(Gigabyte X570 AORUS Owners Thread) - Page 621 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

(Gigabyte X570 AORUS Owners Thread)

post #6201 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Not so fast... You made the claim, now explain how an unplugged and unpowered component not connected to the system in question (or any PC) is responsible for the noise the system is making. How far away do I need to move it before it will no longer affect the Aorus X570 motherboard? Do I need to put it in the garage in a Faraday cage?
Some people in this thread have observed coil whine coming from the vrm area of the motherboard. My x570 Master also has low volume but high pitched whine if I take the rear side panel off and stick my ear directly over it. Sounds pretty similar to your recording but not noticeable when panels are on and system is running.

I think the issues vary so some boards will have louder whine than others so it's basically up to you how tolerable it is.

x570 Aorus Master, R7 3700X, 16GB G Skill F4-3600C16D-16GVK, Rx Vega 64 Liquid, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo m.2 boot drive, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 Watt Gold, Samsung 860 evo 500GB sata steam ssd, Toshiba DT01ACA300 (3TB x 2), Toshiba HDWE150 5TB (sounds like wood pecker when playing video file it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6202 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
The system already only has the bare minimum necessary to run (CPU, mobo, RAM, graphics card, SSD, HSF, & PSU). It makes the same coil whine noise running non-Windows software from a USB stick without the SSD in the system. It's absolutely coming from the VRM area on the mobo, not the PSU or graphics card. AFAIK there aren't any other components in the system with coils and DC/DC converters. Top or bottom side of the mobo doesn't make any difference to me. It's unacceptably loud. I'm really only trying to figure out if I should exchange it for another one of the same model or something else.
I can tell you from experience it's NOT the norm with the Pro Wifi to have much coil whine noise if any. I can't hear any coil whine with my Pro WiFi and it's loaded to the hilt with add-ons but some folks do. I guess it comes down to how loud is tolerable to you. If you are positive it is from the VRM and it's quite noticeable then RMA it for another.

My Rig!
(20 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro WiFi
GPU
NVidia GTX 1080
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1060
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws 32GB (2 X 16GB) 3600MHz
Hard Drive
Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe GEN4
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD 4TB RED SATA
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H100 RGB Platinum
Case
Lian Li Dynamic 011
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" 4K
Monitor
Dell 24" 1080p
Monitor
Dell 24" 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Spectrum Gaming KB
Mouse
Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse
Audio
Logitech THX Subwoofer System
Other
DCP-L2550DW Printer
Other
Epson Perfection V700 Professional Scanner
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Acertified; 02-14-2020 at 06:22 PM.
post #6203 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 07:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
The system already only has the bare minimum necessary to run (CPU, mobo, RAM, graphics card, SSD, HSF, & PSU). It makes the same coil whine noise running non-Windows software from a USB stick without the SSD in the system. It's absolutely coming from the VRM area on the mobo, not the PSU or graphics card. AFAIK there aren't any other components in the system with coils and DC/DC converters. Top or bottom side of the mobo doesn't make any difference to me. It's unacceptably loud. I'm really only trying to figure out if I should exchange it for another one of the same model or something else.
Coil whine is a perfectly acceptable reason to RMA a board or graphics card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6204 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Acertified View Post
I can tell you from experience it's NOT the norm with the Pro Wifi to have much coil whine noise if any. I can't hear any coil whine with my Pro WiFi and it's loaded to the hilt with add-ons but some folks do. I guess it comes down to how loud is tolerable to you. If you are positive it is from the VRM and it's quite noticeable then RMA it for another.
I have tried 3 different Pro Wifis, and they all had the exact same coil whine that Stereodude is experiencing. I also tried a Aorus Ultra and Aorus Master, and while the Master was a tad bit quieter, it was still very similar to what I've been dealing with all these months. I feel as though something is being overlooked because it'll be such an oddball fix

Shouldn't a pure sinewave UPS solve any power delivery problems what might be present in my apartment?
post #6205 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by kribby View Post
I have tried 3 different Pro Wifis, and they all had the exact same coil whine that Stereodude is experiencing. I also tried a Aorus Ultra and Aorus Master, and while the Master was a tad bit quieter, it was still very similar to what I've been dealing with all these months. I feel as though something is being overlooked because it'll be such an oddball fix
This isn't making me feel better about my odds of getting one that's quieter or even silent... I'm going to try to get back to Microcenter in the morning to exchange it.

Quote:
Shouldn't a pure sinewave UPS solve any power delivery problems what might be present in my apartment?
Yes if it's an online UPS that always does double conversion. However, power delivery problems are generally not what causes coil whine. Certainly not in a motherboard or video card.
post #6206 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Edit - I switched to an Msi Unify and it has the same issue with coil whine from the vrm and noise from the ssd

Here’s a video recording of the coil whine on my X570 master. This is whilst the system is idle, straight after logging into windows, using the ryzen balanced power mode. For the purpose of the video I unplugged all fans (no heavy load on cpu), so you can hear it clearly.

