ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread - Page 955 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread

post #9541 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by CJMitsuki View Post
Have 32gb (4x8gb) B Die stable at 3800mhz cl14
Insane as always, lol. How could you run BCLK oc on C7H? Mine has XFR disabled when trying BCLK over 100mhz.
Also, how did you change PBO settings this time? I have the same CPU.

Tryndamere
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard
Asus C7H Hero Wifi
GPU
Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G-Skill Tridentz OC 16 gb 3800 c14-16-17-16-32-48
Power Supply
EVGA G3 Gold
Cooling
Noctua D15
Case
Phanteks Enthoo pro TG
Operating System
Win 10 1903 build 18950 64bit
Monitor
Viewsonic XG2401
Keyboard
Fnatic RGB Cherry mx brown
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless 950 dpi
Mousepad
Artisan ZERO Fx
Audio
JBL305
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Synoxia; 09-14-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Richard Palmer View Post
Well that just sucks. I've put my old 1700x back in and both channels work just fine with that CPU. With 2501 I was able to get it running on 2 channels for about 10 minutes or so before BSOD and then C5. It's just a really odd issue, but if it doesn't get fixed before long I'm probably just going to but the bullet and get an X570 :/
Well if it is working with the 1700x without an issue then I doubt that it is the board giving you issues. When I had my second C7H fail on me, mostly due to my own doing I decided to go with a X570 board, but due to pricing here in South Africa I ended up getting the MSI Meg X570 Ace which I am pretty happy about, the one thing which made this board good for me is the Qpost LCD on the board. I just cannot see myself using a board without it anymore.

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
GALAX RTX 2080 TI OC
RAM
G.Skill f4-3200c14d-16gtzr tridentz rgb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
CoolerMaster MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2717D 27" UltraSharp InfinityEdge LED Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
post #9543 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:07 AM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 31 (Unique: 22)
Quote: Originally Posted by Richard Palmer View Post
Well that just sucks. I've put my old 1700x back in and both channels work just fine with that CPU. With 2501 I was able to get it running on 2 channels for about 10 minutes or so before BSOD and then C5. It's just a really odd issue, but if it doesn't get fixed before long I'm probably just going to but the bullet and get an X570 :/
Did your timings try using tRDWR and tRWRD on <auto>? This may help you.

2501 is NOT an easy bios to set up memory, either try the modded 0002 bios or 2703.

I see quite a few newbies here - could I request that you go to the Tools>Quick Links>Edit Signature (top of this screen) and put in the basic details of your systems - it makes it much easier for us to help you

Ryzen 9 3900X | Current Bios - 2801 | Crosshair VII Hero | 16GB Patriot Steel 4400CL19 @ 3733CL14 | ADATA SX8200NP 480GB | Fractal Design S36 AIO

About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9544 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:17 AM
DRAM Obsessor

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Synoxia View Post
Insane as always, lol. How could you run BCLK oc on C7H? Mine has XFR disabled when trying BCLK over 100mhz.
Also, how did you change PBO settings this time? I have the same CPU.

You can re-enable PBO when bclk OCing with Ryzen Master. Its pushes you into Manual OC when changing the bclk for some unknown reason. As for PBO you just have to enable it in the AMD CBS or AMD Overclocking section. Remember to turn Performance Enhancer to Default bc it will override the PBO settings with its own. The limits for the PPT 395 for the C7H, TDC is 255, and EDC is 255. Also, I wouldnt ever use the Aida/Geekbench bias anymore. Something changed in it and it will double your effective latency from 27ns to around 51ns according to SiSoft Sandra and Passmark Perf Test. The other Bias settings arent worth a crap either...Aggressive is unbootable and Gentle is well...too gentle.

To everyone that worked on those bios mods, awesome job. Although AMDs most recent SMU update is too weak on the boosting for me. It does boost a higher single core clock by 25mhz but overall is a performance loss for my setup. The previous one is great for memory and cpu though, its the best bios to date with the 0002+ SMU Mod. The newer firmware seems to drop cpu performance if my memory settings arent a specific setup and the cpu doesnt have a specific voltage. I will keep testing newer mods but for now the 0002+ that Mtrai had uploaded worked best for my specific case. The newer SMU is amazing on the efficiency though.

