AnandTech Overview - 09JUL19

bit-tech - 16SEP19

AnandTech - 25OCT19

TheOverClocker - 06NOV19

TechPowerUp - 03DEC19

Dark Hero

TechPowerUp - 06NOV20

Guides, Testing, & Utilities

Ryzen 3000 Memory / Fabric (X370/X470/X570) (Formula Testing)

ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO Testing On Ubuntu 18.04 Linux

Testing 3rd-Gen Ryzen DDR4 Memory Performance and Scaling

VRM on the new AM4 motherboards (All motherboards listed)

Something GIGABYTE, MSI and AMD do not want you to see

[Official] AMD Ryzen DDR4 24/7 Memory Stability Thread

Strictly technical: Matisse (Not really) (Formula Testing)

AMD Ryzen Memory Tweaking & Overclocking Guide

ROG Crosshair VIII (Formula & Hero) LN2 OC Guide

How to use USB BIOS Flashback & BIOSRenamer

AMD Ryzen 3000 – Part IV – DDR4 Scaling

AMD Ryzen 3000 investigated

DRAM Calculator for Ryzen

DDR4 Overclocking Guide

AMD CPU Stock Tracker

Karhu RAM Test

HWiNFO Utility

Ryzen Master

Prime95

Miscellaneous

Is your Bus Clock/Speed/FSB ~99.8 MHz? Disable SB Clock Spread Spectrum under Extreme Tweaker\Tweaker's Paradise and set BCLK to Auto.

Looking for Mem TweakIt v2.02.44 and/or TurboV Core v1.02.02?

Are you in to gaming and like memory performance? Check these out.

Warning! Check spoiler for new motherboard owners or fresh Windows installs:
If you installed Windows with the original BIOS without updating first, Windows files could get corrupted due to Windows Hardware Errors (WHEA). Please update your BIOS, if you haven't already. To check for errors, run the following commands in a command prompt as an administrator:

sfc /scannow

If corruption is found, run the following command:

dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Rerun the sfc /scannow command

Please make sure your BIOS is up to date before installing Windows. :thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
Ooooh I can't wait until I have something useful to contribute to this thread.

#5 ·
I'm looking forward to it. It'll be nice when the thread picks up and owners have a place to share overclocks, thoughts, and ideas.

Thank you. First post updated. +Rep

So far so good with the formula and 3900X. The 0702 BIOS version is stable and boost clocks seem to be working correctly (based on HWINFO64). I've had luck running B-Die at tight timings with lower voltage (3400CL14 1.375V) or higher frequencies (up to 3600/CL16 so far). Far more stable of a first day than the C6H was.

The chipset fan is inaudible, though I do wish they had found a way to tie it into the VRM water loop. The integrated M.2 heatsink is a nice touch.

There is no utility for the Livedash yet but the default functionality is useful - POST codes at boot and CPU temp after boot. There is also no mention of it in the manual.

It took some trial and error to identify which USB ports were functional at POST.

I wish there were a few more extras in the box for such a premium price point. The antenna is not magnetic like older Asus boards. The included documentation, stickers, etc were all warped like they were in a high moisture environment and the protective plastic seemed dirty.

I played with the automatic overclocking in the Asus utility and it didn't really seem to work. It picked 4.15GHz for all cores as well as 1 core. I don't think the single core modes are functional yet (the manual interface didn't give any control either).

I appreciate your input. It'll be nice to see what you can get out of it. Are you watercooling? How are the VRM temps under full load?

#4 ·
So far so good with the formula and 3900X. The 0702 BIOS version is stable and boost clocks seem to be working correctly (based on HWINFO64). I've had luck running B-Die at tight timings with lower voltage (3400CL14 1.375V) or higher frequencies (up to 3600/CL16 so far). Far more stable of a first day than the C6H was.

The chipset fan is inaudible, though I do wish they had found a way to tie it into the VRM water loop. The integrated M.2 heatsink is a nice touch.

There is no utility for the Livedash yet but the default functionality is useful - POST codes at boot and CPU temp after boot. There is also no mention of it in the manual.

