ASUS TUF GAMING X570 PLUS - Page 39 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS TUF GAMING X570 PLUS

post #381 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 08:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by concretefire View Post
Yes I can use Veracrypt / whatever 3rd party encryption for my regular old school hard drives. Understood. Thanks

I concur with your non-paranoia. It's just more safe to disable crap you don't need. 100% agree.

More questions:
1) Where do we find this TMSE setting and how do we activate it? (or even test to see if it's working? A simple speed test?)

2) I get it, the encryption of the ram but --- I mean, c'mon.....unless you're Escobar or Billy The Kid, etc... 99% of people have no reason to enable this feature --- Unless they fear immediate seizure of their machines while still powered. No? Yes? Close?

3) If you could take a look at my recent post about SOC V on this bios release and answer those questions I'll be all caught up. REALLY Appreciate you!!

Yes, it us under Advanced / CBS. Run a latency benchmark with AIDA64 before and after enabling TSMC, this will verify for you. I can verify it worked for me. It depends on your threat profile, and you may be the target if you are going after those criminal types as well, and I have a tendency to piss off TPTW. Rowhammer/Rambleed can be exploited directly in javascript in a browser. Its trivial.

As regard to the Telemetry settings, you'd best search around, I saw some good sources on reddit lately: 1, 2

Update after clearing CMOS a number of times (even though I had done that previously) the PXE problem seems to have disappeared. I had some latency issues clear up as well. It was way high up around 95 NS, up from around 70. At the time, with TSMC disabled, it would drop to about 81 NS. Now after clearing CMOS, its around 72-73 NS with TSMC enabled.

Last edited by tyezh; 07-09-2020 at 03:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 08:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by tyezh View Post
It depends on your threat profile, and you may be the target if you are going after those criminal types as well, and I have a tendency to piss off TPTW. Rowhammer/Rambleed can be exploited directly in javascript in a browser. Its trivial.

As regard to the Telemetry settings, as far as I understand it allows users to adjust the reported voltages so they reflect a more accurate voltage in monitoring software; I've heard others claim it can increase power usage though I'm not sure.
I understand the sentiment > don't understand what TPTW means. Lol. The exploit stuff you mention I can look up. Understood....

Anybody else wanna weigh in on this telemetry thing and if the picture I posted can be translated into English as to what, if anything, I should do about it?? Thanks. Ya'll the best.

post #383 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 08:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by concretefire View Post
I understand the sentiment > don't understand what TPTW means. Lol. The exploit stuff you mention I can look up. Understood....

Anybody else wanna weigh in on this telemetry thing and if the picture I posted can be translated into English as to what, if anything, I should do about it?? Thanks. Ya'll the best.

re-read my previous comment, updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #384 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 11:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

re-read my previous comment, updated
I still want to know what TPTW means... you got me curious. Thanks for the telemetry links.

post #385 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 11:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

A play on the acronym TPTB. This reddit post has some valuable information about this bios update you wont find mentioned for TUF Gaming x570

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...new_bios_2407/

Quote:
Asus x570-e NEW BIOS 2407

So ASUS is gone crazy updating this bios on daily basis now
Download @ https://www.asus.com.cn/Motherboards...HelpDesk_BIOS/

Changelog:
- Improved system performance and compatibility
-Improved DRAM compatibility
-Update AM4 combo V2 PI 1.0.0.2"

What is not been told:
- BCLK clock can now be changed in 0.0625MHz steps.
- New option in the AiTweaker "CPU and SOC Current Telemetry". (This should address somehow the Power Reporting Deviation in HWInfo but i have no idea which values to enter)
- The "CPPC Preferred Cores" and "TSME" options are now enabled in the CBS.
(source: User Reous from forum hardwareluxx.de/
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/communit...#post-27568196 )
Ryzen Master:
VDDCR SOC voltage is now correctly reported instead of 1.363 (while HWInfo is always at 1.087)
I compiled a list of advanced BIOS options, often overlooked and lacking information, for your edification, via
https://developer.amd.com/wp-content...56745_0.80.pdf

Transparent Secure Memory Encryption (TSME)
Benefit: TSME provides hardware memory encryption of all data stored on system DIMMs. This encryption is invisible to the OS. The impact of this encryption is 5 ns–7 ns of additional memory latency.

Setting Options TSME
•Auto/Disabled: Disable transparent secure memory encryption
•Enabled: Enable transparent secure memory encryption

ACPI—Collaborative Processor Performance Control (CPCC)

Benefit: CPCC was introduced with ACPI 5.0 as a mode to communicate performance between an operating system and the hardware. This mode can be used to allow the OS to control when and how much turbo can be applied in an effort to maintain energy efficiency. Not all operating systems support CPCC, but Microsoft began support with Windows® 2016

CPCC
•Disabled: Disabled
•Enabled: Allow OS to make performance/power optimization requests using ACPI CPPC

SR-IOV Settings Benefit: SR-IOV requires the enablement of PCIe® Alternative Routing-ID interpretation (ARI) on both root complexes and endpoints. ARI devices interpret the PCI address as an 8-bit function number instead of a 3-bit function number and the device number is implied to be 0.

