ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread - Page 571 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread

post #5701 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Terror-Byter View Post
While on this topic... one thing Ive run into is horrible latency issues, where my sound would for a split second stutter.

After having tried disabling multiple systems, and reading up on tons of latency related issues, what solved it for me was a combination of a few things . Firstly, the AMD sata drivers, especially the virtualized driver that gets installed by storeMi, produces a ton of latency and audio issues. Once I unintsalled the AMD Virtualized sata driver, or StoreMi version, the problems diminshed, but were still there, just less frequent.

The next thing I did, was enable Raid mode in the bios and installed the AMD raid drivers, but just used the drives as they are without creating an AMD raid. This too diminished the latency issues, and only happened once every hour or so. I didnt stop there, I kept reading, and googling. Using all kinds of latency monitoring apps, and trying out various ideas posted on a bunch of forums... until very recently I came across this https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...s-windows.html

This seemed to have been the final nail on the coffin for Latency issues, and with the steps I mentioned before and following that guide my latency now looks like this... and I do use the onboard sound card... havent disabled anything onboard now.

And OH, one final note, something I ran into while chancing from AHCI to Raid in the bios, was an infinite windows loading screen. The way I got around this was to hit the reset button every time windows would forever load, eventually getting to the recovery screen, then boot into safemode, did nothing, and reboot. Probem solved for me.

Hope that helps some of you
Have you updated your windows? Which release you have? Mine, as example, is 1809 (RS5) build 17763.
I remember months ago something happened about the bios WMI and windows timer so Hwinfo and all the same software (or the same windows) had to update accordingly to read correctly the CPU speed.

DPCLatency is know to have bad reading in windows 10. Best is LatencyMon (here: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon).

Regarding to switch from AHCI to RAID was really a bad idea. Luckily you solved, but there is a correct way to switch, if you need-it, and google-it and/or wiki can help you.

Ryzen 1700 - 4,0 Ghz @1,31 (IBT-avx load) + ram @3466 14-13-13-13-22-36-1t
Zen
(20 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700 @4.1+ Ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
MSI VEGA 64 LC
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600c16 2x8 GB @3500 c13
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 512 GB
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black 500 Gb
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 2 TB
Power Supply
Corsair Hx1000i
Cooling
Alphacool 480 UT60 with Eisblock XPX
Case
NOX Hummer
Operating System
WIN 10 x64 RS3
Monitor
ASUS PB278
Monitor
ASUS MG278Q Freesync
Keyboard
Coolermaster MECH
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
Logitech
Audio
Integrated Motherboard
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by LicSqualo View Post
Have you updated your windows? Which release you have? Mine, as example, is 1809 (RS5) build 17763.
I remember months ago something happened about the bios WMI and windows timer so Hwinfo and all the same software (or the same windows) had to update accordingly to read correctly the CPU speed.

DPCLatency is know to have bad reading in windows 10. Best is LatencyMon (here: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon).

Regarding to switch from AHCI to RAID was really a bad idea. Luckily you solved, but there is a correct way to switch, if you need-it, and google-it and/or wiki can help you.

Yes I did use latencymon to narrow down what was causing the latency issue, for me it tunred out to be storport.sys the windows storage manager driver, but it was only a symptom. I then knew it had something to do with storage. Things I tried to narrow it down further was uninstalling the Samsung NVME driver and downloading the latest and re-installing that, which had no effect. What did have an effect is when I completely disabled the sata controllers in the bios. But since I had drives on those ports which I need to use, I had to re-enable them, which then took me down the path of trying various versions of the sata drivers. Both from AMD, StoreMi, and the windows default ones. The AMD and StoreMi drivers turned out to be the worse ones causing audio stutters every 10-15 minutes or so, no matter which version of the driver I used. The default windows sata driver only caused alot less audio stutters, only every hour or so, but were still present, and thats when I thought I trying to different way of accessing the drives on those ports using a completely different kind of driver ie. the RAID driver. This then only caused Audio stutters once or twice per day. And only after I added the AHCI power managment option and configured it via that link in my previos post did the audio stutters completely go away. I then tried out the AHCI driver again (Not RAID) and the stutters were back. So I just defaulted to using the RAID drivers. And with the current configuration, my system is now very snappy, really good responsiveness on mouse and keyboard, especially in gaming, and no stutters at all. And no high latency reported by latencymon due to storeport.sys.

