(Gigabyte X570 AORUS Owners Thread) - Page 101 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(Gigabyte X570 AORUS Owners Thread)

post #1001 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 44 (Unique: 35)
Quote: Originally Posted by Spectre73 View Post
So I had my first go with my Aorus Master today. I am coming from an x370 Taichi, so there are a few things to relearn.

1) As others have posted, it is very confusing that you sometimes have 2 or more places for the same setting. It is not really THAT bad, but you never know, which setting sticks and which setting does not, if you only change it in one place.

2) Second, the SOC setting is a little confusing. Do I need to change it along with the SOC overclocking setting in the same menu? Because it is stated there. What is the intention of this "SOC overclock enable" setting (don't remember the precise name)?

3) Under my old taichi, I could select XMP settings and modify timings etc. with that as a starting point. It seems, under Gigabyte BIOS, it is either XMP or manual, is this correct?

I would really appreciate a clean up. I know that the CBS menu can not really be influenced by GB, but at least hide the settings that can be changed in another menu and make sure, a changed setting in this other menu also applies to the (then hidden) AMD CBS setting.
1. Anything found under "AMD" CBS or "AMD" Overclocking are not adjustable by AIB's. We can only hide/show settings. We cannot rename them, edit them, etc. So for instance AMD CBS -> XFR enhancement has FCLK. AMD overclocking -> DDR and Infinity -> Infinity has Infinity dividers. These, AFAIK, are the same setting. Here is the rub. We can hide one, lets say XFR -> FCLK. But what if that is the menu you are used to? Which one should we hide? What if these menu's change in the future and we end up with no IF control because we hid the one that gets removed by AGESA? As to having one change the other, again we have no control over this. That is something you would need to suggest to AMD directly. So I understand the confusion, but we didn't design or have any input on these menu's, their layout, functionality, anything. All we can do is hide/show.

2. Sorry I don't understand the question.

3. You can set XMP, then manually adjust timings further. XMP would be the baseline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Hardware Rep

Quick update on RAM voltage, and spread spectrum -

RAM Voltage

I had R&D look into this - actually any software reading of a voltage (even bios) can be off from the actual voltage at the cpu. It's an approximation. So we did 3 tests. What does bios say, what do the voltage points on the x570 master say, and what can we read from the cpu socket.

• Set ram to 1.35 (xmp or manual, same result)
  • Save, exit, reboot.
  • Bios said 1.38
  • Voltage points said 1.37
  • Cpu socket said 1.364

So there does seem to be a 9mV "overshoot" in this test but to be frank that's really not a big issue. I get that we all want to set x and see x, dead on, no variance, just rock steady exactly what we put... But that's not really how voltage works. The number we put in bios actually goes through a large equation that also affects other voltages. It's all interdependent.

You would see the same thing with vcore. Software, voltage readout points, and testing the cpu socket will all be slightly different and rarely exactly what you typed in bios.

This is also a function of our philosophy when it comes to bios, temperatures, etc. We show you the value without any trickery. The same way we put vrm temperature probes smack in the middle. We could offset the probe a few mm and lower the temp, but what's the point? To what end? The idea behind readouts is to give you the most accurate information so you can tweak, optimize, or just check how the system is running. We are doing the same with voltage. We could set an offset to "show" 1.35v, even if the cpu is getting 1.364, but we don't. We are looking into ways to display a closer approximation of the voltage, ie 1.364 just like the cpu socket, but we won't do this through a magic hidden offset.

If you are dead set on getting as close to exact as you set you could try going 0.01 lower than you want, but even that is an approximation and will vary based on board, Psu, and cpu. The only true way to dial in an exact value would be to probe the cpu socket and test various settings until you hit the exact voltage you want.

Tl;Dr it should be fine. If you want to see a lower voltage then lower the input (~10mV) and see if its stable.

P. S. Ryzen master appears to just be reading the register (ie setting) from bios. Not what the voltage sensor says. The sensor is doing its job, but impedance affects reading vs reality.

Spread Spectrum -

This setting has been asked for to lock in BCLK, however its already OFF by default. We will add the option into next BIOS release, however from our testing it doesn't seem to do much (anything?). We tested on other vendors as well and confirmed it has no effect at the moment. We will try to fix on our end, if possible, but again the same behavior can be observed on other X570 vendor boards.

Last edited by GBT-MatthewH; 08-07-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #1003 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 25)
@GBT-MatthewH

If I could I want some extra features to be available in BIOS.

