email protected](14-15-14-26-40-1t)
COOLING- CORSAIR Hydro Series H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000 (x7)
CASE- Silverstone RL06 Pro
MONITORS- VIOTEK GN32C 32" Curved Screen 1920x1080p @ 144hz Refresh Rate (x2)

post #5395 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Computer Enthusiast

Will check out Geekbench.....thanks....

Just loaded my 3533 Extreme profile, added the tweaks I've learned to it, and got the best result I ever had on Cinebench R15! Remember, I'm on Ryzen1 here! More than 55 points more than when I last ran at 4.2GHz 3533

Can't get it stable though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3533extremePerf.png.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	252240  

Amiga10
(18 items)
CPU
R7 1700X @ 4.13GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
ADATA SX8200NP NVME
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632
Optical Drive
ASUS BW=16D1HT Blueray
Power Supply
Corsair RM 1000
Cooling
Fractal Design S36
Cooling
Cooling
2 x Riing 140mm
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Creators Ed
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Keyboard
No brand cheap gaming!
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by crakej; 02-08-2019 at 11:03 AM.
post #5396 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Will check out Geekbench.....thanks....

Just loaded my 3533 Extreme profile, added the tweaks I've leaned to it, and got the best result I ever had on Cinebench R15! Remember, I'm on Ryzen1 here! More than 55 points more than when I last ran at 4.2GHz 3533

Can't get it stable though
I keep forgetting you're using a 1700X. Great score.

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |
post #5397 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 87 (Unique: 41)
Just got this delivered...will start installing it tomorrow..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190208_195526_1549652783539.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	252258  

post #5398 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by majestynl View Post
I didn't think anyone would be getting one of those. Are you using it for gaming or productivity?

post #5399 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 87 (Unique: 41)
Quote: Originally Posted by nick name View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by majestynl View Post
I didn't think anyone would be getting one of those. Are you using it for gaming or productivity?
Just For fun 😄

post #5400 of 5975 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Hello all! This will be a lengthy post filled with newbie questions so i want to apologise in advance for polluting your thread and thank anyone that bothers going through it and maybe provide me with some answers.

I've just put together a new 2700x/C7H build.Some additional information about the case/cooling as i think they are vital to give you a full picture and answer my main worry/question. Case is a Fractal Meshify C with 2 NF-A14PWM for intake and one NF-S12A for exhaust.Cpu cooler the NH-D15 with one of the NF-A15 fans it comes with and an NF-F12PWM in the front (instead of the second A15,as ram clearance cooler height and case size didn't allow for it).The tim used is TG Kryonaut.I also want to stress here that the system is an a *virgin* state : I have just done a basic install of W10 ,haven't downloaded any drivers/updates(save for the gpu) and the only programs i have installed are HWInfo64,CPU-Z,Asus Realbench,HWMonitor and Chrome. The mobo is running on its stock bios( 0804) and i haven't touched a single thing in the UEFI.

Now onto my first question/worry. I am afraid i may have applied the TIM badly/insufficiently.Truth is the first time i went through with it,i botched it.I tried applying the Kryonaut the way der8auer shows on his youtube guide but i ended up having paste leak over the sides.To make matters worse when i took of the cooler to clean and reapply i managed to get some TIM on the cpu pins.Anxiety,baths in isopropyl alcohol and a nerve-racking slow clean with a toothbrush is what followed.So on my second attempt and whilst sticking to the same method ( the paste felt too hard/rigid to be applied in a peapod fashion) i was more conservative and left a good 1-2mm of uncovered space all around the edges of the IHS,hoping that pressure from the cooler would help spread any excess past from the middle and cover the entirety of it.Here's a screenshot of a 15min Asus Realbench stresstest and the temps i got on HWInfo64.Room temp is around 18-20*C.

Spoiler!

Are these temps ok or do they just point to a bad TIM application/airbubles etc?Also my understanding from what i've read the Tdie value is the actual temp or is this wrong?

Ok,prologue is over! ( i warned you this will be lengthy, don't bite ). I want to OC /meddle with my UEFI and i have zero experience.I've read guides,watched youtube videos and browsed the relevant threads here well in advance of me buying the parts but quite frankly most of the posts fly straight over my head. I know there are quite a few guides out there ( here included) that just revolve around setting an OC preset on the mobo and let the AMD algos do their magic or run something like AI Suite but the following screenshot and my pc habits make worry this is not a viable road for me.I tend to build a PC and forget where the power button is( my nehalem pc has probably been cold booted no more than 10 times since 2008).So i want something that is stable 24/7 and is being used constantly.The following voltages don't give me that peace of mind and from my understanding unless i manually OC i won't avoid them ( or is maybe a simple vcore -offset just enough?).Pic is also taken during the 15mins realbench.

Spoiler!

From what i've read 1.5 is the no-go over zone given by AMD and given my pc habits i would like to stay as close to 1.4 as possible.Is there maybe a guide somewhere in these 500 pages that i've missed or could anyone point me towards to where i should start looking/reading about the whole process?Ideally i would love to get to 4.2Ghz whilst being as close to 1.4V as possible and get my ram as close to 3600 as possible.Also am i correct to assume that i should first be done with my CPU oc and the meddle with the RAM or is my headcanon wrong here too? Btw i am running 2x F4-3600c15 8gb kits from Gskill.

Lastly, i know people suggest you run the system on stock for quite a few days (game,run stress tests w/e) before you OC but these voltages i am seeing quite honestly scare me off and i would like to be done with it before i put the system under heavy load ( be it games or Vivaldi/Premiere).

I understand that this whole thread and the nature of questions as wells as my evident lack of knowledge scream : please hold my hand.Now don't get me wrong,i would be grateful if someone did just that but that's not what i am asking.An answer to if my temps are normal and if i should reapply my TIM and a nod towards a guide on how to manually OC (again it's the damn voltages that have me worried which by the by reach 1.5 even now i m typing this and not running realbench) would be more than enough.

Thanks to anyone that managed to go through this painful display of ignorance and again sorry for messing up your thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in