Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI overclocking & discussion thread - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI overclocking & discussion thread

post #21 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Not new to overclock.net
kd5151 is an unknown quantity at this point kd5151 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any tricks to installing a motherboard with a pre installed I/O sheild? What about the standoffs? My G7/2700x should be here Wednesday.

Last edited by kd5151; 05-07-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
Ramad is an unknown quantity at this point Ramad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by Shik0 View Post
The lowest ODT I can go is 43.3Ohm, but unfortunately those settings didn't work for me, the game crashed few minutes in on both combinations.
Your system will not be able to boot if one of the combinations above didn't work for you. It could be many things when it comes to games, could be bad game install or bad drivers (nVIDIA have many of those). Try running prime95 to find out if the system is stable or not, only then you will be able to find out what the problem is.

My advice is to run the CPU fixed at lower frequency such as 3.6-3.8GHz, Vcore at 1.3V, SOC at 1.1V and RAM at 3200MT/s with 1.4V since you have a Samsung B-die based RAM. Those are safe voltages and your system should pass fine if the settings are right because nothing is pushed to the edge at these frequencies.

I had prime95 failing for me last weak on my K7 within 5 min. with every attempt because I forgot to seat the CPU properly, Foxconn sockets are not as good as Lotes' sockets, so some extra caution is needed here.

What I'm trying to say is, there could be many things beside voltages such as wrong settings all the way to re-seating the RAM sticks or the CPU.
post #23 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Linux Lobbyist
Shik0

Quote: Originally Posted by Ramad View Post
Your system will not be able to boot if one of the combinations above didn't work for you. It could be many things when it comes to games, could be bad game install or bad drivers (nVIDIA have many of those). Try running prime95 to find out if the system is stable or not, only then you will be able to find out what the problem is.

My advice is to run the CPU fixed at lower frequency such as 3.6-3.8GHz, Vcore at 1.3V, SOC at 1.1V and RAM at 3200MT/s with 1.4V since you have a Samsung B-die based RAM. Those are safe voltages and your system should pass fine if the settings are right because nothing is pushed to the edge at these frequencies.

I had prime95 failing for me last weak on my K7 within 5 min. with every attempt because I forgot to seat the CPU properly, Foxconn sockets are not as good as Lotes' sockets, so some extra caution is needed here.

What I'm trying to say is, there could be many things beside voltages such as wrong settings all the way to re-seating the RAM sticks or the CPU.
I tried OC-ing the memory with stock cpu settings, tried reseating the RAM in different slots, 1 stick, 2 sticks, different set of RAM from another PC in my house (hynix m-die 3000c16 which also shut down the PC if OC-d), tried a different PSU (Seasonic s12 520W bronze) and tried reseating the cpu and cooler. If I leave cpu OC-ed and RAM on stock 2133mhz the system runs fine, but as soon as I start messing with memory it starts randomly shutting down during gaming and streaming. I've seen a few people have similar problems, but as far as I know there is no solution yet.

Ryzen 2700X [email protected] | Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 WIFI | BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | Inno3D GTX1080TI X3 | G.Skill TridentZ 3600C16 16GB | Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Platinum | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Kingston V300 60GB | Seasonic SSHD 2TB | Fractal Design Meshify C DTG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
⤷ αC
AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by kd5151 View Post
Are there any tricks to installing a motherboard with a pre installed backplate. What about the standoffs? My G7/2700x should be here Wednesday.
As long as your motherboard tray uses the standard 6-32 hexagonal brass standoffs of ~6.4mm / 0.25" height (any case from Fractal Design or Phanteks for example should) you ought to be fine. Essentially all it does is save one step (the IO plate install). Some people have concerns about the backplate and I relayed those concerns to GBT-Matt for him to suggest to the R&D team that the backplate and I/O shield may have compatibility issues.

Any Corsair 750D or Be Quiet Silent Base 600 case with the built-in standoffs that are sort of lumpy and protruding instead of an actual hexagonal standoff will be problematic though.
(If you have enough clearance for your CPU cooler and you have a case with the built-in standoffs, you can usually screw a normal standoff into it to make it properly clear the backplate but then the IO shield will likely not fit properly.)

If you do need to remove the backplate, I've done a full teardown down to the bare PCB to get a look at the PWM controller so here's what you need to do
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon backplate picture.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	179001
Side view of the screw you definitely keep in place ,highlighted in yellow:
Click image for larger version

Name:	VRM screw.PNG
Views:	125
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	179017

Backplate & IO shield removed
Spoiler!

When facing the back of the board, the top left screw is actually for the VRM heatsink as well, so while you can remove the screw that screws into it for the backplate , leave that silvery-grey one in there. Most of the other screws are only also to hold the plastic RGB IO cover in place to the IO shield.

-----------

Shik0 , you might want to test your RAM for stability once you change the setting. For Hynix M-Die you ought to be able to hit 2933MHz with even timings (such as 16-18-18-38 or 16-16-16-36) at least. For Samsung B-die , there's no reason it shouldn't run 3200C14 or 3466C16. Geardown mode might have an issue with odd timings though and I've seen it reported that GearDownMode resets itself in Gigabyte BIOS.

