Looking to buy mobo keeping Ryzen 3000 and RAM SPD in mind. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Looking to buy mobo keeping Ryzen 3000 and RAM SPD in mind.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
Melted Cheese
 
Exostenza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,156
Rep: 251 (Unique: 217)
Looking to buy mobo keeping Ryzen 3000 and RAM SPD in mind.

So, I have RAM that needs an X series motherboard and if I am going to buy one now I would like it to be future proof for the 3600X as that is what I am planning to buy when it releases. I currently have An R5 1600 With the Asus B350-f Strix Gaming and I love it. It is definitely one of the best, if not the best, B350 motherboards and it has suited me well. At the moment I have this RAM kit F4-3866C18D-16GTZR as I was able to get it $100 off so why not? It is Samsung B-Die and I would like to run it at its rated speed or something close to it. I am most definitely going to buy the 3600X when it drops and want to OC that as much as possible with the EVGA CLC 280 I got at a price I couldn't say no to (otherwise I would definitely NOT have an AIO water cooler).


Anyways, reading up on X570 it doesn't seem like there is anything there I will need and the X470 boards seems like they are at a good price now. I was thinking of either getting the ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO as I do not need wifi or bt or the Tachi X470 which unfortunately has wifi and bt although it is worse than the expansion card I already have but the VRMs on it seem amazing. I can get the Tachi X470 for 289.99 + tax (324.80) with a 50 dollar mail in rebate or the ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO for 337.49 + tax (375).


Should I go ahead and pick up the ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO tomorrow morning and wait for the 3600X to come out, order in the Taichi X470 and do the same thing, or wait altogether until the X570 board release for either a better price on the X470 boards or get an X570 (which I don't know if I like to afford but maybe they will just take the place of the old X470 boards and be the price I'm spending now?).


Am I over spending for a 3600X and F4-3866C18D-16GTZR RAM and should I consider getting the Strix X470-F Gaming or the Asus prime X470 Pro? Am I being hasty and wait for the x570 series to drop with the new AMD GPUs as well which I fully intend to upgrade to if they give nVidia a run for their money and worth an upgrade from my current OC's GTX 1080?


I really don't know what to do and just want to make sure I am making the best decision. Heck, even my Strix B350-F Gaming is Ryzen 3000 ready already, but it most definitely cannot handle the RAM speeds I want to attain.


Please, any and all advice is much appreciated!

»The Ryzen™ Master•24/7 RØCK SØLIЫ
AMD Ryzen™ R5 2600X»4.3ghz16GB G.Skill Trident Z»3200mhz RGB 14-14-14-28-42-1T SamB-DieRØG STRIX B350-F Gaming»4602RØG STRIX GTX 1080 A8G»2037mhz/11ghzSamsung 27" QLED»1440p 144hzCørsair RM850x•[U]EVGA CLC 280»Arctic Cøøling P14 PWM Static Pressure Optimised Fans Black»Windøws 10 x64 Pro 1809»"Garbage Editiøn"2.5TB SSD ∑ størage
Exostenza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
Melted Cheese
 
Exostenza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,156
Rep: 251 (Unique: 217)
Opps wrong thread....

»The Ryzen™ Master•24/7 RØCK SØLIЫ
AMD Ryzen™ R5 2600X»4.3ghz16GB G.Skill Trident Z»3200mhz RGB 14-14-14-28-42-1T SamB-DieRØG STRIX B350-F Gaming»4602RØG STRIX GTX 1080 A8G»2037mhz/11ghzSamsung 27" QLED»1440p 144hzCørsair RM850x•[U]EVGA CLC 280»Arctic Cøøling P14 PWM Static Pressure Optimised Fans Black»Windøws 10 x64 Pro 1809»"Garbage Editiøn"2.5TB SSD ∑ størage

Last edited by Exostenza; 05-03-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Exostenza is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
rdr09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: From the US but lives in Africa
Posts: 17,972
Rep: 849 (Unique: 621)
Quote: Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post
So, I got in the new intel chipset and swapped them out. Worked like a charm! My friend got the new one (gigabyte) and we compared; couldn't find a difference.

Thought I would post for posterity.

What intel chipset you talking about?

BTW, we have same set up. I swapped the R5 1600 with the R7 2700 for a few weeks paired with a FlareX and was able to run at 3466 CL14. With Ryzen 3000, you could possibly run the RAM at manufacturer's spec.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B350 3466 MHz.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	267808  


[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
2700
Motherboard
X470
GPU
290
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
1000
Power Supply
700
Case
212
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
rdr09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Melted Cheese
 
Exostenza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,156
Rep: 251 (Unique: 217)
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
What intel chipset you talking about?

