Aorus X570 Elite and 5v aRGB daisy chaining question - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Aorus X570 Elite and 5v aRGB daisy chaining question

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Aorus X570 Elite and 5v aRGB daisy chaining question

So I'm still waiting on some parts to come in so i can't power on and fully test, but before i even connect things i've been trying to work out the math so i can be totally sure and not fry anything.I have a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite motherboard which has 2 5v aRGB headers and a kit of some Swiftech watercooling gear and fans.

Thats 6x of the Helix 120 Iris fans which have 18 LEDs each. Each fan also has a daisy-chain connector for the RGB to connect to another fan, and the PWM connector is separate. So my issue is regarding just the LEDs since i can figure that out separately. The waterblock included with their Boreas kit also has 6 RGB LEDs as well, and so does the pump/res combo unit. So i'm looking at about 120 LEDs total.

Their kit includes a controller hub powered by a SATA power connector where all the fans and RGB connectors can connect to, but to change the colors i would have to open the case to reach in and push the button on this controller. No motherboard control. So i ordered their MB Link adapter that lets you connect their RGB connectors to the motherboard for software control. Well that adapter only has 3 RGB headers. But wait, each fan has a daisy chain connector for the RGB, so i can just keep connecting things via those since the MB link adapter doesn't have enough connections. I know they do this to keep you from connecting too many things and frying your stuff, so they don't recommend daisy chaining. I get it. They can't assume everyone has a header that can push alot of power safely.

So with that said, the motherboard's header according to the manual states that it can push 5 amps (it also says 1000 LEDs but gigabyte support eventually told me to ignore that number, and that its all about not exceeding the amp rating of the header). Asking Swiftech how much power the LEDs on their fans use, they didn't really have an answer. So i asked them the model of LED they use so i can research it myself and they told me they believe they are ws2812 leds which use a max current of 20 mA which equals 0.02 Amps.

So it should be simple right? 5 amps max output from header is available. Swiftech Iris MB link gives me 3 connectors. I connect 3 fans (just the RGB) that each fan has an additional fan connected to it, then lastly the waterblock that has 6 LEDs to that second set of fans, and also the resevoir that has 6 LEDs to that second set of fans.

That is

6 Fans at 18 LEDs each, totaling .36 Amp draw per fan totaling 2.16 Amps across all fans

1 waterblock at 6 LEDs totaling .12 Amps

1 pump/res at 6 LEDs (RGB connector separate) totaling .12 Amps

Resulting in total amp draw of everything daisy chained then connected to a single header of: 2.4 Amps

is that right? is it that simple or am i missing anything? Do i need to worry about voltage drop or anything like that? Am i at any risk? Thanks and sorry for the long post, trying to include as much detail as possible.

links in case you guys wanted to crosscheck anything:

WS2812 LEDs: https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812.pdf

Swiftech Boreas kit: http://www.swiftech.com/boreas.aspx

Swiftech Iris MB Link: http://www.swiftech.com/iris-mblink.aspx

Iris Eco V2 controller (included with the Boreas kit): http://www.swiftech.com/iris-eco.aspx

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:43 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Are you running push+pull on the slim radiator included with the Boreas kit? If so, why? There's not much gain since it's a low FPI radiator and low thickness (27mm).
You could probably just run 3 fans on the radiator. That's likely the reason Swiftech didn't put so many fan connections on that control box.

Shouldn't need to worry about anything plugged into the Iris Eco V2 controller, it is pulling power from the SATA power connector.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Are you running push+pull on the slim radiator included with the Boreas kit? If so, why? There's not much gain since it's a low FPI radiator and low thickness (27mm).
You could probably just run 3 fans on the radiator. That's likely the reason Swiftech didn't put so many fan connections on that control box.

Shouldn't need to worry about anything plugged into the Iris Eco V2 controller, it is pulling power from the SATA power connector.
No, just filling out the rest of the case with a matching set of fans. I would just like to be able to control all the LEDs for the setup im doing from the motherboard, instead of having to reach in to change the colors by pushing the button on the Eco v2 controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
You should be fine as long as you don't exceed the amperage rating of the header though if you mean the RGB header.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
You should be fine as long as you don't exceed the amperage rating of the header though if you mean the RGB header.
Yeah the header. Its rated for 5 Amps and my calculations above show that all the LEDs shouldn't pull more than 2.4 amps. Im just wondering if there is anything else is should be worried about, or if thats all there is to it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

An additional worry just came up. Turning all the LEDs to white might make all the LED colors light up which would use more power i'm told. The PDF above states the max current each color uses is 20mA, and if 3 colors need to be turned on to make white then that means each single LED would peak at 60mA each right? and if all 120 LEDs were set to white, does that mean the peak current would become 7.2 Amps?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in