Zenith Extreme x399 - 2990wx - NUMA groups - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Zenith Extreme x399 - 2990wx - NUMA groups

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Zenith Extreme x399 - 2990wx - NUMA groups

Hello,

I plan to buy Zenith Extreme but I need to be sure it will fit my needs and I'll be able achieve what I would like to (2 gaming machines in one box, each with RTX 2080ti using KVM-QEMU and device passthrough, out of that I'll run other virtual machines related to my work so I would like to configure everything for maximum possible performance).

I was trying to find how devices are connected on Zenith Extreme with 2990wx but I was not able to find the information anywhere.

As far as I understand, there are 4 long PCIe slots (16-8-16-8). I guess 2 of them (16-8) are connected to CPU die #0 and other two to CPU die #2 when 2990wx CPUs is in use and NUMA mode configured in BIOS. Also I've found that PCIe 8x slots are shared with M.2, ethernet, and eventually U.2 slot. As there is 1 M.2 directly on the board and other two on the DIMM.M I would like to know which M.2 slots are connected to CPU die 0 and which to CPU die 2. Out of that I would like to know which USB hubs are connected to which die as I also want to pass some USBs through to the virtual machines (or at least to one of them as the second should be used through the NVidia GameStream so keyboard/mouse/joystick/audio will not be directly connected to the physical box).

Is there an image showing how devices are wired on the MB, which are connected directly to CPU to which die and which are connected through the chipset?

Thanks for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks to guys on ROG forum!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...d=1#post750011

I was hoping that at least one M.2 will be connected through the chipset so I'll be able to passthrough 2 SSD's to gaming machines directly what is not the case but never mind, I'll use virtio storage for them.
Attached Images

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:06 AM
Geek

Quote: Originally Posted by fis-cz View Post
Thanks to guys on ROG forum!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...d=1#post750011

I was hoping that at least one M.2 will be connected through the chipset so I'll be able to passthrough 2 SSD's to gaming machines directly what is not the case but never mind, I'll use virtio storage for them.
The two NVMe drives on the riser card will be in separate IOMMU groups and you can passthrough each separately, at least this is what I see with ESXi 6.5 (latest as of this post) and BIOS 1601.
The other M.2 is grouped with the audio controller. The SATA ports are grouped with the USB 3.1 controller.

I've got a Windows 10 VM with 1080Ti, NVMe, USB 3.1 (card), HD audio, USB 3.1 (chipset), SATA controller and USB 3.0 (chipset) passed through. Then I have a FreeNAS VM with an LSI 2116 passed though.

Overall, the IOMMU groups are quite good and got better with (I think it was) 1501 or previous BIOS that added more separation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:09 AM
Geek

Quote: Originally Posted by fis-cz View Post
Hello,
Is there an image showing how devices are wired on the MB, which are connected directly to CPU to which die and which are connected through the chipset?
Thanks for help.
There is a chipset diagram in the post:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-a...l#post26290421

Tags
2990wx , kvm-qemu , numa , zenith-extreme-x399

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in