MSI MEG Creation or Gigabyte Aorus Extreme For TR2 - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI MEG Creation or Gigabyte Aorus Extreme For TR2

post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 304 (Unique: 243)
As a footnote, excited to see the buildlog E!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by toolmaker03 View Post
yes I would agree, I have been watching and reading a few reviews. I am not in the market for a new system yet, so I have a general knowledge of what is available, but have not really looked at any of the new CPU's out there. at this point there is not a lot of good information. it seems that the CPU stock is capable of boot clocks of only 3.5Ghz, the CPU should be capable of 4.2Ghz stock. so something is going on, and I would guess that it is the motherboards, or the power supplies causing the issue. AMD says the motherboards will handle the CPU so if this is true than the power to the CPU has to be what is causing the throttling to occur at 3.5Ghz on the average.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,31.html

at a forced over clock, the highest they could go was 4.1Ghz, and that had the CPU socket pulling 750watts. still not the 4.2Ghz that CPU should be doing stock regardless.

Yeah it is going to pull some serious wattage on an OC, no doubt..rest assured I will be checking as I go just so I do not blow anything up haha or melt anything.

Quote: Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
As a footnote, excited to see the buildlog E!

Well It will not be a complete buildlog, but I will document it to show people.

post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
MSI sent me a beta bios for X399 MEG that has fixed my 1900X not down volting and down clocking with a balanced power plan so now TR Gen 1 is working properly and XFR is working as it should.

However if your interested in letting your system sleep at all then that is completely broken on this board for me. Trying to wake the system results in a hard lock with debug code 00 and both power button and reset button on the case and on the motherboard itself being rendered completely non functional...…..the system has to be hard shut down by turning off power at the wall socket. This procedure creates havoc with system stability and usually a reset bios default is needed to get system stability back.

Current bioses need WORK.....big time. Asrock X399 bios was a DREAM in comparison.

Will be interesting to see how the 2950X goes when I drop it in.

@ENTERPRISE when you get your rig up and running if you could do a put the comp to sleep and leave for 1/2 hour and wake to see is it works would be appreciated. Good luck with it all.

1/X399 MSI MEG - 2950X + Vega 64 Custom WC - G.Skill 4 x 16GB DR b-die @ 2933MHz - 3 x 1TB Intel NVme M.2 + 1TB & 500MB SSD - Silverstone 1500W - yay
2/Z390 MAXIMUS XI GENE - 9900K/Corsair H115i Pro + 1080Ti - G.Skill TridentZ F4-3600C17D-32GTRZ - 2 x 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe - Seasonic 1300W Platinum - yo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by lowdog View Post
MSI sent me a beta bios for X399 MEG that has fixed my 1900X not down volting and down clocking with a balanced power plan so now TR Gen 1 is working properly and XFR is working as it should.

However if your interested in letting your system sleep at all then that is completely broken on this board for me. Trying to wake the system results in a hard lock with debug code 00 and both power button and reset button on the case and on the motherboard itself being rendered completely non functional...…..the system has to be hard shut down by turning off power at the wall socket. This procedure creates havoc with system stability and usually a reset bios default is needed to get system stability back.

Current bioses need WORK.....big time. Asrock X399 bios was a DREAM in comparison.

Will be interesting to see how the 2950X goes when I drop it in.

@ENTERPRISE when you get your rig up and running if you could do a put the comp to sleep and leave for 1/2 hour and wake to see is it works would be appreciated. Good luck with it all.
Yeah I will give it a test and see what we get.

post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 04:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Yeah I will give it a test and see what we get.

Cheers and thanks.

I am currently in communication with MSI tech to try and resolve a few problems with is board and it's bios (sleep issues and a seeming PCI bus problem) anyway will see how it goes and hopefully MSI will get it sorted with a new bios.

1/X399 MSI MEG - 2950X + Vega 64 Custom WC - G.Skill 4 x 16GB DR b-die @ 2933MHz - 3 x 1TB Intel NVme M.2 + 1TB & 500MB SSD - Silverstone 1500W - yay
2/Z390 MAXIMUS XI GENE - 9900K/Corsair H115i Pro + 1080Ti - G.Skill TridentZ F4-3600C17D-32GTRZ - 2 x 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe - Seasonic 1300W Platinum - yo
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 05:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

MSi have replicated the issues I communicated to them. This is with a TR Gen 1 so at this point I can't confirm whether it's the same with a Gen 2 TR but lets assume it is. And AnandTech did a review of this board with a Gen 1 1950X and didn't pick up on these issue, I mean how thorough a test did they put the system through.

1/ System can't wake from S3 sleep....debug code cycles through a few codes the stops at 00 and the system is frozen, no power button or reset button on either the case or motherboard will reboot or shut down the system...…..only solution is to turn off power at the wall socket.

I mean really! Such a basic function like putting the system to sleep and waking and it doesn't even work.

2/ SOC voltage changes in the bios don't take/apply under certain scenarios.

Hope they can come up with a fix sooner rather than later.

Last edited by lowdog; 08-24-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Hopefully they come up with fixes too. I wonder if it is down to development specifically for Gen 2 which has broken it for Gen 1. Will have to test once more system is up .

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Terrible Overclocker

Rep: 0
Just ordered the "creation". Zenith is starting to fail tests at 3200 now :/ I am NOT even running mem V above 1.4 and CPU is always auto with SOC at 1.025-1.05, never over 1.1 which is what auto would run it. I am over this.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by spadizzle View Post
Just ordered the "creation". Zenith is starting to fail tests at 3200 now :/ I am NOT even running mem V above 1.4 and CPU is always auto with SOC at 1.025-1.05, never over 1.1 which is what auto would run it. I am over this.
Good Move, The Zenith seemed like such a great board but Asus lack of caring killed it.

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by lowdog View Post
Hope they can come up with a fix sooner rather than later.
Any updates? Im deciding between Creation and GBAE for 2950x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in