MSI Betrays AMD's Socket AM4 Longevity Promise:No Zen2 for 300-series? (Debunked) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI Betrays AMD's Socket AM4 Longevity Promise:No Zen2 for 300-series? (Debunked)

Closed Thread

post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 636 (Unique: 438)
Quote: Originally Posted by Outcasst View Post
I refuse to believe that AMD would let MSI do this. However, if this is true, MSI will probably just add Ryzen 3000 support because AMD forces them to and that's it. No stability or compatibility updates after that.

I doubt AMD would do much at all. Motherboard vendors are free to support what they want with their products.

Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Wasnt the issue more related to 300 series bios chips not being large enough on many models to hold all the CPU info for all these generations?

I read something similar, but I doubt it's anything specific to the 300 series. More like they all have a limited space and it's not possible to add support for newer CPUs indefinitely. If I'm not mistaken, some vendors already dropped some older CPUs from their compatibility list in their latest BIOS (none of them Zen related).

Magicbox
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
RX 480 Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Hard Drive
HyperX 3K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
Morpheus II
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2515H
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
G502
Mousepad
G440
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
If someone mentioned any of this, apologies as i haven't read previous posts; otherwise..

1) some random low level employee making a mistake is always a possibility, this wasn't exactly a public statement we're dissecting here; they rushed with this (techpowerup), i wouldn't take it as fact.
2) 'electrical' can mean a great number of things, only a few of which are directly related to VRM, which is how techpowerup 'translated' the issue and term.. 'electrical' could be related to the new X570 chipset (which i'd remind is to be made inhouse by AMD this time around, unlike say the 550 and 530), to the PCIEx4.0 wiring/tracing, or to any other factor that would need a technical, physical modification.. and as such, could not be fixed by a simple soft/firm-ware "update". Who said electrical=VRM capability?
3) while i wouldn't like this either, what i need remind is that they promised AM4 support until 2020.. AM4 generally.. many ways to spin this and i never understood why/how so many folks were so certain it meant what they thought it meant. Hell, we don't even know if the big Ryzens (upcoming 12 and 16) can fit on an AM4 mobo.. there's physical dimensions, there's also the number of pins. Yes?

Let's wait a bit and find out

* as to the BIOS chips capacity, this has been explained and showcased to the outmost detail, i don't see who and why thought it necessary to bring it up again, but.. why not!

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 04-15-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 208 (Unique: 96)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Stay away from ASRock unless you are buying high end. I along with others have had nothing but trouble with the ASRock B350 ITX/AC board. On top of that, their customer service is bad and there is an out of pocket cost for using the warranty on a malfunctioning product.

Never had any trouble at all with Asus. Gigabyte is pretty good too.
This. The FM2 ASRock I bought for a budget build was a POS. Never had trouble with more expensive ones.

And my experience with ASUS couldn't be better except for that one time they refused to update my Z97 with Spectre and Meltdown patches.

Never owned a Gigabyte or MSI because I've always found something better for all my components.

EDIT: NVM that Gigabyte part, my one and only Gigabyte part was a passive 6600GT.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter

Last edited by Imouto; 04-15-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 208 (Unique: 132)
I can see bad feelings towards MSI really catching traction over this. Every 500 series motherboard they put out needs to have a better power system than every 300 series motherboard they made if they are going to even attempt this.

I really don't see their cheapest 500 series board being more robust than their best 300 series board, but who knows.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 270 (Unique: 117)
If this turns out to be true, MSI themselves will be getting the short end of the stick in the future. I for one already refuse to support them after the whole GPP thing (including Gigabyte, I'm on the fence on Asus). This reinforces the idea of not buying any MSI products for me, if true. My X470 motherboard is Asrock for that exact reason. Yes, I vote with my money.

If you can't support a few boards due to power requirements, that's a whole other ballgame. But simply refusing to support it because you want more money... Yeah... AMD shouldn't allow this. Because if one does it, the other ones might follow suit for the next generation as well, screwing over the consumer. AMD should even consider ditching MSI as one of their motherboard makers, simply because they are not complying with AMD's company values. AMD advertised this after all, and they really cannot use the confusion and inconvenience of uninformed customers buying motherboards that ultimately don't support certain CPUs. It WILL cost AMD, where confused customers refer back to Intel because of confusion.
I doubt there are many people that exclusively buy MSI anyway, especially since in the past many of their AMD boards have been trash. Their top tier X370 board was underwhelming as well compared to the competition. If they want to continue their Intel-like mentality, let them release Intel chipset motherboards only.
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 65 (Unique: 55)
Didn't Intel do something similar with recent CPU's requiring a new chipset when the older boards were fully compatible? I seem to recall discussions about minor bios tweaks enabling the 8700k on a 7700K vintage chipset.

That would be a bit different though as Intel never promised their socket would be compatible with future products.

post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 PM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 208 (Unique: 132)
Hopefully AMD doesn't end up taking the PR ding on this one. I can see this spreading around as AMD breaking their promise instead of MSI sticking it to their customers.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:14 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1789 (Unique: 1170)
I get that this is a problem but I also do not see much point on getting a new CPU (Zen2) with an old x370 MB. There are going to be memory compatibility issues, less OC, fewer features supported. Let say someone with 1600/1700 (x370) wants ryzen 2 cpu. Where is the old CPU going to go? Both those CPU are no upgrade paths for most people considering Ryzen sales show ryzen 5 1600 and above have 85% of sales. In any case I would sell 1600 with mb as combo.

Ishimura
(13 items)
Yamato
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Hardware Enthusiast

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
I get that this is a problem but I also do not see much point on getting a new CPU (Zen2) with an old x370 MB. There are going to be memory compatibility issues, less OC, fewer features supported. Let say someone with 1600/1700 (x370) wants ryzen 2 cpu. Where is the old CPU going to go? Both those CPU are no upgrade paths for most people considering Ryzen sales show ryzen 5 1600 and above have 85% of sales. In any case I would sell 1600 with mb as combo.
I'm thinking that everyone that did buy 1st gen Ryzen are gonna be the first to upgrade to Zen 2, and for example the Crosshair VI has gotten PBO back with the latest bios meaning that the most important features for Zen 2 are there. The only thing I'm not certain about is memory OC but considering that 1st gen Ryzen is notorious for the unstable memory controller I doubt Zen 2 is going to be worse in terms of memory stability.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 133 (Unique: 89)
MSI at it again?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev.../#8bdaf2f1658f

I would find it hard to believe anyone with anything to do with AMD would buy MSI.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in