It took some trial and error to identify which USB ports were functional at POST.

I wish there were a few more extras in the box for such a premium price point. The antenna is not magnetic like older Asus boards. The included documentation, stickers, etc were all warped like they were in a high moisture environment and the protective plastic seemed dirty.

I played with the automatic overclocking in the Asus utility and it didn't really seem to work. It picked 4.15GHz for all cores as well as 1 core. I don't think the single core modes are functional yet (the manual interface didn't give any control either).

#6 ·
Please a picture when the system is running :)

#8 ·
I was able to secure a Non-Wifi Hero from Amazon before they went out of stock. Ready for Round 3!

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
#20 · (Edited)

Thank you! I hope someone will get use out of this guide. +Rep

Just ordered my Crosshair VIII Formula and 3900x today, should be here Thursday.
First AMD build in over a decade, last was a 939 build...lol

Welcome! We'll be looking forward to your contributions.

No one interested in the ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE?

It basically has the same VRM as the Crosshair's but at much less cost. It felt much more interesting than the consumer stuff without the bling. I hope it's not completely neutered in BIOS department. (made a purchase and waiting for delivery)

This would be the wrong thread for the ACE, but your welcome to share your experiences here. ;)

0702 has been available since the 5th. Is this a newer or modded version?

#16 ·
No one interested in the ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE?

It basically has the same VRM as the Crosshair's but at much less cost. It felt much more interesting than the consumer stuff without the bling. I hope it's not completely neutered in BIOS department. (made a purchase and waiting for delivery)

#22 ·
#29 ·
Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to some build pictures. :)

On opening day I grabbed a 3900x and ASUS C8H. Glad to be joining you guys.

Thank you very much for the awesome pictures! It'll be nice to hear your experiences.

Waiting for my new CH8 and 3700X to arrive; it may take a few weeks unfortunately due to very limited stock here in Spain.

For those of you still waiting or with the new hardware already, just remember to keep HWInfo up to date. Latest beta as of time of writing this is v6.09.3850 with the following changelog:

• Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII series.
  • Added monitoring of AMD X570 chipset temperature.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS PRIME X570 and TUF X570 series.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE.
  • Added NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, 2070 SUPER and 2080 SUPER.
  • Added monitoring of Infineon XDPE10281 on GPU (Galax RTX 2080 Ti HOF).
Cheers, guys!

Thank you for updating us! Welcome and +Rep. :thumb:

#26 ·
On opening day I grabbed a 3900x and ASUS C8H. Glad to be joining you guys.

Attachments

#28 ·
Waiting for my new CH8 and 3700X to arrive; it may take a few weeks unfortunately due to very limited stock here in Spain.

For those of you still waiting or with the new hardware already, just remember to keep HWInfo up to date. Latest beta as of time of writing this is v6.09.3850 with the following changelog:

• Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII series.
  • Added monitoring of AMD X570 chipset temperature.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS PRIME X570 and TUF X570 series.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE.
  • Added NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, 2070 SUPER and 2080 SUPER.
  • Added monitoring of Infineon XDPE10281 on GPU (Galax RTX 2080 Ti HOF).
Cheers, guys!

• Rep+
Reactions: MacG32
#31 ·
#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
#33 ·
What's the deal with Ryzen 9 not officially being supported on Asus X570 boards? That blows my mind.

I mean, it's most likely a typo, but I saw someone post on a reddit trying to get support from Asus on a Ryzen 9, and support was denied due to compatibility.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero/HelpDesk_CPU/

We're not here for shock and awe or Reddit garbage. Ryzen 9 is supported. Depending on the level of support and which channel the user tried determines the actual support. When you politely ask to be directed to a supervisor or manager, normally they are tech savvy enough to understand what processors the BIOS actually supports. Since these are newly released boards, the website links don't fully list anything correctly yet. You can see that from the direct links in the first post. Some information and links are even missing. They'll be updated, eventually...

