MSI MEG Creation or Gigabyte Aorus Extreme For TR2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI MEG Creation or Gigabyte Aorus Extreme For TR2

post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

MSI MEG Creation or Gigabyte Aorus Extreme For TR2

Hello all,

I have an upcoming build regarding TR2. I will be going with the 2990WX. I have watched and read some fantastic reviews regarding the MSI MEG Creation for TR2, it looks like an incredible board. However I wanted to know what we (you guys) thought about the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme for TR2. The MSI Meg Creation has 19 Phases, this is actually 8 on doubler so far as the review has indicated. The Gigabyte Aorus extreme states 10+3 phases, but other than that I do not know much about the phase configuration for that board as I am struggling to find information on it. I am also a little bit of a noob so far as phase go.

Both these boards are like for like in mainly everything, but I want to make sure I have the best and most stable power delivery for the CPU as it is a beast especially when sitting at an all core OC.

MSI Meg Creation: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-X399-CREATION

Gigabyte Auros Extreme: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...REME-rev-10#kf

In all honesty I am only bothered by the power delivery of these boards, looks and other features are secondary.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

E

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Totally Tubular

Rep: 50 (Unique: 41)
If I were buying Threadripper WX, the MEG is the only currently-available board I would consider. I definitely wouldn't trust the VRM on the other boards for all-core overclocks under heavy load.

Previous Project: Heatripper Threadkiller Build Log
Previous Project: TT-Green Build Log (external link)
Previous Project: RED Glare Build Log (external link)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R7 2700X (1826SUS)
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
GPU
NVIDIA TITAN Xp COLLECTORS EDITION (Jedi Order)
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVMe
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i 1000W ATX
Cooling
EKWB EK-Supremacy EVO AMD RGB Nickel-Plexi
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV for TITAN X and GTX 1080Ti - ACRYL Ni-Bl w/ eBC Backplate
Cooling
Watercool WCP D5-VARIO Pump with Heatkiller D5-TOP
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller Tube 150 w/ MultiPort Top
Cooling
Watercool MO-RA3 360 LT Radiator - White
Cooling
Barrow G1/4" Thread 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Black
Cooling
Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling w/ 10mm x 16mm Compression Fitting - Black
Cooling
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10/16mm Tubing - Crystal Clear
Cooling
Mayhems Pastel Coolant - Yellow
Cooling
Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed Fans (9)
Case
PrimoChill Praxis WetBench - White/Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB270HU bprz 1440p 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mouse
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mousepad
Logitech G440 Hard Gaming Mouse Mat
Audio
Logitech G633 7.1 RGB USB Headset
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 12 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Hello all,

I have an upcoming build regarding TR2. I will be going with the 2990WX. I have watched and read some fantastic reviews regarding the MSI MEG Creation for TR2, it looks like an incredible board. However I wanted to know what we (you guys) thought about the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme for TR2. The MSI Meg Creation has 19 Phases, this is actually 8 on doubler so far as the review has indicated. The Gigabyte Aorus extreme states 10+3 phases, but other than that I do not know much about the phase configuration for that board as I am struggling to find information on it. I am also a little bit of a noob so far as phase go.

Both these boards are like for like in mainly everything, but I want to make sure I have the best and most stable power delivery for the CPU as it is a beast especially when sitting at an all core OC.

In all honesty I am only bothered by the power delivery of these boards, looks and other features are secondary.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

E

The board qualitatively sems good, the aesthetis is horrible, but on theflipide at least the VRM heatinks are good and big....that being said MSI has never release a BIOS with offset voltage, which if that is the case all these VRMS are almost a total waste, as there would be no way to benefit from them nor get good efficiency....so u would likely end up runnign ur CPU with high voltages, inefficiently at the cot of massive heat....and a CPU like this even at stock, is not a CPU u wanna have in any environment that doesnt have at least 12k BTU of air conditioning for a small room...YOu will definitely wanna have at least a dedicated 480 MM radiator ONLY for the CPu...and YOu will definitley wanna make sure it is decoupled in some other room than where u working with it.

ALSO you lose one PCI slot...which makes it now obvious that for THeradripper 2 Dual socket size motherboards to host this CPU are a mst at this point, as it make sno sense to have this wonder CPU if u cant slot in at least 7 GPUS or even 8 as PCIe gen 4/5 is behind the corner.

So I would stay put for now UNLESS im sure there is voltage offset.

But I strongly suspect that threadripper 32 core will not sell much at all becuase in all honesty there is not one single motherboard made for it...THIS MSI motherboard is well l build but even if had voltage offset would be really way underfeatured.