CPU- AMD Ryzen [email protected] *
MOTHERBOARD- ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU- EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 w/ XOC [email protected] (Morpheus Cooler)
RAM- G.SKILL TridentZ 32gb (4 x 8gb) @ 3800mhz (14-15-15-24-38-1T)
COOLING- CORSAIR Hydro Series H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 (x7)
CASE- Silverstone RL06 Pro (Modified)
MONITORS- VIOTEK GN34DB (x2)

post #9545 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:41 AM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 39 (Unique: 22)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
I upgraded from 2700X to 3900X and have a sily question how overclock this cpu on crosshair vii manually? I set cpu voltage to 1.3V and regardless if it is multiplier 42.5, 42.75, 43, LL4 or LL5 under heavy load with CPU, FPU and Cache set on in AIDA in hwinfo I still see that those 12 VIDs are on up to 1.060V is how supposed to be and hwinfo is reading it wrong or not? Because in idling I also see up to 1.1V, but when it comes to stock those vids in aida are getting 1.325-1.35V. Are there any other settings I need to set unlock higher VID? Second question is in what app I should test 1900MHz Inifnity Fabric Stability, Karhu Ramtest is enough or this really doesn't stress inifnity, but only I/O die where memory controller is and sticks itself?
If you set Vcore Manually in UEFI, IGNORE the VID reading COMPLETELY. VID is only an Identifier, NOT a Voltage. It is only used when Voltage is set to Auto or Offset in the UEFI. As soon as your VCore is set manually in UEFI VID has absolutely NO EFFECT and should be completely ignored. The Voltage you should be looking at is "SVI2 TFN" in HWinfo. Even when Using or Offset Voltage you should ALWAYS be looking at SVI12 TFN regardless, as it is the ACTUAL voltage your CPU is receiving, and therefore is the relevant Voltage you should be concerned with. VID IS ONLY a Value in Voltage that the CPU is Requesting from the VRM, so thats all the number is, a Request from the CPU to the VRM asking for an amount of Voltage. The actual Voltage the CPU receives is based on a number of variables like Vdroop, LLC, ETC, which is why you want to pay attention to an Actual Voltage Readout, and in this case SVI2 TFN is the most accurate. Hope that helps clarify that for you.

Both Karhu and Your Normal Stability Tests like Y-Cruncher, AIDA64, and Blender, (Or whatever Stability test you are comfortable with using) will let you know if you are stable. Karhu will let you know if your Memory is stable at this IF Clock, Your other normal Stability Tests will let you know if Your CPU is stable at your new IF Clock.

The IF Clock effects more then just the RAM, but the entire System, which is why you need to test stability of both RAM and the CPU. Hope this helps.

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
post #9546 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:04 AM
Stuck in the past

Rep: 35 (Unique: 21)
You can re-enable PBO when bclk OCing with Ryzen Master. Its pushes you into Manual OC when changing the bclk for some unknown reason. As for PBO you just have to enable it in the AMD CBS or AMD Overclocking section. Remember to turn Performance Enhancer to Default bc it will override the PBO settings with its own. The limits for the PPT 395 for the C7H, TDC is 255, and EDC is 255. Also, I wouldnt ever use the Aida/Geekbench bias anymore. Something changed in it and it will double your effective latency from 27ns to around 51ns according to SiSoft Sandra and Passmark Perf Test. The other Bias settings arent worth a crap either...Aggressive is unbootable and Gentle is well...too gentle.