Windows is the latest version too... Windows 10 Pro 1809, 17763.379

It might also be worth noting that I have 4 drives on my sata ports... 2x 1tb ssds, and 2x 8tb WD Reds, both setup as a Storagespace mirror arrays. I cant say for sure, but this might very well be a contributing factor. There is a reason for going the Storagespace mirror route though. The reason for mirror, is a no brainer, but the reason for using Storeagespaces instead of other mirror raid options are for compatability. If my AMD system dies, I can just pull those drives out, and slap them into my X79 board, and all the data is there. If I had set up an AMD Mirror array, those drives would not have been accesable on my Intel board. I also considered getting a cheap LSI Raid controller off ebay, but I couldnt find a good PCI-e x4 card for that. They all seem to be PCI-e X8 cards, which means having to sacrifce 8 lanes just for that card, leaving only 8 lanes left for the Titan X Pascal.

This has been a 7 month battle with this AMD Ryzen platform for me. Only now, finnaly my system is running smoothly and snappy, leaving me more time to focus on whats truely important... DRAM OVERCLOCKING

<Ryzen [email protected]> <Corsair H115i> <Asus Crosshair VII Wifi Bios 1201> <TeamGroup Dark Pro 8Pack 4x8GB [email protected] CL14> <Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)> <Corsair RM1000i> <Alienware AW3418DW>
<Samsung 970 PRO 512GB> <2xSamsung 950 PRO 1TB (Raid 1)> <2x WD Red 8TB (Raid 1)>
post #5703 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by nick name View Post
I've seen 3dmark give bad readings, but I've never seen HWiNFO give bad readings. What else are you running? There has to be something interfering that might be running in the background. What do you have installed?

I had considered there might have been something in the background, old driver or something interfiering with the readings, so at one point I took out the nvme, and fresh installed Windows 10 on a sata ssd I have spare. Clean install, and installed nothing else, not even drivers. I ran monitoring apps off a usb stick, and found the same wierd cpu speed peaks. Then installed all AMD and hardware official but basic drivers, as in no bloaty software, and still the same thing. My only conclusion now is that it must be a faulty sensor, either within the cpu, or the motherboard. It doesnt really cause any noticible issues, or add any extra performace as the numbers seem to suggest, I still get more or less the same benchmark performance numbers everyone else gets, and no crashes when it happens... and now while Im actually writing this... im wondering... could this be the cause or related to the latency issues I had... hmm... food for thought. Other than getting another chip and board... cant think of what else to try to narrow down the crazy cpu speeds occasionally reported.

<Ryzen [email protected]> <Corsair H115i> <Asus Crosshair VII Wifi Bios 1201> <TeamGroup Dark Pro 8Pack 4x8GB [email protected] CL14> <Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)> <Corsair RM1000i> <Alienware AW3418DW>
<Samsung 970 PRO 512GB> <2xSamsung 950 PRO 1TB (Raid 1)> <2x WD Red 8TB (Raid 1)>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5704 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Anyone else see that the next Crosshair series will include the Hero and the Formula?

Edit:

And the Impact? What is the Impact?

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |
post #5705 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by nick name View Post
Anyone else see that the next Crosshair series will include the Hero and the Formula?
https://wccftech.com/asus-x570-mothe...cpus-leak-out/

My Rig
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
X370 Taichi
GPU
Radeon RX480 8GB
RAM
F4-3200c14d-16gtz
Power Supply
Corsair TX650W
Cooling
Masterliquid 240
▲ hide details ▲
post #5706 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by numlock66 View Post
https://videocardz.com/newz/upcoming...0-motherboards

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |
post #5707 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Very interesting! Of course it's rumoured that CH7 will get PCIE 4 with CPU upgrade - which would be very cool as not long had to replace my motherboard so can't justify buying a new one. I'll get SO frustrated knowing my CPU is being held back by not updating my motherboard!

