Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite vs Ultra - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite vs Ultra

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 69)
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite vs Ultra

So Microcenter by me just got more AMD Ryzen cpus and motherboards in stock so I want to reserve mine asap. However, they didn't get the Elite in that I was originally looking for.. So my question is should I wait or should I get the Ultra?

Elite is $200
Ultra is $300

Is it worth the $100 up charge is I am only running the 3700x?

I also see the ASUS X570 ROG Strix for the same price as the Ultra ($300).

Laundromatic - Feb 2012 TC Champs!
Laundromatic - July 2012 TC Champs!

Last edited by JMattes; 07-18-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 52)
Heavy Hitting Differences:

Ultra features over the Elite: On Board WiFi (if that matters to you), Bluetooth support, USB Type C port on rear IO, and the PWM controllers on the Ultra are from International Rectifier (IR) vs Intersil, which some people care about. Overall power delivery will be very similar.

If you plan on using Ethernet and will just drop in the chip and let the 3700x self regulate on the clocks I would save the $100 and put that in a GPU if your doing a new build. However if your system cooling/ect. demand more features i would look closer than what I know off the top of my head for fan support and the like.

At the end of the day, its what $100 means to your pocket.

-Sgt

Cheers-cheers.gif
SgtGates
ninja.gifNZXT H-Series Memberninja.gif
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by sgtgates View Post
Heavy Hitting Differences:

Ultra features over the Elite: On Board WiFi (if that matters to you), Bluetooth support, USB Type C port on rear IO, and the PWM controllers on the Ultra are from International Rectifier (IR) vs Intersil, which some people care about. Overall power delivery will be very similar.

If you plan on using Ethernet and will just drop in the chip and let the 3700x self regulate on the clocks I would save the $100 and put that in a GPU if your doing a new build. However if your system cooling/ect. demand more features i would look closer than what I know off the top of my head for fan support and the like.

At the end of the day, its what $100 means to your pocket.

-Sgt
What kills me is MC doesn't have it in stock so unless I wait for the next round of Ryzens to come in, I have to get the Ultra. Is there much of a difference between the Master and Ultra for the 3700x? I know Master has wifi6 which doesn't matter and a back plate which doesnt mean much to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:42 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 900 (Unique: 590)
Master is another tier above Ultra. If you can swing the price difference it's worth it as you get the new Infineon 16 phase PWM (no doublers) and 50A IR3556 powerstages with 6x6mm footprint instead of 40A IR3553 with are 4x6mm (i.e. higher thermal conductivity due to larger footprint) , Japanese capacitors, ESS SABRE DAC, debug LED, as well as Dual BIOS physical switch. There's other minor things such as 2.5G LAN, clear CMOs button , etc.

What Ultra has over the Elite:
  • Better audio codec (ALC1220 vs ALC1200) --- Aorus Pro also has ALC1220
  • Better power delivery in terms of PWM (IR35201+IR3599 doublers instead of ISL69147 with ISL6617 doublers) --- Aorus Pro also has this
  • Better heatsinking (massively more fin area) --- Aorus Pro also has this
  • Dual BIOS --- Aorus Pro also has it
  • 3rd M.2 slot --- niche but if you're getting PCIE 4.0 boards there's a reason why so many $300+ boards have 3x M.2 (ASUS didn't realize this and has 2 on all their ROG boards including the $700 flagship)
  • WIFI 6 --- if you need WIFI+BT
  • EC temp headers --- also on Aorus Pro , you get 2x temperature sensor cables for remote monitoring (i.e. not on PCB) of things such as GPU air inlet temp
  • Extra fan headers --- also on Aorus Pro
  • USB 3.1 gen 2 type C at rear panel --- also on Aorus Pro
  • 6 layer PCB for memory OCs above 4400MHz --- niche feature , Aorus Pro is also 6 layer
The strongest price/perf boards in Aorus product stack currently are the Aorus Elite $200, Pro WIFI ~$270 (yes it cost a little more but you get more stuff), Master ~$360 (lowest board with Infineon's new PWM ; useful for 3xM.2).

Xtreme fits high end builds that need to be fanless + overkill power delivery for a higher price ; Aorus Ultra is a weird positioning just to fill the $300 mark as you pay $30 for a M.2 slot and some extra fins on the SOC VRM heatsink.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 07-18-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Master is another tier above Ultra. If you can swing the price difference it's worth it as you get the new Infineon 16 phase PWM (no doublers) and 50A IR3556 powerstages with 6x6mm footprint instead of 40A IR3553 with are 4x6mm (i.e. higher thermal conductivity due to larger footprint) , Japanese capacitors, ESS SABRE DAC, debug LED, as well as Dual BIOS physical switch. There's other minor things such as 2.5G LAN, clear CMOs button , etc.

Just the guy I was hoping would chime in.. I am torn between the Master and the Ultra.. This will be my wife's work PC honestly and all it has to do is last.. Maybe my nephew will hop on it for some games, but nothing crazy.