Setting Options PCIe ARI Support [SRIOV]
•Disable: Disable Alternative Routing ID interpretation
•Enable: Enable Alternative Routing ID interpretation

2.5.3 PCIe Ten Bit Tag Benefit:

With PCIe Gen 4, to achieve full bandwidth, an adapter should support 10-bit extended tags. This allows for a 3x increase over the previous number of non-posted requests, allowing the adapter to achieve more performance. Not all PCIe Gen 4 devices support 10-bit extended tags and can cause issues during boot. Disabling this feature will allow the server to boot if the adapter is having issues.

Setting Options PCIe Ten Bit Tag Support
•Disable: Disable PCIe 10-bit tags for all devices
•Enable: Enable PCIe 10-bit tags for supported devices
•Auto: Disabled

2.5.5 Input-Output Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) Settings
Benefit: The IOMMU provides several benefits and is required when using x2APIC. Enabling the IOMMU allows devices (such as the EPYC integrated SATA controller) to present separate IRQs for each attached device instead of one IRQ for the subsystem. The IOMMU also allows operating systems to provide additional protection for DMA capable I/O devices. If the IOMMU is believed to be causing a performance problem, leave it enabled in BIOS and disable it via OS options (e.g., iommu=pt on the Linux®kernel command line).

SettingOptionsIOMMU
•Disabled: Disable IOMMU
•Enabled: Enable IOMMU

Last edited by tyezh; 07-09-2020 at 03:02 AM.
post #386 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

This reddit post has some valuable information about this bios update you wont find mentioned for TUF Gaming x570

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...new_bios_2407/

I compiled a list of advanced BIOS options, often overlooked and lacking information, for your edification, via
https://developer.amd.com/wp-content...56745_0.80.pdf

Transparent Secure Memory Encryption (TSME)
Benefit: TSME provides hardware memory encryption of all data stored on system DIMMs. This encryption is invisible to the OS. The impact of this encryption is 5 ns–7 ns of additional memory latency.

Setting Options TSME
•Auto/Disabled: Disable transparent secure memory encryption
•Enabled: Enable transparent secure memory encryption

ACPI—Collaborative Processor Performance Control (CPCC)

Benefit: CPCC was introduced with ACPI 5.0 as a mode to communicate performance between an operating system and the hardware. This mode can be used to allow the OS to control when and how much turbo can be applied in an effort to maintain energy efficiency. Not all operating systems support CPCC, but Microsoft began support with Windows® 2016

CPCC
•Disabled: Disabled
•Enabled: Allow OS to make performance/power optimization requests using ACPI CPPC

SR-IOV Settings Benefit: SR-IOV requires the enablement of PCIe® Alternative Routing-ID interpretation (ARI) on both root complexes and endpoints. ARI devices interpret the PCI address as an 8-bit function number instead of a 3-bit function number and the device number is implied to be 0.

Setting Options PCIe ARI Support [SRIOV]
•Disable: Disable Alternative Routing ID interpretation
•Enable: Enable Alternative Routing ID interpretation

2.5.3 PCIe Ten Bit Tag Benefit:

With PCIe Gen 4, to achieve full bandwidth, an adapter should support 10-bit extended tags. This allows for a 3x increase over the previous number of non-posted requests, allowing the adapter to achieve more performance. Not all PCIe Gen 4 devices support 10-bit extended tags and can cause issues during boot. Disabling this feature will allow the server to boot if the adapter is having issues.

Setting Options PCIe Ten Bit Tag Support
•Disable: Disable PCIe 10-bit tags for all devices
•Enable: Enable PCIe 10-bit tags for supported devices
•Auto: Disabled

2.5.5 Input-Output Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) Settings
Benefit: The IOMMU provides several benefits and is required when using x2APIC. Enabling the IOMMU allows devices (such as the EPYC integrated SATA controller) to present separate IRQs for each attached device instead of one IRQ for the subsystem. The IOMMU also allows operating systems to provide additional protection for DMA capable I/O devices. If the IOMMU is believed to be causing a performance problem, leave it enabled in BIOS and disable it via OS options (e.g., iommu=pt on the Linux®kernel command line).

