Asus Strix/Crosshair VII PE Level 3 and 4 multiplier adjustments through Ryzen Master - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus Strix/Crosshair VII PE Level 3 and 4 multiplier adjustments through Ryzen Master

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 774 (Unique: 354)
Sorry for delayed response .

Use ASUS Turbo V and you'll see the default offset, IIRC it's 272. I have dabbled with it occasionally, so my memory is hazing on which way tweak results on what kinda skew. If you try a small change (ie 268 vs 278), you should be able to see affect.

Be aware using this skewing also means over temperature protection on CPU may not at correct temp, due to the skewing. So if cooling fails you could be looking at CPU going to excessive real temp, resulting in damage, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
Sorry for delayed response .

Use ASUS Turbo V and you'll see the default offset, IIRC it's 272. I have dabbled with it occasionally, so my memory is hazing on which way tweak results on what kinda skew. If you try a small change (ie 268 vs 278), you should be able to see affect.

Be aware using this skewing also means over temperature protection on CPU may not at correct temp, due to the skewing. So if cooling fails you could be looking at CPU going to excessive real temp, resulting in damage, etc.
No, worries. I didn't immediately recognize Tctl when I first read your response, but it clicked in my head after a peak at HWiNFO.

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Awesome info, I'll be trying this out, start low and work my way up...
Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by respoda View Post
Awesome info, I'll be trying this out, start low and work my way up...
Thanks for sharing.
Did you have a chance to try this out with your Strix board? I'm curious to know if it's the same.

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I am on asus prime x470 pro , if i set pbo enabled and scalar x10 it will give me 168a limit as i lowering the scalar the edc limit is reduced. But as far as i can see the temprature and the sillicon are the things that gives the real limits of multi core boost.

It seems for me that my cpu (i think depends on silicon) can keep 4125mhz all core at heavy loads until the temprature reach 50c. Above 50c the cpu starts to drop multi. As the cpu getting hotter the multiplier is getting down.
s
So i can't understand how changing edc from ryzen master could be useful for something. is something that i miss ? why to use pe and dont use pbo scalar ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edc.png
Views:	71
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	235572  

Black&White
(12 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 2600Χ
Motherboard
Asus Rog Crosshair VII HERO
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ F4 4000C18D 16GTZKW
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair CX650M
Cooling
EK Supremacy MX - EK FC970 GTX WF3 - Phobya G-Changer 360 V.2 360mm Radiator - Mayhems Pastel UV White
Case
Corsair Carbide 270R
Monitor
Dell P2717H
Keyboard
Dell KM714
Mouse
Dell KM714
Audio
M-AUDIO BX 5a
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by kazablanka; 12-02-2018 at 01:57 AM.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 03:02 AM
DRAM Obsessor

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by kazablanka View Post
I am on asus prime x470 pro , if i set pbo enabled and scalar x10 it will give me 168a limit as i lowering the scalar the edc limit is reduced. But as far as i can see the temprature and the sillicon are the things that gives the real limits of multi core boost.

It seems for me that my cpu (i think depends on silicon) can keep 4125mhz all core at heavy loads until the temprature reach 50c. Above 50c the cpu starts to drop multi. As the cpu getting hotter the multiplier is getting down.
s
So i can't understand how changing edc from ryzen master could be useful for something. is something that i miss ? why to use pe and dont use pbo scalar ?

Well, for a couple of reasons...In the new bios update there is no longer a scalar, or at least on the C7H there isnt and also PE locks the all core multiplier and it doesnt actively downclock during load and PE also goes beyond limits if there is sufficient thermal headroom to do so, although I dont see many having much thermal headroom above 4.4ghz. He changes EDC to trick the multiplier values that are locked at POST. There is some algorithm or something that looks at the thermals and determines the all core multiplier and the single, 2, 4, and 6 core multiplier and once in the OS the only way to go from a 41.5x all core multiplier to 43.5x would be to do what he is suggesting since the multiplier will not go above that value once in the OS otherwise. The differences Ive seen in PE3 and PE4 besides how aggressive the voltages are is that with PE3 Single Core multiplier seems to be favored over the all core multiplier. At PE3 I can run my bclk to 106.6mhz resulting in 4640mhz Single core and roughly 4.425ghz all core but on PE4 at 104.8mhz the all core is much more aggressive with its multiplier as I will hit 4558mhz all core as well as the single core. It does take a lot more voltage and to get teh 43.5x multiplier you have to be running around 10c idle temps on the cpu. Its much easier to get the 43.5x multiplier on PE3. I just use PE3 for single core performance when I need it and PE4 for multicore performance. PBO does not have the same characteristics and has limitations during load and just cant reach the performance that PE3 and 4 can but PE is harder to maintain stability so each has their pros and cons.

