MSI Meg Creation, Top PCI-E Not Running 16x ? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI Meg Creation, Top PCI-E Not Running 16x ?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Not so new anymore...

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Actually, that is normal, if you are not running a 3D intensive task, the board actually Clocks down the mode to 1.1, as soon as you start anything intensive it does up to 3.0

Running BOINC Milkyway project it shows at 3.0.

One thing I'd mention is this is my first build and I have't done any tweaking/OCing yet. I did run the new OC Scanner utility on the cards, but that's it. As you noticed I'm also on V1.20 of the board BIOS. I'm probably as close to "fresh out of box" as I could be.

CPU
Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX
Motherboard
MSI MEG X399 CREATION
GPU
2x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
RAM
Corsair CMR128GX4MZ2933C1
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 970 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA T1600
Case
Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
3x ACER Predator XB1
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Corsair Dark Core RGB
Other
Obutto R3Volution Cockpit
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
To run pci-e in 3.0 mode or 16x, you must connect molex power to the board located on bottom. Sorry for my bad english. with out it I can run only 2.0 or 1.1 standard, bios is beta 1.31

Last edited by jazzlee174; 02-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by jazzlee174 View Post
To run pci-e in 3.0 mode or 16x, you must connect molex power to the board located on bottom. Sorry for my bad english. with out it I can run only 2.0 or 1.1 standard, bios is beta 1.31
Thanks, that actually would not make any difference connecting the molex or not in this case. I did however fix the issue anyway by once again re-seating the card.

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:02 AM
Keyboard Warrior

Rep: 34 (Unique: 29)
PCI-e can go into power-saving mode and lower its "displayed" active mode within an OS can therefore vary from x16 to x8 or x4 depending on system load so sometimes when you initialize a hardware monitoring piece of software it may be inaccurate at displaying whats actually going on since it only has direct access to the firmware to read certain sensors and information off of your device on launch. Not every attribute listed is real-time in displaying updated information accurately, especially on pci-e video cards that are always adjusting clock-speed and power draw based on usage%.

If you're worried about lost potential performance then I would get a different board with dedicated PLX chips for true x16 to every slot without digital interpolating of electron traffic when multiple slots are occupied. Very few boards actually run x16 24/7 on more than one slot at a time, especially on an AMD.

Last edited by Overkill; 03-31-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in