Very happy now I have my lovely 16 threads back after my 24 hour experiment with the 2200G - great cpu if you're on a budget, but I couldn't wait to get my 1700x back in!

Alza have picked up my G.Skill memory for RMA - hopefully that goes nice and smoothly and they just replace it. I hate hanging around for RMAs! Also, my Hynix Vengeance LPX doesn't seem to OC too well, but going to try working way up to 3466..... this dual rank memory seems to OC quite differently. It does run more efficiently, but harder (so far) to OC.

Ryzen 1700x Current Bios - 2203

About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
Amiga10
(18 items)
CPU
R7 1700X @ 4.13GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Raadeon RX 580 8GB Black Edition
RAM
G.Skill F4-4266C19D-16GTZR
Hard Drive
ADATA SX8200NP NVME
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632
Optical Drive
ASUS BW=16D1HT Blueray
Power Supply
Corsair RM 1000
Cooling
Fractal Design S36
Cooling
Gskill FTB-3500C5-DR Memory Fan Turbulence III 3500RPM
Cooling
2 x Riing 140mm
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Riing
Operating System
Windows 10 Creators Ed
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Keyboard
No brand cheap gaming!
Mouse
Microsoft Mobile Wireless Mouse 4000
▲ hide details ▲
post #5708 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Master of Black Snow

Rep: 699 (Unique: 518)
Quote: Originally Posted by crakej View Post
Very interesting! Of course it's rumoured that CH7 will get PCIE 4 with CPU upgrade - which would be very cool as not long had to replace my motherboard so can't justify buying a new one. I'll get SO frustrated knowing my CPU is being held back by not updating my motherboard!

Very happy now I have my lovely 16 threads back after my 24 hour experiment with the 2200G - great cpu if you're on a budget, but I couldn't wait to get my 1700x back in!

Alza have picked up my G.Skill memory for RMA - hopefully that goes nice and smoothly and they just replace it. I hate hanging around for RMAs! Also, my Hynix Vengeance LPX doesn't seem to OC too well, but going to try working way up to 3466..... this dual rank memory seems to OC quite differently. It does run more efficiently, but harder (so far) to OC.
Meh. 4.0 would be nice, but I have gotten along just fine w/o it. I doubt there is a switch prebuilt into this board that would enable it by simply replacing the CPU.

I do plan to upgrade later but am wondering if R9 will work on this board or if it's the EPYC socket only. Cause that would be an awesome jump in performance over R7 1800x performance. I would pay the listed msrp of $560 for that. Paid $500 for my early adopted chip when purchased from Newegg.

Hopefully R9 does work. Not that my system is specifically a workstation system. Mine is a do everything as necessary system. But hot damn I want that chip, I have a little kid so photos and videos go hand in hand with being a parent. Cannot wait to know if R9 is compatible with this board.

~Ceadder

Black snow
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZSK
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Adata m.2
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova
Cooling
EKWB Crosshair VI Acetyl Monoblock
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit USB
Monitor
Samsung NU6900
Keyboard
Corsair K55
Mouse
Corsair M65
Other
Xbox Wireless Controller: Winter Forces Special Edition - Xbox One/Xbox One S/Windows 10
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard
Crosshair IV Formula
GPU
RAM
Corsair Dominator
Hard Drive
x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0
Hard Drive
Samsun 750 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
EK D5 Vario
Cooling
EK x3 250 RGB
Cooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silent Fans
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Classified
Cooling
Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing.
Cooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings
Cooling
EK x3 CSQ Clean Acrylic
Cooling
EK RX 480 Copper/Acetyl
Case
HAF 932
Operating System
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM
Monitor
Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen
Keyboard
Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know what I'm going to replace it with.
Mouse
Logitech g9x
Mouse
COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad
Audio
Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers
Other
Creative X-Fi
Other
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Ceadderman; 03-23-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #5709 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
Meh. 4.0 would be nice, but I have gotten along just fine w/o it. I doubt there is a switch prebuilt into this board that would enable it by simply replacing the CPU.

