Random shutdowns when GPU benchmarking - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Random shutdowns when GPU benchmarking

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Random shutdowns when GPU benchmarking

Hi
Have an Asus X399 Extreme mobo with EVGA 1200W Platinum PSU and TitanV GPU with AMD Threadripper CPU

This setup has been rock solid

I recently invested in a 2nd GPU, the RTX 2080 and have been pulling my hair trying to get both GPUs running

1st issue
-Code OE error on boot , something related to microcode?
I sort of resolved this by simply switching the PCIE slots for the 2 cards.

2nd issue
- Bad TLP and Bad DLLP errors after passing the grub screen in Ubuntu

I assume this might be driver related as its a dual boot setup and I can finally boot into windows after installing the latest Nvidia driver.

Now when running some gpu benchmarking tests I am experiencing random shutdowns, with power loss to the mobo.(leds go out)

After a wait of a minute or so after flipping the PSU off and on I can boot up without issue.

What are some possible causes of this?
I have never experienced this particular issue before.
Is overheating a possible cause? The new RTX cards throw off a LOT of heat.
Any replies welcome, beginning to regret my investment in this new RTX card!

Last edited by jbach; 09-22-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 22)
For linux, you could try using nomodeset, but it's likely a compatability issue(it is a new card after all).

For your other issue, it does seem like the PSU turns off because of excessive power draw. Basically to the PSU it almost looks like a short, so it turns on short circuit protection to prevent the PSU from frying. As for the reason you need to wait a minute, probably a capacitor discharging maybe?

I know you have a good PSU, but that CPU+2 GPUS+ peripherals and any OC could potentially make it up to what, 1000w?

Although here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...per-1950x.html the user has the same CPU but 3x1080Ti and there they recommend 1.2-1.5kW PSU, so theoretically you should be safe, HOWEVER, how old is your PSU? The capacitors could have aged resulting in less than stellar performance. Or it could just be a bad batch that cannot handle the wattage it's rated at OR the PSU never could handle that wattage.

Another likely issue could be loose cables. You could also try and use a multimeter to test the 12v rail, see if under load, the voltage drops below say 11.8. If it's low, like going 11.4 and lower, it means it cannot handle the power draw for whatever reason.

Current
(5 items)
CPU
i7-8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Extreme4
GPU
GTX 1070
RAM
Corsair
Case
Fractal XL R2
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by farmdve; 09-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Tags
Nvidia , shutdown , x399

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in