Replace Broken Capacitor on new Motherboard - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Replace Broken Capacitor on new Motherboard

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Replace Broken Capacitor on new Motherboard

Hi All,

Hoping for a little help/ guidance...

I was putting together new new build last night and accidentally sheared a capacitor that sits right under the GPU off the motherboard. I've seen a few threads/ guides and videos on replacing motherboard capacitors so will make an attempt to fix it on my own as I already have a lot of the required equipment (soldering iron etc...).

The first big question I have is how to read the specs on the capacitor so I can buy the correct replacement. Can anyone translate these markings for me?

PC Specs:
Asus Rog Strix x470 ITC motherboard
Ryzen 2700x CPU

Appreciate the help! feel free to share any other advice.

Cheers,

STF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	246882  

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	246884  

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	246886  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

FYI the markings on the capacitor are : MIL 270/16 5KW20
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM
Programmer

Rep: 1554 (Unique: 1016)
If in doubt consult with ASUS for the cap specs.

Intel Core i9 9900K HT 5GHz
GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
AMD ASUS STRIX OC VEGA 64
G-Skill Trident 2x8GB DDR4 4000MHz
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold
Corsair 900D + Custom Loop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I tried that but they are "not seeing an exact information about the size or the specifics" :/ Anyone know how to read these markings?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 285 (Unique: 210)
How did you manage to rip that off, never seen the pins with some internals being left on the board LOL.

I would say it's "MILitary" grade 270uF 16V capacitor. Pretty much get any solid state capacitor of 270uF 16V of that size with the pins you need, through hole or surface mount. Yours looks like through hole.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
How did you manage to rip that off, never seen the pins with some internals being left on the board LOL.

I would say it's "MILitary" grade 270uF 16V capacitor. Pretty much get any solid state capacitor of 270uF 16V of that size with the pins you need, through hole or surface mount. Yours looks like through hole.
Thanks appreciate it. I actually have built a bunch of computers and this is the first time it's happened to me. I'm trying to fit a large GPU in an Ncase M1 and there was a cable stuck between the MB and the GPU as I was wiggling it in. Lesson learned!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here is the part list I've narrowed it down to https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compo...yx4aw3Z1z0z7l5. I'm thinking that I'll have to measure the exact dimensions and filter down some more.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 285 (Unique: 210)
You can try something like mouser etc. I never buy from these since they are more of a western bulk supplier? They have things but you often have to buy a crap ton in bulk at once.
If you need just one part try local electronic parts stores, check their eshop or go to their brick store.
Or YoLo it from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-270uF-...frcectupt=true
Or get a pack like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Values-90....c100005.m1851
Or salvage it from something else.

Technically you might be OK not having that capacitor as long as those leads get snipped and aren't shorting anything. Or just solder on any regular capacitor with similar capacity and 16V+. The problem usually is physical space so you will likely want the polymer solid small capacitor of same specs and size.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
You can try something like mouser etc. I never buy from these since they are more of a western bulk supplier? They have things but you often have to buy a crap ton in bulk at once.
If you need just one part try local electronic parts stores, check their eshop or go to their brick store.
Or YoLo it from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-270uF-...frcectupt=true
Or get a pack like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Values-90....c100005.m1851
Or salvage it from something else.

Technically you might be OK not having that capacitor as long as those leads get snipped and aren't shorting anything. Or just solder on any regular capacitor with similar capacity and 16V+. The problem usually is physical space so you will likely want the polymer solid small capacitor of same specs and size.
Thanks! Didn't realize the capacitor wasn't necessarily needed. Will try to remove any loose leads and do some test to see if it boots.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 AM
Invalid Media

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
This also happened to me recently on a ROG Rampage X79...the capacitor between one of the GPU slots sheared off when I was trying to move two heavy water-blocked cards in the dark...I still have the broken-off capacitor and the two legs still stick out from the mobo.

All that said, I ended up using the mobo for light server duty w/ a single GPU and it works just fine...dual GPUs (slots 1, 3) not so much...eventually, I'll get around to re-soldering it but it is not urgent as single GPU duty is all that is needed for now.

Tags
amd 2700x , capacitor , motherboard issue , motherboard problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in