I have $1130 store credit to MC and need a GPU as well, but if I grab the 5700 XT over the 2070 Super, I guess spending $65** more on the Mobo isn't a big deal.

I just don't know what "better" phasers and stuff like that mean so it's harder for me to justify it.

If this was my RIG which I have to upgrade in a new months.. then I would certainly spring for the Master.. Would the upgrades to the master make the board last longer?

Last edited by JMattes; 07-18-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 AM
⤷ αC

It really depends on what your wife's work entails. If it's something like video editing, mathematical work that uses all cores in MATLAB during computation (actual use of FFTs aka Fast Fourier Transforms), or CPU-based rendering (mainly those that don't fit into 8GB VRAM) then it's going to be different than GPU bound workloads , web browsing and Microsoft Word. Unless an application is well threaded and parallelized then there's not much gain from 6 cores to more cores due to Amdahl's law. That utilization rolls into the lifetime of the board, since if it's not 100% utilization it isn't going to heat up the board or the CPU nearly as much (for example, my Ryzen chips run ~10°C hotter at the same clock while running AVX instructions pegged at 100% usage).

If you're looking at buying from Microcenter I'm assuming it's the 8 core since the 12 core seems to be out of stock. The Aorus Elite should be fine for anything 12 cores or less in a well cooled case. I haven't seen anything suggest otherwise and $300 Asrock's Taichi and $300 Asus' X570-F STRIX + TUF Plus use the same powerstages more or less. The lifetime of 5K Hours for the Taiwanese Apaq capacitors on Aorus Elite (and most other boards of that price tier) is at 105°C at a higher 6.3V voltage (if running 1.3V or so you are derating the capacitor so you get much more life out of it), the $300 Taichi has 12K hour rating "FP" Japanese capacitors with the same powerstage type. To put it into perspective, 10°C drop yields 2x capacitor lifetime (Arrhenius' law) for electrolytics , keeping in mind these are solid capacitors. 365 days a year for 8 hours a day is around 3K hours. The Aorus Elite should be running something along the lines of 70°C or less especially with the 8 cores which means around 40-50K hours (4.5 years 24/7 or around 13 years at 8 hours/day) at least assuming 100% load.

If you aren't going nuts with overclocking 12+ cores and PBO (to make use of all the power delivery and the debug features such as debug LED + clear CMOS) there's no motivation to buy Aorus Master unless you need 3x M.2.

As far as the RX 5700 XT goes, unless you're watercooling it with a non-existent waterblock or putting an Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo on it (takes up a lot of space) then you're better off waiting a month for the aftermarket cards.

If you're looking at $1130 I'd probably go with:
Ryzen 7 3700X $330 before bundle discount of $100 due to RX 5700XT + x570 board
Optional: Aftermarket cooler such as the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B or some other 6 heatpipe cooler $45-60
RX 5700XT + Arctic Twin turbo III or RX5700 XT aftermarket ~ $450 (build in ~$30-50 for the cooler)
2x8GB RAM 3200+ MHz CL16/CL14 = $65-$160
---> https://www.microcenter.com/product/...d32aesb---gray should be Micron E-die
---> https://www.microcenter.com/product/...2z3600---black Likely Samsung B-die , 3600C16
---> https://www.microcenter.com/product/...36beea---black Crucial 3600C16 can be B-die
--> https://www.microcenter.com/product/...-16gfx---black AMD-oriented Samsung B-die costs much more
Aorus Elite $200
Total ~ $1100 (1000ish before tax)
* If doing video-work , fit in a PCIE 3.0x4 SSD such as the Corsair MP510 (TLC NAND with large SLC cache and high endurance rating) or Samsung 970 Pro (MLC NAND for high sustained write)
* PSU + decent case can't fit into a budget like this unless you cut it down to a $350 RX 5700

Microcenter is good about matching Newegg/Amazon pricing especially if you're buying hundreds of dollars of components so if you see something you want in-store just ask for a price-match.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
It really depends on what your wife's work entails. If it's something like video editing, mathematical work that uses all cores in MATLAB during computation (actual use of FFTs aka Fast Fourier Transforms), or CPU-based rendering (mainly those that don't fit into 8GB VRAM) then it's going to be different than GPU bound workloads , web browsing and Microsoft Word. Unless an application is well threaded and parallelized then there's not much gain from 6 cores to more cores due to Amdahl's law. That utilization rolls into the lifetime of the board, since if it's not 100% utilization it isn't going to heat up the board or the CPU nearly as much (for example, my Ryzen chips run ~10°C hotter at the same clock while running AVX instructions pegged at 100% usage).

