Are they kidding me? X570 and Fan - Page 22 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Are they kidding me? X570 and Fan

post #211 of 216 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 17)
Thx. Wouldnt it be even better using paste instead of a pad in this case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 216 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Performer81 View Post
Thx. Wouldnt it be even better using paste instead of a pad in this case?
I wouldn't try it. Most likely it will leave a gap and overheat/burn up your chipset. It's designed to use a 1mm thick pad.
post #213 of 216 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 17)
Just as a tip. I just removed the shroud over the heatsink. Idle temps are very promising. Stopped rising at about 60 degrees, before it was like 67 or so. 15 minutes of gaming loop resulted in 72 degrees, before it was more like 77. But its also a little colder here than yesterday. All good. CAse is a Coolermaster HAF512.

What was more concerning that i found out that one vrm heatsink screw wasnt tightened at all!!!! I could easily screw it in like 4 or 5 complete turns!!
Chipset heatsink was tightened good.

So remove that silly shroud and check your screws. Board X570 Tuf Gaming WIFI by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 216 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:02 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
In below Video Der8auer used a small black passive ebay cooler and he topped out @74 degrees max.

15:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk3PD-4zPN0&t=909s
That's not practical unless you own an AORUS ITX board which has the chipset above the PCIE slots and also is unable to have more than 1 GPU and 2 M.2. There's GPU clearance issues on ATX boards unless the chipset heatsink is <15mm tall (that's including whatever thermal pad is used) although in his video it was a short GPU. He wasn't pushing his chipset that much but ideally you want a heatsink capable of dissipating 15W (which is going to be more akin to 40mmx40mm footprint at a minimum with ~ 200LFM airflow) to keep the chipset below 80°C. Assuming 30°C board temp you would need < 3.3°C/W heatsinking (i.e. including the transfer from the chip to the heatsink with thermal pads), which also doesn't account for warmer environments that aren't climate controlled. Why you need to account for 15W (i.e. the full TDP of the chipset) is the MP600 SSD is not a true Gen 4 SSD, it's more like Gen 3.5 ; there's quad M.2 "PCie 4.0" SSDs coming from Samsung and Gigabyte Aorus with 8GB/s *. The alternative is to run a riser cable for the GPU with airflow over the board and then you can use whatever chipset heatsink that doesn't interfere with motherboard components.

The most practical solution would be to have a large plate heatsink similar to the Taichi unless you have a heatpipe of some sort (one 6mm heatpipe can transport ~ 40W) to move the heat elsewhere such as on the Aorus Xtreme (which also has much metal connecting to the chipset heatsink) or MSI Ace / Creation (which still have fans). The fans act as a safety of sorts as those MSI boards have fan stop in BIOS. The Taichi doesn't have much fin area underneath the plate so the limiting factor is the transfer from the chipset to the chipset heatsink to the plate via the thermal pad (i.e. through 2 thermal pads).

* MP600 is Phison E16 controller which is Phison E12 with a PCIE 4.0 PHY. The E19 (Q1-Q2 2020) will be 12nm instead of 28nm to reduce the power consumption of the controller down from 8W.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 09-07-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #215 of 216 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 19)
gigabyte master have fan stop too. not an issue i found. never spin in my ambient 80°F
post #216 of 216 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Just as a tip. I just removed the shroud over the heatsink. Idle temps are very promising. Stopped rising at about 60 degrees, before it was like 67 or so. 15 minutes of gaming loop resulted in 72 degrees, before it was more like 77. But its also a little colder here than yesterday. All good. CAse is a Coolermaster HAF512.

What was more concerning that i found out that one vrm heatsink screw wasnt tightened at all!!!! I could easily screw it in like 4 or 5 complete turns!!
Chipset heatsink was tightened good.

So remove that silly shroud and check your screws. Board X570 Tuf Gaming WIFI by the way.

Can you show us pics of what it looks like before and after? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in