You are way better off into buying a dual socket EPYC system if CPU is what matters for You, OR a single socket HPC single socket system that can host 8 gpus which is at this moment the only viable solution for those who are into 3d content worth buying.

Asus will not make any motherboards for threadripper 2 they have been copy pasting the same mother board for intel and AMD for ages now...and in all honesty the Zenith ROG is a total piece of crap as it is designed for fashion victims and not content creators or professionals, and in no way can manage the AMD W series....believe Me you DO NOT wanna hear those ****ty lats minute micro fans they pushing to kids..and spending this kind of money to score 5 k in cinebench u better off with two cheap epyc and score higher in total silence.....You can ind real life performance results in Chaos Group Vray bench marks pages.

If Your scope is gaming and streaming, dont waste Your money and stick with a Ryzen 7

https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/cpu

You should NOT buy into threadripper W series if You dont need at least 60 Teraflops of compute power and above, and You should be willing to spend at least 1500 dollars for a really robust coooling solution....forget about 360 gamers radiators think chillers or massive 60 mm 540 x180 only for the CPU, if u wanna use your machine in a liveable room and spend 20 dollars a month in air conditioning when ambient temperature is anything above 19 C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 PM
Bends are for the weak

Rep: 0
The MEG is 16 phases, period. Yes, a doubler is used to achieve that but we are looking at ~700A that can be pushed thru the VRMs. That‘s LN2 levels of stupid high and means in reverse conclusion that the MEG can be abused for moderate OC without having to worry too much about VRM cooling, even on the 2990wx.

RTX Ripper
(18 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 2950x
Motherboard
MSI MEG Creation x399
GPU
2080 Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 PRO 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial mx500 500GB
Power Supply
BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1200w
Cooling
Custom Dual Loop (Heatkiller blocks, 480 / 560 Rad)
Cooling
Noctua NF-F12 Chromax x4
Cooling
Noctua NF-A14 Chromax x4
Case
Caselabs SMA8-A Gunmetal
Operating System
Windows 10 PRO
Monitor
Asus PG278QR x3
Keyboard
Ducky One TKL RGB
Mouse
Razer Naga Trinity
Other
Trading PC Triple Display Stand
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Fitzcaraldo; 08-22-2018 at 05:20 AM.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 741 (Unique: 345)
Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post

The MEG is 16x 70A VCORE.
The GAE is 10x 50A VCORE.
The ZE you currently have is 8x 60A VCORE.

As a ZE owner if I was getting TR I wouldn't even consider the GAE. The other aspect of the ZE is the IR3555M have internal temperature sensor. So VRM temperature reported on this board is not a diode close to VRM components, but actual internal temperature of components AFAIK.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by Aby67 View Post
The board qualitatively sems good, the aesthetis is horrible, but on theflipide at least the VRM heatinks are good and big....that being said MSI has never release a BIOS with offset voltage, which if that is the case all these VRMS are almost a total waste, as there would be no way to benefit from them nor get good efficiency....so u would likely end up runnign ur CPU with high voltages, inefficiently at the cot of massive heat....and a CPU like this even at stock, is not a CPU u wanna have in any environment that doesnt have at least 12k BTU of air conditioning for a small room...YOu will definitely wanna have at least a dedicated 480 MM radiator ONLY for the CPu...and YOu will definitley wanna make sure it is decoupled in some other room than where u working with it.

ALSO you lose one PCI slot...which makes it now obvious that for THeradripper 2 Dual socket size motherboards to host this CPU are a mst at this point, as it make sno sense to have this wonder CPU if u cant slot in at least 7 GPUS or even 8 as PCIe gen 4/5 is behind the corner.

So I would stay put for now UNLESS im sure there is voltage offset.

But I strongly suspect that threadripper 32 core will not sell much at all becuase in all honesty there is not one single motherboard made for it...THIS MSI motherboard is well l build but even if had voltage offset would be really way underfeatured.

You are way better off into buying a dual socket EPYC system if CPU is what matters for You, OR a single socket HPC single socket system that can host 8 gpus which is at this moment the only viable solution for those who are into 3d content worth buying.

Asus will not make any motherboards for threadripper 2 they have been copy pasting the same mother board for intel and AMD for ages now...and in all honesty the Zenith ROG is a total piece of crap as it is designed for fashion victims and not content creators or professionals, and in no way can manage the AMD W series....believe Me you DO NOT wanna hear those ****ty lats minute micro fans they pushing to kids..and spending this kind of money to score 5 k in cinebench u better off with two cheap epyc and score higher in total silence.....You can ind real life performance results in Chaos Group Vray bench marks pages.

