(Official MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC motherboard - Page 14 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(Official MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC motherboard

post #131 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Does anyone know where on this board/back of the socket I can get a manual vcore reading with a multimeter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hello

I recently bought a secondhand X470 M7 and try to overclock my HOF 3600 8G *4 as much as possible.

Actually, previously, I owned C6H and C7H as well. One strategy thing always make me confused is, on C6H, which is X370 chipset(my CPU Ryzen 1700), I can reach 3466 and run memtest pro without any error e.g. reach 800%. However, when the exact same CPU & memories comes to C7H, it never can be stable at 3466. I tried my best to tune some timing/voltage but anyway Memtest pro will report error within few minutes. The stable frequency on C7H is 3200 by using fast profile from Ryzen dram calculator. So my first question, does that mean mem OC on first gen Ryzen is better in X370 than X470?

The story continues. After I sold all these 2 boards, I bought MSI X470 M7 as it's said the best mem OC board in X470. But I still didn't get luck in the same mem OC to 3466. The result is exact the same with C7H that runing on 3200 with fast profile. (But this time I use a 1700x CPU and my original 1700 CPU is under RMA, so actually this is not a strict scientific comparasion) However, when I look into the Aida64 memory test result, it surprised me as the "Read/Write/Copy" speed is lower than on C7H(e.g. on 3200MHz, C7H achieve mostly near 49000 for these 3 but M7 only achieve 46000~47000) but the latency is better(I remember in C7H/C6H it was above 70ns, even 75ns(not sure), but in M7 I can achieve 68~69ns). Anyone know what's the reason? The exact same timing is used in both motherboard and CPU running at 4.0 G. (In MSI board, there is some timing item not mentioned in Ryzen calculator app thus I left them as auto, is it the reason?)

Anyway, beside all of my testing result, for 4 * 8 memory module configuration on Ryzen(no matter 1st gen or 2nd), what could be the best result nowadays?
post #133 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 465 (Unique: 265)
Quote: Originally Posted by JavenLi View Post
Hello

I recently bought a secondhand X470 M7 and try to overclock my HOF 3600 8G *4 as much as possible.

Actually, previously, I owned C6H and C7H as well. One strategy thing always make me confused is, on C6H, which is X370 chipset(my CPU Ryzen 1700), I can reach 3466 and run memtest pro without any error e.g. reach 800%. However, when the exact same CPU & memories comes to C7H, it never can be stable at 3466. I tried my best to tune some timing/voltage but anyway Memtest pro will report error within few minutes. The stable frequency on C7H is 3200 by using fast profile from Ryzen dram calculator. So my first question, does that mean mem OC on first gen Ryzen is better in X370 than X470?

The story continues. After I sold all these 2 boards, I bought MSI X470 M7 as it's said the best mem OC board in X470. But I still didn't get luck in the same mem OC to 3466. The result is exact the same with C7H that runing on 3200 with fast profile. (But this time I use a 1700x CPU and my original 1700 CPU is under RMA, so actually this is not a strict scientific comparasion) However, when I look into the Aida64 memory test result, it surprised me as the "Read/Write/Copy" speed is lower than on C7H(e.g. on 3200MHz, C7H achieve mostly near 49000 for these 3 but M7 only achieve 46000~47000) but the latency is better(I remember in C7H/C6H it was above 70ns, even 75ns(not sure), but in M7 I can achieve 68~69ns). Anyone know what's the reason? The exact same timing is used in both motherboard and CPU running at 4.0 G. (In MSI board, there is some timing item not mentioned in Ryzen calculator app thus I left them as auto, is it the reason?)

Anyway, beside all of my testing result, for 4 * 8 memory module configuration on Ryzen(no matter 1st gen or 2nd), what could be the best result nowadays?

X 470 bios are most likely geared towards use with 2xxx chips which seem to be more efficient and allow for better timings/frequency that 1xxx Ryzen. The X470 board probably sets things such as tertiary timings tighter and soc voltages lower based on that.

Similar thing happened with some AM3+ boards. Example - early bios versions on my 990 GD80 wouldn't play well with 2400mhz ram settings as AM 3 chips weren't capable of hitting those speeds - later updates to the bios made it much easier to hit that frequency as they had tuned it for use with AM3 + chips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JonnyB410 View Post
Does anyone know where on this board/back of the socket I can get a manual vcore reading with a multimeter?
I do not know the answer to your direct question, for that I apologise. But may I ask why you why? Is it that you wish to verify the reported values of your because you think they are reported inaccurately by your board? I ask only out of genuine interest.
post #135 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by constructorx View Post
I do not know the answer to your direct question, for that I apologise. But may I ask why you why? Is it that you wish to verify the reported values of your because you think they are reported inaccurately by your board? I ask only out of genuine interest.

Different boards report voltages at different points when using software, find the right pin and you will have a correct value for what is actually reaching the cpu.

The setting may be 1.45 in bios but after taking out inefficiency in the power delivery system, 1.43 may be what actually is reaching the chip is another example of why the reading reported may be off a bit.

Asus boards tend to under report cpu voltage compared to the other brands in my experience , power usage and cpu temps tell the story.
post #136 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Curious on what the actual offset voltage/LLC is while booting into windows. Its very strange as long as I can boot into windows I do fine on prime and ada...I am thinking it is seeing a huge drop that my CPU does not like.

Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
Different boards report voltages at different points when using software, find the right pin and you will have a correct value for what is actually reaching the cpu.

The setting may be 1.45 in bios but after taking out inefficiency in the power delivery system, 1.43 may be what actually is reaching the chip is another example of why the reading reported may be off a bit.

Asus boards tend to under report cpu voltage compared to the other brands in my experience , power usage and cpu temps tell the story.
Yepp! thought I would ask before I just start stabbing the board lol. I think I can also remove the cpu and ohm out the back of the socket but if someone knew the direct spot it would have made it quicker
post #137 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JonnyB410 View Post
Curious on what the actual offset voltage/LLC is while booting into windows. Its very strange as long as I can boot into windows I do fine on prime and ada...I am thinking it is seeing a huge drop that my CPU does not like.

Yepp! thought I would ask before I just start stabbing the board lol. I think I can also remove the cpu and ohm out the back of the socket but if someone knew the direct spot it would have made it quicker

@Chew may be the best guy to ask around here
post #138 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JavenLi View Post
Hello

Tried to use DRAM Calculator? With 2 memory modules I have seen use the 3733mhz 24/7. I use the 3600 CL 14 1.46v and it works fine.

I'll give you some link for you to read, it might help.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/27694284-post3363.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/26457559-post292.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sem título2.png
Views:	23
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	247918  

post #139 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

Thanks for the answer. So it is a question of precision and specificity. That is a level above. If I get 2020+ Cinebench I stop. For me it is about ensuring I get the best out of my system. I take my hat off to those who push further, just because.
post #140 of 177 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the answer. So it is a question of precision and specificity. That is a level above. If I get 2020+ Cinebench I stop. For me it is about ensuring I get the best out of my system. I take my hat off to those who push further, just because.

How much do you do in Single Core on CB15?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in