ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399 Overclocking/Support - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399 Overclocking/Support

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Meddling user

Rep: 741 (Unique: 345)
ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399 Overclocking/Support

Last update date:- 23/06/19

Last 3 updates:-

1. FAQ has info on using Flashback feature.
  2. Added photos of TIM spread from EK/Bykski block when removed from ZE.
  3. Further 3400MHz C15 1T test data plus add some of my builds info in OP.

ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399
Overclocking/Support

Name:  Board image.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  57.4 KB

Disclosure:-

The board is supplied to me by ASUS as a sample, it is a full retail sample from what I can tell. I have had the motherboard since early March 2019. Due to unforeseen circumstances I did not get to use it until recently.

Nothing has been stated to me on what I can or can not do with it, say about it, etc. Any thing by me within this thread are my own opinions and shares as I would do if I had purchased the motherboard. OP is constructed as I wish plus on how the thread evolves/needs of it for my own and other fellow owners.

ASUS WMI

Spoiler!

Intel AC 9260 (9260NGW)

Spoiler!

Thoughts on Zenith Extreme Alpha coming from Zenith Extreme

Spoiler!

My TIM spread results

Spoiler!

PMU Training menu

Spoiler!

*** more content to be added ***

My ZEA Build info

Spoiler!

Quirk noted in UEFI 0207/0405

Spoiler!

FAQ

*** More info to be added ***

UEFI Flashback
Spoiler!

Links
Spoiler!

Last edited by gupsterg; 07-10-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Few questions issues:

1. Does anyone have issue with once in a while flickering RGB light ?
2. Also what is this PME training ? Should i keep it disable or enable ?
3. Have anyone check DPC latency ? I found out DPC is huge when AURA Lighting Service is running --> https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml.

Last edited by MacMus; 05-30-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
Meddling user

1. I currently only use RGB which is on board plus a Bykski block. The block uses non addressable RGB. Board and block tested for at stock "Rainbow" and static "Red", so far no issues. I can't see me adding more RGB as this is more than ample for me.

2. I may have missed PME training, if you mean PMU training it is the IMC training (Integrated Memory Controller). IMO what settings you may need would depend on HW in use, targetted settings.

3. I don't run Aura all the time, I tend to set RGB as I'd like, uninstall it (well revert to OS image without it) and board remembers the settings I use. In the past when I tested certain profiles of RGB all will not be remembered by board, so the OS SW is needed for them to function. If this has changed I do not know. When I tested RGB profiles in the past on it was for another aspect. If I have time I will try again some tests.

Last edited by gupsterg; 05-31-2019 at 02:47 AM.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
1. I currently only use RGB which is on board plus a Bykski block. The block uses non addressable RGB. Board and block tested for at stock "Rainbow" and static "Red", so far no issues. I can't see me adding more RGB as this is more than ample for me.

2. I may have missed PME training, if you mean PMU training it is the IMC training (Integrated Memory Controller). IMO what settings you may need would depend on HW in use, targetted settings.

3. I don't run Aura all the time, I tend to set RGB as I'd like, uninstall it (well revert to OS image without it) and board remembers the settings I use. In the past when I tested certain profiles of RGB all will not be remembered by board, so the OS SW is needed for them to function. If this has changed I do not know. When I tested RGB profiles in the past on it was for another aspect. If I have time I will try again some tests.
My board does not remember RGB settings on addressable connections and RAM, It does remember of 5V and OoBoard rgb configurations even with S3+S5 settings.
I cannot boot my mobo if I set erp modes to anything else then S3+S5. In S3+S5 mode it always shutdows and perform "dual boot" untill it finally boots. I use S3+S5 to keep off all RGB when board in shut down.

Rencently I started to have issue that board does not boot until I pull battery complexly and reinsert it after some times. Not sure what is that all about.. It is just stuck on code 00. I see it happening on the new BIOS i never had this issue on the old one.

PMU training by default is set to Auto i tried to set it to Enable, but it does not have any additional affect.

I see flickering of RGB when i am playing a game or something .. I have 1000W PSU and 2080ti i wonder if I 'm pulling more then that which makes PSU uncomfortable ;-(

Edit:

One more issue i remember LiveDash sometimes just stops especially when heavy CPU load is involved. Restarts serveices in windows does not help. Only full cold PC restart bring LiveDash to live.

Last edited by MacMus; 06-01-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
Meddling user

Sorry I don't have access to any addressable RGB items, nor RGB RAM, hopefully another owner can comment.

To have RGB off on shutdown I use setting:-

When system is in sleep, hibernate or soft off states [Aura Off]

Found on Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration.

This "dual boot" maybe down to another issue. Perhaps share a UEFI settings txt and hardware being used. I have added in OP info on my system so gives better context for test data, etc I'm sharing.

I use a Cooler Master V850 for my setup, peak watts I've seen on my wall meter IIRC is ~750W if CPU & GPU OC'd when under high load. As decent power supplies are rated on PC side I am well within it's capabilities to function without issue. Perhaps gain a wall meter plug.

I do reference OLED on mobo at times, I have not noted it go off or have an issue. Currently it is set as it would be from factory, I have not installed any OS SW relating to it either. I added further test data, where rig had been under heavy load for over ~24hrs continuously.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 21)
I passed on this, but hows the Alpha do over the original extreme?

Don't forget to ground yourself smile.gif

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
Meddling user

I've added most of my thoughts on ZE vs ZEA in OP. So far in usage and performance seems the same, except VRM temps are improved. I've only had the fans on VRM come on once, did not even know they were on until saw the reading in HWINFO. I did capture a video of them which I will place in OP soon. All the did was come on momentarily and turn off again, this was with 3.9GHz OC on 1950X, loaded with P95.

UEFI is exactly the same besides some new options for things like controlling PSU fans which use the "Node" connector.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
This "dual boot" maybe down to another issue. Perhaps share a UEFI settings txt and hardware being used.
How to capture txt file with that?
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Could someone capture IOMMU groups and lstopo of this board with all populated PCIE devices, so we know what NUMA goes to which PCIE/RAM sticks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in