Besides timings & ProcODT (default is 53.3 ohms), you might need VSOC manual voltage at 1.05-1.1V and also DRAM voltage ~ 1.35-1.39V.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #25 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Not new to overclock.net
kd5151 is an unknown quantity at this point kd5151 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks AlphaC. My fractal case should be good to go! Never had a mobo with a pre-installed I/O shield or back plate before. Always a first for everything.
post #26 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
rancor is an unknown quantity at this point rancor is an unknown quantity at this point

I purchased this motherboard on ryzen 2nd gen lunch day and had problems with the WiFi. I could install the driver and see networks but couldn't conect reliably. I ended up tearing down the motherboard to get to the WiFi chip and reconnecting the internal antenna connections. This fixed the problem so it was probably a bad or loose connection. I would guess this is rare but if your getting WiFi connection problems it's another thing to check.

i7-4770K Overclock
Blue
(18 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770K (4.4GHz 1.35V)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H-CF
GPU
XFX Radeon RX VEGA 64
RAM
16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz 10-12-12-31
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 840 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1050W
Cooling
EK Supreme HF + mpc355 + 2 x Xspc RX360 + EK-FC Radeon Vega
Case
Corsair 700D with Side Window
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Nixeus EDG 27
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q
Keyboard
Xarmor U9BL-S
Mouse
Steelseries QcK+
Mouse
Roccat Pure Owl-Eye
Audio
Swan M50W
Audio
Odac+O2 & Sennheiser GSX 1000
Audio
Sennheiser 6XX
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI
GPU
Sapphire R9-290 Vapour-X
RAM
G.Skill Flare X
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark
Monitor
Pixio PX277
Audio
Swan M10
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by rancor; 05-08-2018 at 07:40 AM.
post #27 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Hardware Rep
GBT-MatthewH Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by rancor View Post
I purchased this motherboard on ryzen 2nd gen lunch day and had problems with the WiFi. I could install driver and see networks but couldn't conect reliably. I ended up tearing down the motherboard to get to the WiFi chip and reconnecting the internal antenna connections. This fixed the problem so it was probably a bad or loose connection. I would guess this is rare but if your getting WiFi connection problems it's another thing to check.
Make sure you use the driver from our webpage as well. The one baked into windows can cause issues.
post #28 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:45 PM
New to Overclock.net
Copyright Level 1

Just got this board.. found that Asus and Gigabyte both have Precision Boost Overdrive as an option. For whatever reason I am missing the NBIO setting in my BIOS to be able to enable it... anyone else notice this? You can clearly see the option in the precision Boost Overdrive video on you tube.

Also,..I Saw no way to disable onboard wifi in the bios? Right now it's not working as well as my USB netgear 1200AC.. its not near as good actually.

Last edited by Copyright; 05-07-2018 at 05:42 PM.
post #29 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:08 PM
New to Overclock.net
Copyright Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Don't use XMP on Gigabyte boards, it's problematic. You likely want to turn off Fast Boot, set the 4 main timings + 1.35-1.4V memory voltage + 1.05V-1.1V SOC voltage. Try ProcODT 60 ohms too. Then let it perform memory training.
I need some clarification on how memory training works. I am using fastboot with XMP profiles. I have zero stability issues unless I try to OC which I also had XMP on.. and is probalby why I had problems now that you explained it. How does Memory training work? Do you ever turn fast boot back on at anypoint?

I have TeamGroup 3200mhz Samsung B Die 4x8gb... What settings should I apply to get the most out of this setup? I also like my clocks to throttle down while not under load so I chose to let PB2 do it's job and for hte life of me I cannot find PBO to enable even tho I saw a video that showed where it was.. mine is not there! Seems that overclocking the ram does a great job of improving performance. So I wanted to try and use PBO with overclocked RAM and let the system throttle it's speed as needed. Is this possible?

post #30 of 660 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
⤷ αC
AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about

You need Fast Boot disabled for memory training to work properly , as far as I know.

Also because XMP profiles are an Intel convention most of those sub-timings will be suboptimal or outright don't work on AMD platforms.

My advice to you is to boot without XMP and then interrogate the memory itself with Thaiphoon Burner and AIDA64 to get all the information about the XMP profile's subtimings. Use the Stilt's "safe" memory timings for your sticks' memory ICs keeping in mind 4 sticks isn't going to be as likely to work with as high frequency or as tight timings. Most users have best luck with 2 sticks.

Memory training basically allows the motherboard to configure all the sub-timings as well as delays and retry it up to around 5 times. It may power cycle to try different settings.

On 1st gen Ryzen how I did it was ,
1. Boot with the 2133 MHz memory clock
2. Interrogate the memory to find what timings it is capable of according to XMP
3. Put in the DRAM voltage , fixed SOC voltage and 4 main timings & disable Fast Boot
4. Check the Stilt's safe timings for the ICs and try those as a baseline
After that process the Ryzen memory calculator came out which greatly simplified this but still isn't foolproof. There's a 4 DIMM option in the utility. (https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-am...-dram-am4.html)

As far as PBO, it is under the Peripherals tab under AMD CBS > NBIO Common options > Precision Boost Overdrive. I noted this in the FAQs (post #1) because I find that it was an odd place to put that setting. It is mainly AMD's fault but Gigabyte has to share some of the blame because they didn't relocate it for whatever reason. (On Asrock boards AMD CBS is under "Advanced" and in ASUS BIOS it is also listed under "Advanced" tab)

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 05-07-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in