CPU- AMD Ryzen [email protected] *
MOTHERBOARD- ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU- EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 w/ XOC [email protected] (Morpheus Cooler)
RAM- G.SKILL TridentZ 32gb (4 x 8gb) @ 3800mhz (14-15-15-24-38-1T)
COOLING- CORSAIR Hydro Series H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 (x7)
CASE- Silverstone RL06 Pro (Modified)
MONITORS- VIOTEK GN34DB (x2)

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 03:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by CJMitsuki View Post
Well, for a couple of reasons...In the new bios update there is no longer a scalar, or at least on the C7H there isnt and also PE locks the all core multiplier and it doesnt actively downclock during load and PE also goes beyond limits if there is sufficient thermal headroom to do so, although I dont see many having much thermal headroom above 4.4ghz. He changes EDC to trick the multiplier values that are locked at POST. There is some algorithm or something that looks at the thermals and determines the all core multiplier and the single, 2, 4, and 6 core multiplier and once in the OS the only way to go from a 41.5x all core multiplier to 43.5x would be to do what he is suggesting since the multiplier will not go above that value once in the OS otherwise. The differences Ive seen in PE3 and PE4 besides how aggressive the voltages are is that with PE3 Single Core multiplier seems to be favored over the all core multiplier. At PE3 I can run my bclk to 106.6mhz resulting in 4640mhz Single core and roughly 4.425ghz all core but on PE4 at 104.8mhz the all core is much more aggressive with its multiplier as I will hit 4558mhz all core as well as the single core. It does take a lot more voltage and to get teh 43.5x multiplier you have to be running around 10c idle temps on the cpu. Its much easier to get the 43.5x multiplier on PE3. I just use PE3 for single core performance when I need it and PE4 for multicore performance. PBO does not have the same characteristics and has limitations during load and just cant reach the performance that PE3 and 4 can but PE is harder to maintain stability so each has their pros and cons.
Thanks you made it clearer to me,

Black&White
(12 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 2600Χ
Motherboard
Asus Rog Crosshair VII HERO
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ F4 4000C18D 16GTZKW
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair CX650M
Cooling
EK Supremacy MX - EK FC970 GTX WF3 - Phobya G-Changer 360 V.2 360mm Radiator - Mayhems Pastel UV White
Case
Corsair Carbide 270R
Monitor
Dell P2717H
Keyboard
Dell KM714
Mouse
Dell KM714
Audio
M-AUDIO BX 5a
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by kazablanka View Post
Thanks you made it clearer to me,
I actually upgraded from the X470 Prime Pro to the Crosshair VII to get the extra Performance Enhancer Level 3 and 4. Those are the levels that "lock" the multiplier. All the ROG boards have the extra levels, but The Stilt said the B450 boards don't have the VRM to run it.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by CJMitsuki View Post
This is very interesting to read. Are you able to share with us the thermal condition/cooling setup of this system? Also did you say you're using +0.025vcore offset on both pbo3 and 4?

I have a custom loop with overkill capacity, and now I have a better idea how I should approach my PBO tuning, but I seem to have been getting diminishing returns on my benchmarks despite using these overpowered configs such as pbo3/4.

I have heard using - offset is better for PBO3/4 by allowing greater headroom for boost, but my config does not seem to reflect that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bill Murray
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 2700x
Motherboard
ROG Crosshair 7 Wifi
GPU
ROG Poseidon 1080TI
GPU
ROG Poseidon 1080TI
RAM
F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Hard Drive
Seagate BAArracude
Power Supply
EVGA 1300 G3
Cooling
Custom Cooling Loop
Case
Corsair Obsidian 900D
Keyboard
Corsair K95 Platinum
Mouse
Corsair Glaive
Other
Corsair RGB Headset Stand
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by specialedge View Post
This is very interesting to read. Are you able to share with us the thermal condition/cooling setup of this system? Also did you say you're using +0.025vcore offset on both pbo3 and 4?

I have a custom loop with overkill capacity, and now I have a better idea how I should approach my PBO tuning, but I seem to have been getting diminishing returns on my benchmarks despite using these overpowered configs such as pbo3/4.

I have heard using - offset is better for PBO3/4 by allowing greater headroom for boost, but my config does not seem to reflect that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If you have strong cooling then you'll want to add a BCLK increase to get more out of your CPU. Manipulating PE 3/4 will only get you so much until you adjust BCLK also. I've used PE 3 with a BCLK of 104 to reach 4.4GHz on all cores. It required very low ambient temps though -- cold weather with the window open.

If you want something more everyday then using PE 3 with BCLK 102 will allow you to get to 4.3GHz all core.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in