On intel systems we can disable cstates to quieten the noise, yet I’ve tried toggling many options in the aorus X570 bios - to no avail, including cool and quiet, vrm frequency, spread spectrum and c-state.

It seems to resonate throughout the whole board, no matter where I hold the microphone. The recording was done on an iPhone 8 with built in mic and has not been edited / amplified.

When I scroll webpages the noise makes a grinding sound.

I resorted to placing acoustic foam around my hard drives as they are chirping and are making high pitch sounds - which I never knew was possible until I got the aorus master.

Some people claim they may not hear it but if you built your system in a quiet room / with quietness in mind, it can become annoying.

Chipset fan : silent (off)
Hard drives connected : 2 x ssd
Graphics card : fans turned off
Power supply : tried two power supplies, Corsair rm 850 and rm 850x (no difference to the coil whine)

Video - https://streamable.com/8cman

Ryzen 3700x
x570 Gigabyte aorus master
16gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz ddr4 cas 16
Nvidia 2080ti
Corsair rm850
Chord Mojo

Last edited by fluidzoverclock; 02-18-2020 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Typo
post #6207 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 33)
Electrical noise is kinda "normal" these days. It's down to the components and parts interacting with each other causing these issues. You just end up whit combinations that make more noise than others on different boards. You either exchange board or manufacturer to another that doesn't exhibit the issue with your components to other than the ones making noise. It's random lottery. I don't think the manufacturers prioritize this issue in design and Quality Assurance. It's kinda a high task to ask the manufacturers to take this into mind if they accept a solution as "working" as intended or not.

I have a Biostar X470GT8 that is horrible with it. Never seen a board make so much noise. My Gigabyte boards have been silent in comparison. Though in stressed situations even some of these start to make noise.

Basically, the more power the more noise usually. Same with graphics cards. Some make no noise others make lots of noise. I've usually been okay with those but I found my new Vega 64 has been much noisier than any other I've had in the past. But it's also the most power hungry card I've owned.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME, Ryzen 7 3800X 4.4Ghz, 4266/1900 MEM/FCLK, 16.26.19.45.76.tRFC 650 1T 1.600V
4x8Gb Kingston HX434C19FB2K2/16 3466C19 1.2V (Micron E-die 16nm)
OLD: Biostar x470GT8 Ryzen 7 1700 @ ~4.0Ghz CPU, 3200Mhz RAM ...
post #6208 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

No coil wine with my 2 PRO atx non wifi models. Both with Corsair hxi 750 psu if that plays any role.

CPU
Ryzen 3600
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Pro
GPU
Nvidia GT710 Pci X1
RAM
Trident Z DDR4-3200MHz CL14-14-14-34 1.35V 64GB (4x16GB)
Hard Drive
HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 4TB 7200 RPM 512n SAS 6Gb/s 3.5-Inch 64MB HDD Enterprise Hard Drive HUS724040ALS640
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2 2280
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i High-Performance ATX Power Supply — 750 Watt 80 Plus® PLATINUM Certified PSU
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15 chromax black
Cooling
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Cooling
NOCTUA NF-A8 FLX FAN 80MM
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 740
Operating System
VMware ESXi 6.7 Update 3
Other
Asus HYPER M.2 X16 CARD V2
Other
HPE Smart Array P440/4GB FBWC 12Gb 1-port Int SAS Controller
▲ hide details ▲
post #6209 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
well i have started it but i do not have time to finish it as i have to go out with the wife to a wedding party, booo

I moved the NVME gigabyte HS plate from the top to the middle since it had some nice text on there and you can now see it as the CPU HS covered it and also did the GFX card, I still put the Mp510 NVME in the top slot but when the GFX is in you can still see the text just.

I noticed the nut came with the screw when i removed the HS plate so i had to get some pliers to remove it from the screw and then replaced it

lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kit.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	326832  

Click image for larger version

Name:	psu.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	326834  

Last edited by meridius; 02-15-2020 at 10:57 AM.
post #6210 of 6372 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 11:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by bluechris View Post
No coil wine with my 2 PRO atx non wifi models. Both with Corsair hxi 750 psu if that plays any role.
I also have NO coil whine and I am also using a Corsair HXI series Power Supply.

My Rig!
(20 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro WiFi
GPU
NVidia GTX 1080
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1060
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws 32GB (2 X 16GB) 3600MHz
Hard Drive
Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe GEN4
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD 4TB RED SATA
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H100 RGB Platinum
Case
Lian Li Dynamic 011
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" 4K
Monitor
Dell 24" 1080p
Monitor
Dell 24" 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Spectrum Gaming KB
Mouse
Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse
Audio
Logitech THX Subwoofer System
Other
DCP-L2550DW Printer
Other
Epson Perfection V700 Professional Scanner
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in