If Your scope is gaming and streaming, dont waste Your money and stick with a Ryzen 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1UUdXwytZI

https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/cpu

You should NOT buy into threadripper W series if You dont need at least 60 Teraflops of compute power and above, and You should be willing to spend at least 1500 dollars for a really robust coooling solution....forget about 360 gamers radiators think chillers or massive 60 mm 540 x180 only for the CPU, if u wanna use your machine in a liveable room and spend 20 dollars a month in air conditioning when ambient temperature is anything above 19 C
Thanks for the insights, I think the comment regarding air conditioning is a little extreme though. As for the multiple GPU's, I will not be rocking any more than 2 GPU's on this platform so there is no need for me to move into the Epyc realm. I will be doing multi threaded tasks that rely on the CPU more than any GPU power.

Quote: Originally Posted by Fitzcaraldo View Post
The MEG is 16 phases, period. Yes, a doubler is used to achieve that but we are looking at ~700A that can be pushed thru the VRMs. That‘s LN2 levels of stupid high and means in reverse conclusion that the MEG can be abused for moderate OC without having to worry too much about VRM cooling, even on the 2990wx.
Thanks for the information, I think the MEG has more than enough power.

Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
The MEG is 16x 70A VCORE.
The GAE is 10x 50A VCORE.
The ZE you currently have is 8x 60A VCORE.

As a ZE owner if I was getting TR I wouldn't even consider the GAE. The other aspect of the ZE is the IR3555M have internal temperature sensor. So VRM temperature reported on this board is not a diode close to VRM components, but actual internal temperature of components AFAIK.
Nice insight, I actually looked at a TR2 review using the Zenith, lets just say the Zenith does not cope well, even with that ridiculous cooling kit which does virtually nothing (Not sure what Asus are thinking). Fine for TR1 but for the 2nd gen 250Watt TDP Cpu's. Not even worth the risk.

I think considering all the above a long with my own research and gut, I will go with the MSI MEG, Cannot go too wrong with it going by the reviews and whats on paper.

Thanks everyone !

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 61)
My advice is to be cautious and not to buy a motherboard before finding out how it behaves using the new TR2 series. 16 phases on the MSI motherboard could very well be a waste which is payed for by the user that will never get any benefit of, if the CPU doesn't need that much power. Anandtech have a review of the MSI motherboard and they do point out that the boot time of the MSI is very long compared to other motherboards, so there are issues, could be fixed with later BIOS or may not be fixable.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
1/ MEG without a doubt for a 2990X if you plan to oc that cpu at all.

And as for Asus with the ZE and their rinky dink little strap on fan, pffffft!!! what an insult and joke! Than company just plummeted as far as reputation goes in my eyes.

1/X399 MSI MEG - 2950X + Vega 64 Custom WC - G.Skill 4 x 16GB DR b-die @ 2933MHz - 3 x 1TB Intel NVme M.2 + 1TB & 500MB SSD - Silverstone 1500W - yay
2/Z390 MAXIMUS XI GENE - 9900K/Corsair H115i Pro + 1080Ti - G.Skill TridentZ F4-3600C17D-32GTRZ - 2 x 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe - Seasonic 1300W Platinum - yo
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 47)
The power stage in the MSI board is a few percentage points more efficient so even if it was matching Gigabyte's 10x, it'd still be ~10C lower at equal overclocks.

Tweaktown has a video of the 560A ( 8 x 70A ) beating 720A ( 12 x 60A ) by 10C from their youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/tweaktown/videos

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...hread-103.html
There is a guy on here that didn't use a chiller for a 5ghz 7980XE with 4000mhz/C16 ram. He had 3x2 dual ddcs ( 10W versions instead of the 18W (3.2) or the 20W ( 3.25 )) + 1 D5 + 5x480x60 ( older EK stuff ) + a Mora 3 420 + 2x2100mhz 1080 Tis ).
Are you going to try getting 4.2/4.3 on water?

Last edited by czin125; 08-16-2018 at 08:22 AM.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 871 (Unique: 575)
I'll keep you posted if I find anything out.

However, the MSI board has 16 phases for VCore it looks like. M.2 slots have been relocated to a daughter-board.

The Gigabyte board is using a thermally enhanced (exposed junction) powerstage, but 10 of them along with a more massive finned heatsink , two 30mm fans under IO shroud, as well as a backplate. Ultimately as it is E-ATX I think they ran out of board real estate.

The Gigabyte page lists IR3578 with 50A:
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/prod...-stage/ir3578/

The MSI board is stronger by far.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in