Originally Posted by Dogzilla07
Y pretty much after the B450 Carbon you have to go to X470. The Prime X470-Pro is a good choice, same VRM quality, maybe worse heatsinks than B450 Carbon, better bios probably(though not sure now with offset fix for MSI boards), and it's got a nice color design scheme. And then at least for VRM quality the MSI X470 Pro Carbon, Asus Strix-X470F and Taichi(if i remember correctly) are a step up and better than everything else before them. No AC/WIFI version of the X470 Carbon Pro, for X470 that's the Gaming M7 AC.
some boards are missing but it's a good start, i found the link on here on overclock.net
Not an easy choice
, To make it easier i guess try to decide first if you want integrated WIFI or not, and how long do you want to wait for the B450 Carbon AC to come in stock. The Taichi the Prime Pro are both quite good, if you want to mess in bios a lot probably Prime Pro. Now if you don't mind worse overclock, the Gaming 5 WIFI is a good choice.
Wait nvm i just noticed the Taichi also has WIFI, that puts it infront, depending on the price of course.
I have that spreadsheet, too.
But, I thought of spending a bit less on the mobo since I need some more components to finish the build - like the case, psu etc. I also am interested in getting the 3700X when it comes out so I don't know whether to get that cpu and the next mobo chipset, X570, or see if it will work in whatever mobo I buy now/soon.
Maybe that should convince me to buy a mobo that has good vrms/heatsinks? There's so much conflicting/various info on boards - it seems there is an issue with every board we're talking about or various customers will find an issue and others will say their board is fine.
The Taichi is $238 CAD here but only after a $50 rebate so you might as well say it's about $290. The Prime Pro and B450 Pro Carbon (if I can find it at the only vendor that has or might have low stock) is $190. The X470 Pro Carbon is $230 CAD and the Strix-F is $250 CAD. The Gaming 5 is $220 or so, I forget. I thought going over $300 is either too much or not much gain for what you are getting - I might as well save 'the $100' towards a next gen board if I was going to pay that much.
As for the wifi/BT, I think I'll just save up some $$ and buy one of those 'expansion cards' - that way, it doesn't matter which mobo I choose although the total cost would go up. It seems you can get the same chipset - for e.g., Intel 9260 wifi chipset and BT 5 - with at least, two of the cards - Gigabyte makes one and I noticed a 'no-name' one on ebay.
Those prices are just at the moment and can change any time.