BTW, we have same set up. I swapped the R5 1600 with the R7 2700 for a few weeks paired with a FlareX and was able to run at 3466 CL14. With Ryzen 3000, you could possibly run the RAM at manufacturer's spec.
Lol, thanks for replying or I wouldn't have noticed. That was a response for another thread where I swapped out and intel bluetooth and wifi module on a gigabyte pci-e board.

I am looking to snag the X470-F gaming and either the 2600X or the 2700 I don't know which one yet. 50 bucks more for the 2700 I might as well get 2 more cores with games all going multicore now and the next consoles both having ryzen cpus in them, eh?

»The Ryzen™ Master•24/7 RØCK SØLIЫ
AMD Ryzen™ R5 2600X»4.3ghz16GB G.Skill Trident Z»3200mhz RGB 14-14-14-28-42-1T SamB-DieRØG STRIX B350-F Gaming»4602RØG STRIX GTX 1080 A8G»2037mhz/11ghzSamsung 27" QLED»1440p 144hzCørsair RM850x•[U]EVGA CLC 280»Arctic Cøøling P14 PWM Static Pressure Optimised Fans Black»Windøws 10 x64 Pro 1809»"Garbage Editiøn"2.5TB SSD ∑ størage
Exostenza is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:45 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
rdr09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: From the US but lives in Africa
Posts: 17,972
Rep: 849 (Unique: 621)
Quote: Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post
Lol, thanks for replying or I wouldn't have noticed. That was a response for another thread where I swapped out and intel bluetooth and wifi module on a gigabyte pci-e board.

I am looking to snag the X470-F gaming and either the 2600X or the 2700 I don't know which one yet. 50 bucks more for the 2700 I might as well get 2 more cores with games all going multicore now and the next consoles both having ryzen cpus in them, eh?
Oh noes. Save your money. I heard the 7nms are coming mid-June. Just sit tight.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
2700
Motherboard
X470
GPU
290
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
1000
Power Supply
700
Case
212
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
rdr09 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Melted Cheese
 
Exostenza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,156
Rep: 251 (Unique: 217)
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
Oh noes. Save your money. I heard the 7nms are coming mid-June. Just sit tight.
I am aware of the new CPUs on the way and all about the 5 series chipset that is set to follow. There is nothing on the 5 series chipset that I need and I don't like to be on an upgrade schedule that leaves me on the first gen of the chip as the second gen is always better. If I grab zen+ now while its on sale for very cheap I can easily hold off until zen2+ and the 6 series chipset if there is anything on there that entices me.

I'll definitely be needing an X470 and the STRIX X470-F Gaming is on a decent sale right now while the Zen+ processors are on sale as well and come with 2 games I don't want which is another 120 bucks or so off. I'd be saving at least 350-400 by buying zen+ now and waiting for zen2+ until my next upgrade. I believe I will pick up that mobo and a 2700 for nice and cheap then ride it out for another year. I don't need to spend full price on things. I might want Zen2 when it drops and if I do the worst thing that happens is I sell my 2700 and get a new CPU, but no way do I need a 5 series motherboard. Now seems like the perfect time to buy.

»The Ryzen™ Master•24/7 RØCK SØLIЫ
AMD Ryzen™ R5 2600X»4.3ghz16GB G.Skill Trident Z»3200mhz RGB 14-14-14-28-42-1T SamB-DieRØG STRIX B350-F Gaming»4602RØG STRIX GTX 1080 A8G»2037mhz/11ghzSamsung 27" QLED»1440p 144hzCørsair RM850x•[U]EVGA CLC 280»Arctic Cøøling P14 PWM Static Pressure Optimised Fans Black»Windøws 10 x64 Pro 1809»"Garbage Editiøn"2.5TB SSD ∑ størage
Exostenza is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:59 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
rdr09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: From the US but lives in Africa
Posts: 17,972
Rep: 849 (Unique: 621)
Quote: Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post
I am aware of the new CPUs on the way and all about the 5 series chipset that is set to follow. There is nothing on the 5 series chipset that I need and I don't like to be on an upgrade schedule that leaves me on the first gen of the chip as the second gen is always better. If I grab zen+ now while its on sale for very cheap I can easily hold off until zen2+ and the 6 series chipset if there is anything on there that entices me.