To everyone that worked on those bios mods, awesome job. Although AMDs most recent SMU update is too weak on the boosting for me. It does boost a higher single core clock by 25mhz but overall is a performance loss for my setup. The previous one is great for memory and cpu though, its the best bios to date with the 0002+ SMU Mod. The newer firmware seems to drop cpu performance if my memory settings arent a specific setup and the cpu doesnt have a specific voltage. I will keep testing newer mods but for now the 0002+ that Mtrai had uploaded worked best for my specific case. The newer SMU is amazing on the efficiency though.
I am working a new one based just on the stilt so we can compare the wifi one is done...gonna start on the non wifi shortly after some more coffee. Incidentally I thought of a shorter way to get these out faster since the set up menus rarely change I can re-use the previous hex edited modules. Yesterday redoing the the C7HWIFI using this it only took me about an hour or so vs the about 6 hours with all the hex editing.

I would of had it ready but the damn MS store would not work yesterday morning and eventually me trying to fix finally bonked my windows install and I had to reinstall it and pretty much everything else.

As for performance bias I with you now..these new ones are well just not worth it. And PE4 **** I am not sure what the hell it does now but makes the system unstable, and yess while I can boot with aggressive it will quickly crash in almost anything that stresses anything.

Lastly these new one to play with to see which performs better would of have been out earlier but I rake a sandbur across both my eyelids and for the last week have barely been able to keep my eyes open and look at my pc screen.

both abb and abba do require you to examine all your settings especially your ram settings...especially the end termination ones ie pro odt behaves differently just between the two. While you can use a previous bios settings CMO file from another 002 bios just keep in mind some of the ram timing settings will have to be looked at again. This is a common procedure that NEEDS to be done with any major changes in the bios such a SMU FW swap or bios version change.

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif

Sabertooth 990 FX R 2.0 FX 8120 BL ED. B2 Rev Can over clocked to 5.0( Normally run at 4.4 Ghz )
2 x 8 Gb Corsair Vengence 1600 Ram EVGA Supernova 1050 GS Gold PSU Logitech G502 Proteus Gaming Mouse
Powercolor PCS+ R9 290X x2 CM Storm Trooper Case
SteelSeries Apex Gaming Keyboard SteelSeries Stealth Merc Keyboard (1 broke key)
Several Sata HDs CM Seidron 120 AIO Closed Liquid Cooler
Disabled so not a ton of money.
post #9547 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Stuck in the past

Rep: 35 (Unique: 21)
Here we go. New 0002 bios mod based just on The_Stilts 0002 SMU FW replacement this is for both the WIFI and Non-wifi, they are both in the download.

Some highlights and instructions as usual. I am not responsible for any damage to your system so use at your own risk which is pretty much nil due to flashback. But I still need to say it.

Pasting the read me contained within the zip as well. Note I have not yet actually tested the non-wifi version as I do not have that board.

Quote:
09/15/2019

This mod is solely based on the Stilts 002 SMU FW update with bios options un-hidden for both previous Ryzen Gen (1000/2000) and Matisse (3000) CPUs.

Personal changes to defaults:

Mem Over Clock Fail Count is set 2 to help with mem overclock training.

PCIEx 16/8_1 mode is set to Gen 3 in both failsafe and optimal for stability with RX 5700 GPU this will have no effect on earlier gpus. Default is AUTO and would cause a number of issues.

ASUS GRID Install Service is now set to disable in both failsafe and optimal...who needs bloatware.

Install Instrutions:

Must use USB stick for Flash back.

Rename the correct bios you need WIFI or non WIFI to the correct flashback name.

Correct naming for non WIFI is C7H

Correct naming for WIFI is C7HWIFI

Tip for flashback: Flashback can be finicky on USB sticks that work, try more then one.

If you press the button and it only blinks 3 times and then goes solid it is not flashing either due to name not correct, or usb stick issue with flashback.