If you're looking at buying from Microcenter I'm assuming it's the 8 core since the 12 core seems to be out of stock. The Aorus Elite should be fine for anything 12 cores or less in a well cooled case. I haven't seen anything suggest otherwise and $300 Asrock's Taichi and $300 Asus' X570-F STRIX + TUF Plus use the same powerstages more or less. The lifetime of 5K Hours for the Taiwanese Apaq capacitors on Aorus Elite (and most other boards of that price tier) is at 105°C at a higher 6.3V voltage (if running 1.3V or so you are derating the capacitor so you get much more life out of it), the $300 Taichi has 12K hour rating "FP" Japanese capacitors with the same powerstage type. To put it into perspective, 10°C drop yields 2x capacitor lifetime (Arrhenius' law) for electrolytics , keeping in mind these are solid capacitors. 365 days a year for 8 hours a day is around 3K hours. The Aorus Elite should be running something along the lines of 70°C or less especially with the 8 cores which means around 40-50K hours (4.5 years 24/7 or around 13 years at 8 hours/day) at least assuming 100% load.

If you aren't going nuts with overclocking 12+ cores and PBO (to make use of all the power delivery and the debug features such as debug LED + clear CMOS) there's no motivation to buy Aorus Master unless you need 3x M.2.

As far as the RX 5700 XT goes, unless you're watercooling it with a non-existent waterblock or putting an Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo on it (takes up a lot of space) then you're better off waiting a month for the aftermarket cards.

If you're looking at $1130 I'd probably go with:
Ryzen 7 3700X $330 before bundle discount of $100 due to RX 5700XT + x570 board
Optional: Aftermarket cooler such as the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B or some other 6 heatpipe cooler $45-60
RX 5700XT + Arctic Twin turbo III or RX5700 XT aftermarket ~ $450 (build in ~$30-50 for the cooler)
2x8GB RAM 3200+ MHz CL16/CL14 = $65-$160
---> https://www.microcenter.com/product/...d32aesb---gray should be Micron E-die
---> https://www.microcenter.com/product/...2z3600---black Likely Samsung B-die , 3600C16
---> https://www.microcenter.com/product/...36beea---black Crucial 3600C16 can be B-die
--> https://www.microcenter.com/product/...-16gfx---black AMD-oriented Samsung B-die costs much more
Aorus Elite $200
Total ~ $1100 (1000ish before tax)
* If doing video-work , fit in a PCIE 3.0x4 SSD such as the Corsair MP510 (TLC NAND with large SLC cache and high endurance rating) or Samsung 970 Pro (MLC NAND for high sustained write)
* PSU + decent case can't fit into a budget like this unless you cut it down to a $350 RX 5700

Microcenter is good about matching Newegg/Amazon pricing especially if you're buying hundreds of dollars of components so if you see something you want in-store just ask for a price-match.
Thank you so much for that write up..

Sadly they don't have the Elite in stock.. I guess I could just wait awhile as the wife is using my gaming rig (8700k) for her work. Honestly she remotes into her company's server and uses a virtual machine so there is very little stress this one (i think). I just like buying nice parts.. I have the RAM, PSU, ETC.. So the only thing the $1130 needs to cover is a cpu mobo and gpu.

I was thinking about putting the 5700 xt into my gaming Rig with the 8700k.. or perhaps even trading the 8700k for another 3700x.. I could just let me wife use the 8700k and make the gaming pc the 3700x and 5700 xt.. so many decisions.. Think Microcenter will keep those bundle credits around for another month?

Honestly, I probably could get by with a 3600x for my wifes PC... If I wanted to save money and go with lesser parts.

Right now the 8700k is running on an Rx480 MSI Gaming Edition GPU.

Last edited by JMattes; 07-18-2019 at 11:45 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:52 AM
⤷ αC

If Microcenter doesn't keep the Radeon bundle discounts it won't matter too much, the market prices will drop after 3 months (quarterly) and also after the board partner cards with aftermarket coolers come around in the August-September timeframe. The $30-50 discount CPU bundle deals generally last and the CPU prices drop a bit according to market conditions (after 3 months the initial demand wanes a bit due to increased supply). Back in 2017 they had a $100 or so bundle deal with R7 1700X (it didn't sell well due to lacking CPU cooler) which is the only reason I purchased one instead of R7 1700 which had a $30-50 discount at the time.

If your credit card has price protection I'd use it (Citicards' 60 day, HSBC's 60 day, etc) to blunt the early adopter tax. Discover used to have a 90 day period which was great compared to others' policies.

► Recommended GPU Projects: Einstei[email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I got the aorus elite with 3600x for my gaming focus pc...

I say unless you need extra fan headers go for the $200 board... There is an excellent YouTube review of the 200 dollar board by Actuallyoverclocking( who does videos for gamer Nexus).

I spend my $ else where because to me load times and silence matter more.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Get Aorus Pro rather than Ultra.
I'm researching the GB boards for the past 2-3 days and Ultra is a very weirdly positioned board with almost no difference from the Pro version. It just costs more, looks a little bit different with 1% better heatsink.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in