I'll definitely be needing an X470 and the STRIX X470-F Gaming is on a decent sale right now while the Zen+ processors are on sale as well and come with 2 games I don't want which is another 120 bucks or so off. I'd be saving at least 350-400 by buying zen+ now and waiting for zen2+ until my next upgrade. I believe I will pick up that mobo and a 2700 for nice and cheap then ride it out for another year. I don't need to spend full price on things. I might want Zen2 when it drops and if I do the worst thing that happens is I sell my 2700 and get a new CPU, but no way do I need a 5 series motherboard. Now seems like the perfect time to buy.
I think its gonna be called Zen3. Yah, its scheduled for 2020. Yes, a X470 will work better for the 2700. The Asus Prime Pro does have good bios support but i've been reading good things about MSI X470 boards and even its B450 Pro Carbon. They seem to have stepped up their game.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
2700
Motherboard
X470
GPU
290
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
1000
Power Supply
700
Case
212
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
rdr09 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
Melted Cheese
 
Exostenza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,156
Rep: 251 (Unique: 217)
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
I think its gonna be called Zen3. Yah, its scheduled for 2020. Yes, a X470 will work better for the 2700. The Asus Prime Pro does have good bios support but i've been reading good things about MSI X470 boards and even its B450 Pro Carbon. They seem to have stepped up their game.
Thanks for the info.

I think plan now is sell this 1600 and I was feeling generous so I put it up for $140 CAD and it sold in a day. They are coming to get it tomorrow. I am going to grab the 2600X for $240 (everything here is in Canadian dollars) and sell the games it comes with (which means I will be paying very little out of pocket) so I can have the enhanced memory compatibility as that mainly chip dependent as not chipset per say (I say this because changing from Zen to Zen+ has far bigger impact on memory compatibility than upgrading to the B450 version of my board and retaining the Zen1 CPU, although I also know that the x chipsets have better power management which plays a factor as well) so sticking with my Asus STRIX B350-F Gaming for now and grabbing the 2600X will allow me to better use my RAM kit until I let dust settle on the 5 series chipsets and Zen2 processors. I will likely pick out either the ASUS STRIX x470-F gaming (I love this board and definitely want it) on an excellent discount when they are trying to get rid of stock for the x570s if the new chipset doesn't being anything amazing to the table and grabbing a 3600X down the line when I need it or outright waiting for the 4000 series as I would rather be on the Zen+ refresh upgrade cycle than the Zen cycle.

I realize picking up a 2600X now seems a bit ridiculous considering in all likelihood we will see Zen2 out in a month but I am willing to hedge my bets on low availability and maybe a bit higher prices off the get go because of demand which I would rather skip and really it is the enhanced memory compatibility I am looking for and not extra power at this point. With the 1600 still worth some coin and being able to sell the 2 games it comes with I think I will be spending $60 and Amazon just issued me $30 in credit because of something they messed up on which brings it to $30 for a chip better suited to my RAM. Sounds good to me!

Thoughts?

»The Ryzen™ Master•24/7 RØCK SØLIЫ
AMD Ryzen™ R5 2600X»4.3ghz16GB G.Skill Trident Z»3200mhz RGB 14-14-14-28-42-1T SamB-DieRØG STRIX B350-F Gaming»4602RØG STRIX GTX 1080 A8G»2037mhz/11ghzSamsung 27" QLED»1440p 144hzCørsair RM850x•[U]EVGA CLC 280»Arctic Cøøling P14 PWM Static Pressure Optimised Fans Black»Windøws 10 x64 Pro 1809»"Garbage Editiøn"2.5TB SSD ∑ størage
Exostenza is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
rdr09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: From the US but lives in Africa
Posts: 17,972
Rep: 849 (Unique: 621)
Quote: Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post
Thanks for the info.

I think plan now is sell this 1600 and I was feeling generous so I put it up for $140 CAD and it sold in a day. They are coming to get it tomorrow. I am going to grab the 2600X for $240 (everything here is in Canadian dollars) and sell the games it comes with (which means I will be paying very little out of pocket) so I can have the enhanced memory compatibility as that mainly chip dependent as not chipset per say (I say this because changing from Zen to Zen+ has far bigger impact on memory compatibility than upgrading to the B450 version of my board and retaining the Zen1 CPU, although I also know that the x chipsets have better power management which plays a factor as well) so sticking with my Asus STRIX B350-F Gaming for now and grabbing the 2600X will allow me to better use my RAM kit until I let dust settle on the 5 series chipsets and Zen2 processors. I will likely pick out either the ASUS STRIX x470-F gaming (I love this board and definitely want it) on an excellent discount when they are trying to get rid of stock for the x570s if the new chipset doesn't being anything amazing to the table and grabbing a 3600X down the line when I need it or outright waiting for the 4000 series as I would rather be on the Zen+ refresh upgrade cycle than the Zen cycle.