"CnQ"
"BGS"
"BGS ALT"
"IBS enable"

I usually like the most settings as possible to be available. There is quite a lot hidden on Gigabyte boards these days. (many things in AMD_CBS, AMD_PBS, AMD_OVERCLOCKING)

I request these because I've had better success setting them manually on other boards that have had these settings than letting the manufacturer decide what is OK/AUTO.
Basically performance enhancements. tune to my particular wants in behaviour.
There are settings like interleave size and whatnot as well and tons more.
There are a lot more settings I would want to tinker with but these are at the moment something I would like as a first for to be available.

Would be fun to have a BIOS with it all visible though.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME, Ryzen 7 3800X 4.45Ghz, 4266/1900 MEM/FCLK, 16.26.19.48.76.tRFC 650 1T 1.58V
4x8Gb Kingston HX434C19FB2K2/16 3466C19 1.2V (Micron E-die 16nm)
OLD: Biostar x470GT8 Ryzen 7 1700 @ ~4.0Ghz CPU, 3200Mhz RAM ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1004 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Hardware Rep

Quote: Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post
@GBT-MatthewH

If I could I want some extra features to be available in BIOS.

"CnQ"
"BGS"
"BGS ALT"
"IBS enable"

Would be fun to have a BIOS with it all visible though.
CnQ I am trying to get unlocked. For the others can you present an argument/use case for them so I can forward it?
post #1005 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by GBT-MatthewH View Post
CnQ I am trying to get unlocked. For the others can you present an argument/use case for them so I can forward it?
[BGS] & [BGS ALT]

Has to do with Memory and I found on another brand that Having [BGS ALT] disabled & [BGS] enabled for 4x8GB configuration gave a little performance gain.
Though that configuration isn't for all memory configurations so you have to set them for your individual needs/configurations.
2x8GB I think [BGS ALT] is recommended "enabled" and [BGS] disabled. Which usually was AUTO behaviour. I miss the possibility to be able to tune myself.
Other board vendors I reckon gives this possibility to set these manually.
There are linked memory settings like interleaving/hash/bank-swap etc correlating but they aren't as significant but can help in memory OC if pushing the limits.

"IBS enabled" set to disabled on another board brand had SIGNIFICANT bandwidth/performance gains for memory. Basically performance was poor with it AUTO/as manufacturer wanted.
Manual tuning for "disable" gained significant performance on a X470/Ryzen 7 1700 system I have.

These are just preferences for a enthusiast to be able to use/tweak. Most these could be found under AMD_CBS for older AGESA before the Ryzen 3000 launch.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME, Ryzen 7 3800X 4.45Ghz, 4266/1900 MEM/FCLK, 16.26.19.48.76.tRFC 650 1T 1.58V
4x8Gb Kingston HX434C19FB2K2/16 3466C19 1.2V (Micron E-die 16nm)
OLD: Biostar x470GT8 Ryzen 7 1700 @ ~4.0Ghz CPU, 3200Mhz RAM ...
post #1006 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Born-again Tweaker

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by GBT-MatthewH View Post
1. Anything found under "AMD" CBS or "AMD" Overclocking are not adjustable by AIB's. We can only hide/show settings. We cannot rename them, edit them, etc.
@GBT-MatthewH Can you comment on the DDR timings under "AMD Overclocking" being hexadecimal all of a sudden? Is this a BIOS issue or AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB issue? This is on an Elite and started with one of the recent beta BIOS versions.
post #1007 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 273 (Unique: 192)
Quote: Originally Posted by Spectre73 View Post
So I had my first go with my Aorus Master today. I am coming from an x370 Taichi, so there are a few things to relearn.

1) As others have posted, it is very confusing that you sometimes have 2 or more places for the same setting. It is not really THAT bad, but you never know, which setting sticks and which setting does not, if you only change it in one place.

2) Second, the SOC setting is a little confusing. Do I need to change it along with the SOC overclocking setting in the same menu? Because it is stated there. What is the intention of this "SOC overclock enable" setting (don't remember the precise name)?

3) Under my old taichi, I could select XMP settings and modify timings etc. with that as a starting point. It seems, under Gigabyte BIOS, it is either XMP or manual, is this correct?