SettingOptionsIOMMU
•Disabled: Disable IOMMU
•Enabled: Enable IOMMU
Nice Find. Quick Question = Do you know of other forms like this one where perhaps more info on this mobo is posted daily. It's a little slow here to be honest. (My very humble opinion and I know it's heavily a beauty contest on boards. More popular boards get the most love. I get it. This one doesn't seem to get much love here)

post #387 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

win-raid is an amazing resource, i suggest you check that out for cutting edge information on all these platforms, and bios modding/requests as well. Here is a great example: https://www.win-raid.com/t6152f16-Ad...ASUS-bios.html

Techpowerup forums are probably in the top 3 best in the world also, if you are seeking professional information and answers immediately, ask there. The more you ask the more info will come available to the public.

as for this particular board, its patchy and sporratic all over the web, overclock is probably the #1 resource, and will surely improve over time. Most of the mods we see people talking about on here are back in the b450 era and earlier and this particular budget board, although a truly amazing board, is not all that popular.

Last edited by tyezh; 07-09-2020 at 02:32 AM.
post #388 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

I will share some info here for people experiencing problems enabling Core Isolation and experiencing BSOD's... a problem I recently rectified. This will show up in the search engines. Ryzen, x570, and earlier models.

Fixing Device Guard VBS BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Blue screen at boot when enabling both HVCI and CPPC on a Ryzen system, with CSM disabled. Disabling CPPC fixes this problem.

Details: [1], [2]

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED crash dump analysis:

Code:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e)
SYMBOL_NAME: amdppm!WriteIoMemRawEx+70
MODULE_NAME: amdppm
IMAGE_NAME: amdppm.sys
IMAGE_VERSION: 10.0.19041.208
STACK_COMMAND: .cxr 0xffffb087a33cc730 ; kb
BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET: 70
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: AV_amdppm!WriteIoMemRawEx
OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64
OSNAME: Windows 10
FAILURE_ID_HASH: {b967e674-8d22-35dd-426e-01888346a4a7}
Followup: MachineOwner
I believe this is a security feature, rather than a bug. CPPC "Allows OS to make performance/power optimization requests using ACPI CPPC", this hands control from the UEFI/chipset to the O/S, if CPPC initializes upon boot in tandem with strict enforcement measures of SecureBoot + CSM disabled, amdppm.sys attempts to to write or read to memory areas of the BIOS restricted by the hypervisor or UEFI, triggering the crash. Enabling CSM allows one to use SecureBoot, HVCI, IMMOU, VBS, and CI-config, by relaxing UEFI/hypervisor security restrictions. This allows greater compatibility at the expense of some security.

The NSA, in response to 2017's "AMD Flaws" has suggested such features could lead to compromise, which is why they only recommend in their best practices that their employees use AMD based products without overclocking features, Aurora Sync etc, but despite their claims, as of 2020 and with the x570 platform patched and secured we are safe, and with the right tweaking, you should be as good as gold. 2017: nsacyber/Hardware-and-Firmware-Security-Guidance

To mitigate AMD Flaws, purchase business-class machines that lack or limit enthusiast features such as overclocking, fan control, custom thermal management, RGB lighting, and firmware modding support. Also ensure that all firmware, microcode, and software updates are applied. Carefully analyze software before using it in conjunction with the AMD Secure Processor (SP) or Platform Security Processor (PSP) protected enclaves.

Ed note: Well I suspect with recent updates to windows and AMD platforms, particularly x570 onward, and their ditching of ASmedia USB host controllers [see chimera], most of, if not all of this is irrelevant as of the time of this writing, and hinges on your OEM board manufacturer and their bios options, and your configuration.

Last edited by tyezh; 07-09-2020 at 03:12 AM.
post #389 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 08:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Anyone else seeing any ram problems with 2407 bios? I have been running my Samsung bdie gskill ripjaws 3600 cl 16 at 15 15 15 36 for months but when I updated to 2407 now it gets stuck on boot with the ram light on even when I'm just using the xmp setting. Setting the voltage to 1.40 seems to solve it and the memory passes memtest and windows memory diagnostic. Should I report it to Asus?
post #390 of 436 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 09:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
If you are trying to load from an old profile you will need to re-do everything from scratch. Profiles from older BIOS will not work with new BIOS... it sucks, but it is what it is

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X||Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
MB: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS||RAM: 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3600MHz (16-16-16-32-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932||PSU: Corsair AX860i
GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W RMS)
System Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB||Scratch Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
The MONSTER HTPC v2
(24 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost)
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS
GPU
Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) (16-16-16-36)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA II 64 MB Cache
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA II 64 MB Cache
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB SATA II 64 MB Cache
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB SATA II 32 MB Cache
Hard Drive
Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
Hard Drive
SK Hynix Canvas SC311 256 GB
Optical Drive
LG Black Blu-ray Burner SATA WH14NS40
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Cooling
Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Viewsonic VA2012wb
Keyboard
Logitech G815 LIGHTSYNC RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard With Tactile Switch
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Mousepad
Steelseries 4hd
Audio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Other
Logitech z-5300e
Other
55” LG C8 OLED
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in