Thanks MTRAI
Note fan mode is not unhidden as it unhides other useless message but it is still in the read me notes.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14x...luvpSelbnubQr2

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif

Sabertooth 990 FX R 2.0 FX 8120 BL ED. B2 Rev Can over clocked to 5.0( Normally run at 4.4 Ghz )
2 x 8 Gb Corsair Vengence 1600 Ram EVGA Supernova 1050 GS Gold PSU Logitech G502 Proteus Gaming Mouse
Powercolor PCS+ R9 290X x2 CM Storm Trooper Case
SteelSeries Apex Gaming Keyboard SteelSeries Stealth Merc Keyboard (1 broke key)
Several Sata HDs CM Seidron 120 AIO Closed Liquid Cooler
Disabled so not a ton of money.
post #9548 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)

I see, it was like this on gen 2 ryzen too but you could force it by enalbing "core performance boost" in the bios. I can confirm a small BCLK oc helps these cpu, i went from to 64.9 to 63.5 latency in AIDA like nothing with just 101 bclk... gave it an additional +20mhz just for the sake of seeing more of 4.44 ghz peaks and called it a deal. Now just need to retest the whole setup again i guess XD

EDIT: cjmitsuki, did you knew that you can enable AutoOC along with PBO in ryzen master? "Realistical single core boost" remains the same but as your running higher BCLK than me you can have higher "eye candy" peaks than me. Stock will use 44,5 multipler sometimes, so it's possible i can have a 4.5 peak effectively negating the reason to purchase a 3800x
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	autooc.png
Views:	14
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	295630  

Tryndamere
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard
Asus C7H Hero Wifi
GPU
Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G-Skill Tridentz OC 16 gb 3800 c14-16-17-16-32-48
Power Supply
EVGA G3 Gold
Cooling
Noctua D15
Case
Phanteks Enthoo pro TG
Operating System
Win 10 1903 build 18950 64bit
Monitor
Viewsonic XG2401
Keyboard
Fnatic RGB Cherry mx brown
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless 950 dpi
Mousepad
Artisan ZERO Fx
Audio
JBL305
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Synoxia; 09-15-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #9549 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:33 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 23 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
I upgraded from 2700X to 3900X and have a sily question how overclock this cpu on crosshair vii manually? I set cpu voltage to 1.3V and regardless if it is multiplier 42.5, 42.75, 43, LL4 or LL5 under heavy load with CPU, FPU and Cache set on in AIDA in hwinfo I still see that those 12 VIDs are on up to 1.060V is how supposed to be and hwinfo is reading it wrong or not? Because in idling I also see up to 1.1V, but when it comes to stock those vids in aida are getting 1.325-1.35V. Are there any other settings I need to set unlock higher VID? Second question is in what app I should test 1900MHz Inifnity Fabric Stability, Karhu Ramtest is enough or this really doesn't stress inifnity, but only I/O die where memory controller is and sticks itself?
You need BIOS 2703 minimum to get the VID's reported correctly for the 3900X.

ASUS-Linux
(15 items)
Serenity
(14 items)
Numbskull
(17 items)
CPU
Xeon E5-1660V4
Motherboard
ASUS X99-E-10G-WS
GPU
EVGA 1080TI Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080 Hybrid
GPU
Zotac 1070Ti Mini
RAM
G.Skill Rampage 3000-CL15
Hard Drive
Adata SU-900
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1600T2
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Thermaltake Core X9
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
Monitor
AOC i2269vw 22-Inch
Mouse
Logitech Marble Mouse
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200D-16GTZ TridentZ DDR4
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO M.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
XSPC RX 360 radiator XSPC X4 Photon 170 pump/reservoir 3X Noctua NF-A12X25 fans
Case
Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
HP 27xw
Keyboard
Logitech M520 Keyboard/Mouse combo
CPU
AMD 2920X Threadripper
Motherboard
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black Gaming
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW Hydro
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080XC Hydro Copper
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960EVO
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Pro Neo Threadripper block
Cooling
XSPC X4 Photon 170 Pump/Reservoir times two
Cooling
XSPC RX360 Radiator times two
Cooling
Noctua NF-A12x25 fan
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Black E-ATX
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
AOC 2367F
▲ hide details ▲
post #9550 of 9844 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
you guys, you think you might have pushed the boost a wee bit too much maybe ?

all good so far, on The Stilt's modded bios with 3800X, im not sure im seeing much lower temps but somehow i can run 3800C15 more reliably

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stilt.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	295646  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in