#35 · (Edited)
#38 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just come across a post on Reddit by Robert Hallock speaking about safe voltages and AMD Power Plan for Windows making a comeback exclusively for Ryzen 3000 series. I think it will be useful:

No, the 3900X is not being overvolted. The onboard firmware in the CPU controls that, not the power plan. What the power plans do change, however, is whether or not the CPU downclocks at idle or jumps straight to power-gated sleep (cc6 power state).
The out-of-box plans set a min CPU clock of 10%, so the CPU will downclock before going to sleep. Voltage will follow.
Our plans set a min CPU clock of 90%, and then instruct the core to go straight to sleep if not in use. Windows is unable to probe the behavior of the core when it's sleeping, so voltage will not appear to follow.
I highly recommend watching the real behavior of the core(s) in Ryzen Master. It presents sleep and voltage information that no other tool on the planet can show you.
//EDIT: For example, here's a Ryzen 5 3600 with cores running into the 300MHz range. Voltage is sub-1V. And here's a Ryzen 9 3950X (hue hue hue) with all but 2 cores totally asleep. No other tool would be able to show you this level of detail.
//EDIT #2: Because I have not seen it anywhere, the Ryzen Balanced plans have made a comeback specifically and only for 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs as of chipset driver 1.07.07. These plans optimize the behavior of CPPC2 to get the 1-2ms clock selection we discussed with the media. Any other Ryzen user doesn't need a plan anymore.
//EDIT #3 (7/10/2019 @ 13:49 UTC): One other point I forget to mention about idle cores (as I know people will be checking on this comment for months to come) is the reporting role our onboard firmware plays in what tools read out. Presently, the behavior of the firmware is to report the voltage the cores are prepared to jump to if the processor exits idle and goes to boost. A boost voltage of 1.4-1.5V is consistent with what we've previously discussed for other Ryzen parts, so that aligns with what y'all are seeing with the idle chip. Behind the scenes, the processor is self-modulating to much lower voltages as you would expect an idle CPU to do. The firmware is not reporting the current voltage of the core until the core is awake and loaded, which is why the voltage appears to go down under load. This further extends the commentary that what you're seeing from Windows and tools is not always what's really going on.

Link to source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbbfce/3900x_being_overvolted_on_amd_ryzen_power_plans/etefuer/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

• Rep+
Reactions: MacG32
#39 ·
Just come across a post on Reddit by Robert Hallock speaking about safe voltages and AMD Power Plan for Windows making a comeback exclusively for Ryzen 3000 series. I think it will be useful:

Link to source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...ns/etefuer/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

That information is very similar to what was being said around the time of previous Ryzen launches. Not all utilities are created equally. Since Ryzen Master is from AMD, it will report a little bit differently than say HWiNFO. This is my guess. Previous Ryzen users seem to already understand what's been explained in this post, but it's very good for the new users. Thank you for posting it! +Rep

#40 ·
Looky what came in today! :drool:

Attachments

• Rep+
Reactions: pantsoftime
#45 ·
Congrats!! I'm jealous, haha. I've taken a screenshot of part of manual FYI. This is the optimal config for dual channel memory.

Memory Configuration for Optimal Performance in Dual Channel Mode: DIMM Slots A2 and B2. Not A1 and B1.

Attachments

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
I want to understand something, why is necessary this mother when is not possible to make any oc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's not a lot of headroom to overclock, but it is possible. Once reviews start showing up, you'll be able to see what kind of overclocks people are getting. Why buy a sports car when the speed limit is 65? 🤔 The Hero is labeled as a Gaming Motherboard, but you can also overclock the processor and memory. Silicon Lottery will have processors up for sale with specific overclocks. You can check there on or after the 17th to see what kind of overclocks the 3000 series has. :thumb:

#49 ·
Did anyone try the BCLK oc yet like we did on x370 and x470 motherboard? Why reviewers even bother with manual OC? It's since gen 2 zen that it's not worth anymore

#55 ·
You sure can. :yessir: Welcome!

• Rep+
Reactions: usoldier