ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread - Page 949 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread

post #9481 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
Thanks for data .

I guess the way the SMU FW will impact a CPU will depend on various factors, besides silicon characteristics.

My R5 3600 will do ACB of 4.2GHz on all UEFIs when loaded with say Kahru RAM Test. Where the SMU FW comes into play for my CPU sample is when I do PBO+xxxMHz.

This ZIP has WMVs of PBO+150MHz on "Official" UEFI 2501 & 2703 and also 0002 with SMU FW 46.34.00.

Today did another rerun of UEFI 0002M-FIE and gotta say SMU FW 46.49.00 is it for now ...
Thanks for the info!

I must be hitting the FIT voltage limit on my 3900X as turning on PBO in any form doesn't seem to impact my performance at all. The uptick from the modded 46.49.00 is pretty nice though, it took me from 74th percentile in userbenchmark to 99th. Which, is interesting that a sub 5% gain, could move my result that much. It is a testament to just how similar the performance of all 3900Xs is in userbenchmark.

I can't complain too much though, since my CPU result, in that benchmark at least, is better than 99% of the other 3900Xs tested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 31 (Unique: 22)
The new R Master seems to report higher frequencies better - I actually see 4.5 on it.

HWInfo is still better though, showing us the proper multiplier for each core. 5 cores are happy to boost to 4.6 (not ACB!) - but it seems to be only for lighter loads. Sometimes I'll get the odd 4.63 reported.

Ryzen 9 3900X | Current Bios - 0002+(The Stilt modded ver) | Crosshair VII Hero | 16GB Patriot Steel 4400CL19 @ 3733CL14 | ADATA SX8200NP 480GB | Fractal Design S36 AIO

About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
post #9483 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM
►¿¿¿

Rep: 49 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag6oE4SOsCmDhWrG...1MHjV?e=eZyaGp

Unless you specify "Status" command, the program doesn't print anything or wait for input.

If you want the app to run every time the system starts up, I suggest you extract the contents of the folder to sysroot\Windows\system32.
Then create a shortcut for HPET.exe and place it in the folder that is opened when you open run (Winkey + R) and type "shell:startup".

The application or its driver (inpout) won't be running in the background, but the driver will remain installed in the system.
The driver can be uninstalled from Device Manage (Show hidden devices >> Non-Plug and Play Drivers >> inputx64) if the application is no longer needed.
Then you can remove the three files from the System32 folder as well. The folder the files are extracted to doesn't have to be System32 however, whatever location it is, it must be included in the PATH environment variable (so that the driver can be found).
That is absolutely awesome.

-.-
(14 items)
CPU
3700x
Motherboard
Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
RAM
G.skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL14
Hard Drive
SX8200 Pro 1TB +30 TB Spinning Rust
Power Supply
Seasonic SSR-1000TR
Cooling
Dark Rock 4 Pro
Case
Fractal R6 (Dont buy, terrible HDD trays)
Operating System
Win 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Viewsonic VX2268wm
Keyboard
SteelKeys 6G
Mouse
Pro Intellimouse
Mousepad
QcK Heavy/Artisan Zero XL FX
Audio
Craptive AE-5
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9484 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
Did it actually work?
I have no such tool to prove if it was working, but i think there was a reduction in dpc latency shown by latmon and smoother games. Might be placebo, i don't really know. Only way to test it is using a GB/MSI motherboard and try it.

Quote: Originally Posted by crakej View Post
When someone has made it very clear how long these things take, and they have made every effort to accommodate you, you just want more - "even if it is placebo".

You don't think that's even a tiny bit unreasonable?

Why shouldn't @mtrai be pee'd off and frustrated? You clearly don't read everything, or have a poor understanding of what you're reading. Then @The Stilt helps out by giving you exactly what you need, and the only way you'll get it, and you're like, thanks for your 'efforts'.

I was going to say something sooner, but I thought you might have actually understood what you were being told. You can feel however you like, yes, but so can those you keep asking for stuff that takes a day, and doesn't do what you want.

I'm really happy with the bios changes that mtrai, gupsterg and The Stilt have made available to us. Thank you!

How lucky are we?
What? Accomodate me? I asked once and left him alone after that, why would he be upset with me?

Unfortunately even if Stilt solution didn't work as expected in the end, i still thanked him, what else i have to do?

I think i have already shown enough respect for the likes of iusmus stilt and guptserg, even mtrai until he started all of this.

Tryndamere
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard
Asus C7H Hero Wifi
GPU
Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G-Skill Tridentz OC 16 gb 3800 c14-16-17-16-32-48
Power Supply
EVGA G3 Gold
Cooling
Noctua D15
Case
Phanteks Enthoo pro TG
Operating System
Win 10 1903 build 18950 64bit
Monitor
Viewsonic XG2401
Keyboard
Fnatic RGB Cherry mx brown
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless 950 dpi
Mousepad
Artisan ZERO Fx
Audio
JBL305
▲ hide details ▲
post #9485 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 834 (Unique: 318)
Quote: Originally Posted by Synoxia View Post
I have no such tool to prove if it was working, but i think there was a reduction in dpc latency shown by latmon and smoother games. Might be placebo, i don't really know. Only way to test it is using a GB/MSI motherboard and try it.

What? Accomodate me? I asked once and left him alone after that, why would he be upset with me?