I realize picking up a 2600X now seems a bit ridiculous considering in all likelihood we will see Zen2 out in a month but I am willing to hedge my bets on low availability and maybe a bit higher prices off the get go because of demand which I would rather skip and really it is the enhanced memory compatibility I am looking for and not extra power at this point. With the 1600 still worth some coin and being able to sell the 2 games it comes with I think I will be spending $60 and Amazon just issued me $30 in credit because of something they messed up on which brings it to $30 for a chip better suited to my RAM. Sounds good to me!

Thoughts?

I don't think it's ridiculous. If i have a GTX 1080 or higher, i'll swap my 1600 with a 2600X now just like you plan. Yah, the B350-F motherboard is such a good board, especially for just a 6-core. BIOS support is fantastic. My plan is kinda similar. I'll be getting a Ryzen 3K 12-core for my Prime Pro(if confirmed that the board can handle it) and move my 2700 to the B350-F. Sell the 1600. This way i have some funds for the new Navi gpu.

With the 2600X and some fast RAM you'd be set for quite a awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3466.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	268460  


[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
2700
Motherboard
X470
GPU
290
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
1000
Power Supply
700
Case
212
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
rdr09 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Melted Cheese
 
Exostenza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,156
Rep: 251 (Unique: 217)
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
I don't think it's ridiculous. If i have a GTX 1080 or higher, i'll swap my 1600 with a 2600X now just like you plan. Yah, the B350-F motherboard is such a good board, especially for just a 6-core. BIOS support is fantastic. My plan is kinda similar. I'll be getting a Ryzen 3K 12-core for my Prime Pro(if confirmed that the board can handle it) and move my 2700 to the B350-F. Sell the 1600. This way i have some funds for the new Navi gpu.

With the 2600X and some fast RAM you'd be set for quite a awhile.
So I ended up selling my 1600 and the 2 games that came with it which made it only 30 cad to make the switch. I am running it @ 4.3ghz no sweat with a max temp of 58c. It is most definitely a much easier CPU to work with and the latency between the main components are lower which is also nice and a noticeable. I was hoping to get at least 3400mhz with my RAM using the same timings but the motherboard just doesn't have the power for the ultra high end RAM which kind of sucks although I found the STRIX x470-f gaming for lower than it has ever been (230 cad) and ordered it. On Wednesday I will see the difference between the top tier B350 and X470. Considering what the B350 is capable of doing with significantly less than the power of the X470 variant I am excited to see what kind of OC I can get on the CPU and RAM. Maybe 4.4 or even 4.5ghz on the cpu and 3600mhz CL14 on the RAM would amazing. Asus has most definitely provided the best boards through their STRIX line for Ryzen processors IMHO.

I also really hope that Navi delivers at least 1080 Ti performance (of raw power which means significantly better dx12/vulkan performance) with 12-12gb of VRAM for 500-600 CAD. That isn't asking much considering how old the 1080 Ti is and that Navi will be a 7nm part. If that happens I will likely hop on board there and wait a while on the CPU department as this 2600X with the OC seems like it should be fine until Zen2+ comes out. If they fail with the GPUs however I may need to get that 3600X as it looks like one heck of a chip for the price. Heck, even if Navi is good I might have to get the 3600X as it seems too good to be true. The x470 STRIX will have no issues running that CPU and hopefully it comes with some games to offset the price. Everything AMD is looking better and better each year.

»The Ryzen™ Master•24/7 RØCK SØLIЫ
AMD Ryzen™ R5 2600X»4.3ghz16GB G.Skill Trident Z»3200mhz RGB 14-14-14-28-42-1T SamB-DieRØG STRIX B350-F Gaming»4602RØG STRIX GTX 1080 A8G»2037mhz/11ghzSamsung 27" QLED»1440p 144hzCørsair RM850x•[U]EVGA CLC 280»Arctic Cøøling P14 PWM Static Pressure Optimised Fans Black»Windøws 10 x64 Pro 1809»"Garbage Editiøn"2.5TB SSD ∑ størage
Exostenza is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off