I do plan to upgrade later but am wondering if R9 will work on this board or if it's the EPYC socket only. Cause that would be an awesome jump in performance over R7 1800x performance. I would pay the listed msrp of $560 for that. Paid $500 for my early adopted chip when purchased from Newegg.

Hopefully R9 does work. Not that my system is specifically. Mine is a do everything as necessary system. But hot damn I want that chip, I have a little kid so photos and videos go hand in hand with being a parent. Cannot wait to know if R9 is compatible with this board.

~Ceadder
Rumour has it that PCIE 4 uses the same bus, and that because the tracks on the CH7 are under a certain length, PCIE 4 may work out of the box, but it's not confirmed yet. Obviously this would only work on the CPU connected bus, not the chipset. If it works on the M.2 slot, we could have double speed M.2 which would be quite nice

I'm sure our boards can support the 16 core part - we're hardly drawing anything compared to what it could do! I'm up for the 3700x 12 core myself.

Ryzen 1700x Current Bios - 2203

About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
Amiga10
(18 items)
CPU
R7 1700X @ 4.13GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Raadeon RX 580 8GB Black Edition
RAM
G.Skill F4-4266C19D-16GTZR
Hard Drive
ADATA SX8200NP NVME
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632
Optical Drive
ASUS BW=16D1HT Blueray
Power Supply
Corsair RM 1000
Cooling
Fractal Design S36
Cooling
Gskill FTB-3500C5-DR Memory Fan Turbulence III 3500RPM
Cooling
2 x Riing 140mm
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Riing
Operating System
Windows 10 Creators Ed
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Keyboard
No brand cheap gaming!
Mouse
Microsoft Mobile Wireless Mouse 4000
▲ hide details ▲
post #5710 of 5993 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Master of Black Snow

Rep: 699 (Unique: 518)
Quote: Originally Posted by crakej View Post
Rumour has it that PCIE 4 uses the same bus, and that because the tracks on the CH7 are under a certain length, PCIE 4 may work out of the box, but it's not confirmed yet. Obviously this would only work on the CPU connected bus, not the chipset. If it works on the M.2 slot, we could have double speed M.2 which would be quite nice

I'm sure our boards can support the 16 core part - we're hardly drawing anything compared to what it could do! I'm up for the 3700x 12 core myself.
Yeah I could stand 8thread increase over current setup if that's what I am locked to. Rather have the R9 however. Get a load of that 5.1ghz boost clock.

~Ceadder

Black snow
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZSK
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Adata m.2
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova
Cooling
EKWB Crosshair VI Acetyl Monoblock
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit USB
Monitor
Samsung NU6900
Keyboard
Corsair K55
Mouse
Corsair M65
Other
Xbox Wireless Controller: Winter Forces Special Edition - Xbox One/Xbox One S/Windows 10
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard
Crosshair IV Formula
GPU
RAM
Corsair Dominator
Hard Drive
x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0
Hard Drive
Samsun 750 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
EK D5 Vario
Cooling
EK x3 250 RGB
Cooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silent Fans
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Classified
Cooling
Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing.
Cooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings
Cooling
EK x3 CSQ Clean Acrylic
Cooling
EK RX 480 Copper/Acetyl
Case
HAF 932
Operating System
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM
Monitor
Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen
Keyboard
Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know what I'm going to replace it with.
Mouse
Logitech g9x
Mouse
COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad
Audio
Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers
Other
Creative X-Fi
Other
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Ceadderman; 03-23-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in