Unfortunately even if Stilt solution didn't work as expected in the end, i still thanked him, what else i have to do?

I think i have already shown enough respect for the likes of iusmus stilt and guptserg, even mtrai until he started all of this.
MSI B350I at least seems to have this option (Advanced >> Integrated peripherals).
If I manage to make a working bios for it, I'll try it and see if it works or not.

What tools am I supposed to check the HPET with and what exactly am I looking for?
post #9486 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
finally got a zen2. Might be just a stepping stone until i see reviews of the 3950X.
Anyway. It's set into a C7H. I installed the latest 2703 BIOS from ASUS homepage via flashback.

It did fine picking up the 3200 CL14 XMP/DOCP settings, and responded well to lowering timings.
However, after increasing memory frequency just slightly i get the 2:1 effect leaving me with abysmal mid-80s timings on as little as 3333 or 3400MHz. The automatic adjustment for 1:1 FCLK does not appear to work at all.

There is a very obvious dropdown menu to manually configure FCLK. But whenever i lay hands on it and reboot, the board will get stuck on random POST codes and not even cycle over to safe defaults. Only way to get back to BIOS is resetting CMOS.

Have any of you run into this problem, and how did you work your way around it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-09-11 22-44-12.png
Views:	4
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	294832  

post #9487 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 834 (Unique: 318)
Guess what, the HPET option MSI has added separately to their bios...
Does exactly nothing.

Neither of the two HPET (MSI's own or AMD's chipset) options or the Msi option do.

Rebuilt the 1.0.0.3 1.CM based bios from June to 1.0.0.3ABBA level, FW wise (all blocks).
Suprisingly that made a huge difference in the overall functionality, eventhou I originally thought the issues were at MSI's side.
All boot issues and hanging menus seem to be gone. Didn't expect that from the AMD stack update alone.

Spoiler!
post #9488 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
You have a setting to lock UCLK=MEMCLK and a setting for the speed of Infinity Fabric, both are under the AMD menus.

There are a few things to consider, like SOC, VTT, VDDP, VDDG, what memory do you have and can you post a screenshot of Ryzen Master?

AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | Corsair H150i Pro | Asus X470 Crosshair VII Hero (bios 0002M-FIE SMU46.49 gupsterg-mod) | MSI GTX1080Ti @AIO Water(Arctic Cooling)
32GB(2x16) G.SKill Trident Z RGB @3800(16-16-16-30-42-1T DR B-Die) 1:1:1 | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Corsair RM850x | NZXT H700
post #9489 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
Guess what, the HPET option MSI has added separately to their bios...
Does exactly nothing.

Neither of the two HPET (MSI's own or AMD's chipset) options or the Msi option do.

Rebuilt the 1.0.0.3 1.CM based bios from June to 1.0.0.3ABBA level, FW wise (all blocks).
Suprisingly that made a huge difference in the overall functionality, eventhou I originally thought the issues were at MSI's side.
All boot issues and hanging menus seem to be gone. Didn't expect that from the AMD stack update alone.

Spoiler!
Curious, as AMD themselves were recommending to disable hpet for a 5% perf gain.
Source https://www.anandtech.com/show/12678...yzen-results/3

Another interesting thing is that on my previous x370 disabling HPET effectively made ryzen master unable to start, which indicated HPET function was effectively disabled.

Wondering what's really going on here...

Tryndamere
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard
Asus C7H Hero Wifi
GPU
Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G-Skill Tridentz OC 16 gb 3800 c14-16-17-16-32-48
Power Supply
EVGA G3 Gold
Cooling
Noctua D15
Case
Phanteks Enthoo pro TG
Operating System
Win 10 1903 build 18950 64bit
Monitor
Viewsonic XG2401
Keyboard
Fnatic RGB Cherry mx brown
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless 950 dpi
Mousepad
Artisan ZERO Fx
Audio
JBL305
▲ hide details ▲
post #9490 of 9582 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
You have a setting to lock UCLK=MEMCLK and a setting for the speed of Infinity Fabric, both are under the AMD menus.
Thank you, i thought this would be enabled by default. Will give it a shot in a moment before i go to sleep.
[b]update[/b9
Quote: Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
There are a few things to consider, like SOC, VTT, VDDP, VDDG, what memory do you have and can you post a screenshot of Ryzen Master?
My RAM:

Sadly AMD do not provide Ryzen Master for Linux.

update
gave it a shot. Well, 3 actually.
Found the uclk==memclk you mentioned. Set it, left FCLK above alone (Auto) at first. Reboot. 83ns latency.
Alright, maybe i still do need to set the FCLK manually and Auto is worthless.
Spoiler!

Reboot, test, 83ns.

Back to BIOS. the FCLK setting from the menu where i set UCLK == MEMCLK did save something called FCLK, but apparently *not this* FCLK, which i previously changed and failed to boot with.
Spoiler!

Now with 1:1 locked and FCLK already configured through the other menu... what could go wrong if i just put the 1667 in here as well.
Reboot -> stuck on random POST code, same issue as before.

And just to make things even more confusing, after snooping around the menus for a bit i've also found a THIRD FCLK.
Spoiler!

Changing this one does literally nothing. It does not even detect as a change to be saved when i press F10 to save+quit.

Sorry to be a bother guys, I'm probably missing something extremely obvious here.

Last edited by boatmurder; 09-11-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in