Forum Jump: 

Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)

CPU: Threadripper 2920x
Current BIOS: F5C
CPU Overclock: Precision Boost Overdrive seems fine (highest core hits 4275 frequently on air cooling)

Pluses:

* Nice memory overclock - using Samsung ECC 8G sticks x4 (M391A1K43BB1-CRC)
rated for 2400 at 1.20v
running at 3400 at 1.23v

1. Ram Voltage controls mostly ignore changes. The 1.2v "stock" shows up as 1.236 - 1.248, so changing the setting to 1.23 doesn't really change anything (still 1.236-1.248).
2. Stable - ran Memtest86 for hours, no errors (although I have no idea as to how many times the ECC had to kick in during this, if any)
3. Can boot with RAM at 3600, but it's unstable with current voltage. RAM temps with 3400 / 1.23v are 36-38 degrees C, with the "back" stick running about 40-41 (next to the VRM heatsinks), so I'd rather not up the ram voltage until an extra fan is added.

* Quad Mem Channel works (judging from comments seen, elsewhere, there are some issues with some ram &/or some CPUs )

* 10GE Aquantia plus 2x Intel 1GE

* "G Connector" - a helpful piece of plastic the case cables (power sw, led, hd led, reset) can be popped into, and then the whole thing fits onto the pin headers on the mobo - once configured correctly, means no more worries about LED polarity when disconnecting/reconnecting. Why did it take 3 decades to come up with this?

* Dual BIOS - if one chip fries during flash, can switch to the other. One of them is even socketed! (am running to the socketed one - if it fries, can switch to the surface mount chip and buy replacement for the socketed chip)

Questionable:

What's up with the new USB 3.1 "Front Panel Connector" ? Why is it that the only port I can find to attach to it (other than an adapter from USB 3.1 header to USB 3.0 header, which is mildly pointless) connects to a back bracket with a cable too short to reach from the front of the board to the back of the case?
Case manufacturers need to catch up - of course people want a 10 MBps USB C connector on the front.

Fusion LEDs on the motherboard

No "reset" button on the motherboard (just power button and CMOS reset on back I/O connector)

Older Intel WiFi/Bluetooth chip (no BT 5, just 4 and earlier)

Not sure how well the onboard fan(s?) under the I/O shroud work at keeping the 10GE chip and VRMs cool

Does not appear that you can flash the "not in use" BIOS chip, like professional boards. Looks like can only swap which one is active, so the not in use chip is inaccessible.

Issues:

UEFI/BIOS and RAID - be careful - if you turn on the chipset SATA RAID, the only way to turn it off and still access the BIOS/UEFI settings is to clear the CMOS (not the preferred method) - also problems with installing the RAID drivers if boot from NVMe raid. It appears that the RAID Xpress 2 software doesn't properly integrate the NVMe drives with the SATA drives - only way to set NVMe RAID is from the UEFI settings.

Update: after getting a second NVMe M.2 drive, reinstalling OS and drivers, the RAID Xpress 2 software was able to display both NVMe and SATA RAID arrays within the web based GUI. Also, the BIOS/UEFI hang stopped occurring when attempting to access BIOS/UEFI after turning OFF RAID within the UEFI settings. Maybe RAID wasn't tested with just one M.2 drive? One more thing: within the UEFI RAID pages, there are a bunch of places where a drive is shown with the options to "Enable" or "Disable" - this was confusing until I realized it was simply bad translation to English:
"Enable" = Select while "Disable" means Deselect.

Last edited by HurnII; 12-19-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: correct typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Best of Luck. Have you started a cpu OC yet?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 03:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Just curious...is there any Xtreme users exists?
I got a code 33 when at Windows...so I am curious what that means!!
If anyone knows of course...

AMD Threadripper 2950x
32GB Team Dark Pro (3200C14 Samsung B-Die)
Sapphire Vega 64 LE + Sapphire Vega 64 LE
Samsun 970 Pro 512Gb + 6 HDD
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (Dual fan)
Thermaltake ToughPower DPS G 850W
Oldie
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in