I would really appreciate a clean up. I know that the CBS menu can not really be influenced by GB, but at least hide the settings that can be changed in another menu and make sure, a changed setting in this other menu also applies to the (then hidden) AMD CBS setting.
ASRock does the same thing with multiple locations to get to the same setting. Buildzoid complains regarding the X370 Taichi BIOS and memory overclocking are a direct result of him doing everything via CBS sub menu's. Rather than ASRock's version of Tweaker menu.

I never had any issue that Builzoid had with my X370 Professional Gaming (same as the Taichi but with 5 GbE NIC, Power Reset and CLR CMOS button). Loading XMP and then overriding settings works the same on both my boards.

XMP profile (programmed from the DDR maker) can set SoC at rather high settings [1.20 volts or higher] so double check that. Manual tweaking memory will result in better performance than XMP. Results will vary on workload and IC quality.

I put together my experience with memory overclocking Master in another thread. Should work for non-Master X570 AORUS board as well.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master Overclocking Thread
https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-a...ng-thread.html

Overclocking History (Click to show)
Intel 386DX/16 @ 20 MHz
CX486SLC/50 @ 50 MHz
AM486DX2/80 @ 100 MHz
AM486 DX4-100 @ 120 MHz
AK5x86-P75 [email protected] 160 MHz
Pentium 90 @ 120 Mhz
IBM 6x86L P166+ [email protected] 160 MHz
Celeron 300a @ 454 MHz
Pentium 3 700 @ 933 MHz
Athlon XP 1400+ @ 1600 MHz
Athlon XP 1800+ @ 2088 MHz
Athlon XP 2500+ @ 2200 MHz
Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2603 MHz
Athlon X2 BE2300 @ 1900 MHz
Athlon X2 4200+ @ 2210 MHz
Athlon X2 5000+ @ 2600 MHz
Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 3000 MHz
Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3600 MHz
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4000 MHz
Xeon C2Q L5408 @ 3200 MHz
Xeon C2Q X5450 @ 3300 MHz
Xeon C2Q E5440 @ 3400 MHz
Xeon C2Q E5450 @ 3600 MHz
Phenom2 X4 B50 @ 3700 MHz
Phenom2 X6 1045T @ 4050 MHz
Core i5-2500K Sandy @ 4500 MHz
X5650 6-Core Westmere @ 3982 MHz
AMD FX 8320E Black Edition

FX-8320E @4.5GHz, X5650 @ 4.0GHz, X6 1045T @4.0GHz, i7 [email protected]
Thinkpad T420p with i7-2720QM overclocked because this is OCN
post #1008 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Used DRAM calculator to get some specific timings and voltages and managed to actually boot into Windows at 3600MHz, woo!

Unfortunately it's not stable at all. Attempting to run Memtest (or Membench in DRAM calculator) causes my PC to reboot itself. I also tried lowering it to 3533, 3466 and 3400 without changing the timings or voltage then tested each with the same results: PC reboots.

It really doesn't seem like it should be this hard to get my RAM to run at it's rated speed.

CPU: Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: Aorus X570 Elite | RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600C16
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 | SSD: 1 TB Aorus Gen4 M.2 | SSHD: 1TB Hybrid (8GB Cache)
PSU: Corsair RM850x
post #1009 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Born-again Tweaker

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadoWillard View Post
Used DRAM calculator to get some specific timings and voltages and managed to actually boot into Windows at 3600MHz, woo!

Unfortunately it's not stable at all. Attempting to run Memtest (or Membench in DRAM calculator) causes my PC to reboot itself. I also tried lowering it to 3533, 3466 and 3400 without changing the timings or voltage then tested each with the same results: PC reboots.

It really doesn't seem like it should be this hard to get my RAM to run at it's rated speed.
Which version are you using? Try 1.5.1, the timings given in 1.6.x are really unstable for me.
post #1010 of 2954 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I was using 1.6.0.3, i'll give 1.5.1 a shot, thanks!

Edit: nope, that didn't work either; it got further along the test but still shut down my PC. At this point, honestly, I think I'm just going to order a different board and sell this thing on ebay (since I can't return it to Newegg). If you look at G.Skill's RAM configurator they actually don't recommend anything over 3200 for the Aorus Elite and I think I know why now.

CPU: Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: Aorus X570 Elite | RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600C16
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 | SSD: 1 TB Aorus Gen4 M.2 | SSHD: 1TB Hybrid (8GB Cache)
PSU: Corsair RM850x

Last edited by ShadoWillard; 08-07-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in