(Official MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC motherboard - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(Official MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC motherboard

Old 05-19-2018, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
os2wiz Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by MrYoke View Post
How do you like the board so far? My x370 Gigabyte gaming 5 is giving me a bunch of headaches and I would like to find the most stable x470 motherboard currently out. (With some nice overclocking tools and rear buttons)
It has all the bells and whistles you are asking for plus a better m.2 heatsink/than any other X470 board. The vrm's are good and more than adequater, but Crosshair VII does have better quality vrms. I believe they are overkill though NOT essential for overclocking the 2700X optimally. I do a 24/7 4.2 GHZ overclock and am stability test proven up through 4.25 GHZ. I do not think going above that for 24/7 use is wise. You get a drop more performance but burn a whole lot more energy for the negligible performance difference. This board is great for memory overclocking right now I am at 3466mhz CL15-15-15-32-64.

Technology is NOT a liberator . Whom technology serves is a class question.
Technology wielded by the capitalist class benefits only the exploiters.
Technology wielded by the working class will serve ALL Humanity.
Ryzen 2700X at 4.2 GHZ, MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC motherboard, AlphaCool Eisbaer 360 cpu AIO cooler
16 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 4266mhz CL-19-19-19-39 1.40v Samsung 960 EVO m.2 NVMe 512 GB
MSI Gaming X GEForce GTX 1080 Ti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 03:08 PM
New to Overclock.net
MrYoke

Thanks for the reply! I was planning on getting the Gigabyte's top end x470 board, but with my bad experience with them, i'm unlikely to trust them this time around.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
os2wiz Level 1

Thanks for the reply! I was planning on getting the Gigabyte's top end x470 board, but with my bad experience with them, i'm unlikely to trust them this time around.
I had the same issue with Asus. I had previously owned the Crosshair V and Crosshair V Formula Z in the FX 8350 days. When Ryzen came along in March 2017 I bought Crosshair VI. But the board was a complete brick at. launch. Microcenter had more than half their initial Crosshair VI boards returned that week. That is why I dropped Asus there was no acceptable excuse to issue boards that were unusable. I tried the MSI X370 Titanium. It worked out of the box.

Ryzen 2700X at 4.2 GHZ, MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC motherboard, AlphaCool Eisbaer 360 cpu AIO cooler
16 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 4266mhz CL-19-19-19-39 1.40v Samsung 960 EVO m.2 NVMe 512 GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
os2wiz Level 1

See the Level1 review on you tube for the MSI X470 Gaming M7 AX. Got a positive review. he criticized only the aesthetics, which has me dumbfounded. It is one of the nicer looking boards out there. It has rgb, but it is understated as I like it.

By the way MSI jist posted a new official bios 1.2 for the board. I think it fine tunes the precision boost settings. I prefer manual overclocking so that is unimportant to me.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Linux Lobbyist
mechavore884 Level 1

@os2wiz TYTY good sir

Sidenote, may be a dumb question here what RAM is everyone running (preferably low profile in my case cuz the R1). Currently running corsair dominator RGB but its ruthless trying to get it to run at the designated clock speeds so im planning to return it for something else.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
os2wiz Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by mechavore884 View Post
@os2wiz TYTY good sir

Sidenote, may be a dumb question here what RAM is everyone running (preferably low profile in my case cuz the R1). Currently running corsair dominator RGB but its ruthless trying to get it to run at the designated clock speeds so im planning to return it for something else.
Corsair tends to use cheaper memory and charge higher prices. Very few Corsair dimms have Samsung B die chips. I said few not none. Better go with G.Skill Trident Z. I would buy 3600mhz memory with CL16-16-16 timings. Not cheap but greatly improvews your chances for higher speed and higher performance. Remember tight timings are just as important as memory speed for memory performance. I myself have G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 4266 CL19-19-19-39 . a 16GB kit with 2 dimms will give better performance and speed than two 16GB dimms (32GB kit). 4 dimm kits will give the worst memory speed.

A side bar: The new 1.2 bios seems fairly stable but has slightly decreased my open GL FPS scores on cinebench 15. Bios 1.1 gave the highest FPS openGL scores but lacked some fine tuning on Precison Boost. I overclock manually any way so I may decide to revert to bios 1.1 form the 1.2 I just installed 2 days ago.

Last edited by os2wiz; 05-24-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 PM
Linux Lobbyist
mechavore884 Level 1

hmmm gotchya last time i did a serious OC on RAM it was kingston hyperX line (this was back in the i7 9XX days) and it held up quite well. I shall look into the new G.skills hopefully the heat spreader isn't too large on them (but heck worst case i can just remove them). I just upgraded to the 1.2 Bios but haven't taken it for a "spin" just yet.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
os2wiz Level 1

Here is my latest achievement in benchmarking for the MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC board with my Ryzen 7 2700X using Real Bench. For some reason the .png file consistently fails to upload. It is only 186kb so I do not understand this issue.

Last edited by os2wiz; 06-03-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: failed upload
Old 05-30-2018, 01:44 PM
New to Overclock.net
The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about The Stilt has a spectacular aura about

Got myself a X470 Gaming PRO Carbon.
Obviously it isn't the same board as the M7, but there were few QC related issues which might affect this board as well.

Right out of the box I noticed that the thermal pads used under the VRM heatsinks were already pumping out the oils (indicating a low quality pad).
I removed the heatsinks so that I could replace them with a higher quality material, which doesn't have the same issue (T-Global TGX 1mm).

After removing the heatsinks I noticed couple additional issues:

- The top heatsink (for 2x CR_CPU & 2x CR_SoC phases) was installed properly, but the thermal pad was misaligned resulting one high-side SoC fet and two low-side CR fets making no contact with the heatsink.
- The vertically mounted heatsink was cross threaded (both screws) and it was loose. The thermal pad was properly aligned, but there was basically no contact what so ever with the fets.

The VRM on both of these boards will be running hotter than the VRM on competing boards at the same price points (due fake phase config and inferior components), however in case the VRM appears to be abnormally hot I'd suggest you check the contact of the VRM heatsinks.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
os2wiz Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
Got myself a X470 Gaming PRO Carbon.
Obviously it isn't the same board as the M7, but there were few QC related issues which might affect this board as well.

Right out of the box I noticed that the thermal pads used under the VRM heatsinks were already pumping out the oils (indicating a low quality pad).
I removed the heatsinks so that I could replace them with a higher quality material, which doesn't have the same issue (T-Global TGX 1mm).

After removing the heatsinks I noticed couple additional issues:

- The top heatsink (for 2x CR_CPU & 2x CR_SoC phases) was installed properly, but the thermal pad was misaligned resulting one high-side SoC fet and two low-side CR fets making no contact with the heatsink.
- The vertically mounted heatsink was cross threaded (both screws) and it was loose. The thermal pad was properly aligned, but there was basically no contact what so ever with the fets.

The VRM on both of these boards will be running hotter than the VRM on competing boards at the same price points (due fake phase config and inferior components), however in case the VRM appears to be abnormally hot I'd suggest you check the contact of the VRM heatsinks.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/editp...ost&p=27474100

No oil pumped out from my vrm heatsink. "Fake" phasing config is a completely subjective conclusion on your part. On this point I will NOT bow to your "wisdom". The parts have already been discussed at length and in themselves are not inadequate but not as capable as the overkill on the Crosshair VII. Level 1 did a thorough review of this board and it does Not agree with your assessment. The vrm arrangement on the X470 Gaming AC is DIFFERENT than the Pro Carbon.

Last edited by os2wiz; 06-03-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in