General & specific re: Ryzen 1600, 1600X - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

General & specific re: Ryzen 1600, 1600X

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
General & specific re: Ryzen 1600, 1600X

An expert thinks for me (want to game better, a little programming and video encoding) the 1600 is the only chip to buy. But I can get the performance of a 2700 for a lot less, so I'm looking at the 1600X. To optimize any OC you focus on VRM and heatsink and ideally 'better' phases. A more robust mobo will help a future possible 8 core as well, even at stock. If I'm ever unhappy with the cooler I'm in a better position if I'm closer to a "mid-grade" mobo.

PBO apparently only improves IPC 3-4% from what I've seen on 3000 series cpu's in the last week. But PBO or static, I should be better off with an 'X' chip.

At this point will I get better quality from a B450 vs. an X470, if spending less than $150 (not many but flash sales could help)? I only need B450 features (some can even use PCIe 4.0, not that I'll prob need it this round). If a deal on an X470 drops AIUI I'd be getting better traces, VRMs & heatsinks, generally.

I figure a 2000 series focused mobo would a) work with a 1600/1600X and if it already has an upgraded bios can work with Zen 2 as well. I think I'll have to wait for MSI, while they push out the MAX boards. GB is the only maker that doesn't block a PCI slot on mATX's but bios and VRM etc. sound sucky. I like bios and features like Q-LED on Asus but the Strix B450-E (a fav) is too $$ and the F variant could have much better VRM. Prime X470-Pro is gimped. Would like to be able to use a future Ryzen but that may be asking too much; 550 could be a long wait, and likely won't be a better buy even when they come out. I should say I want to use Linux so that's another point for Asus.

But you would agree that a 1600X is the cheapest, highest AMD IPC I can get w/o buying a used system, correct?

Thanks,

Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
The Ryzen 5 2600 is slightly faster than the 1600x and is currently cheaper than the 1600x on Amazon. Unless you can get the 1600x for a really good price, you should get the 2600 instead. Even the 2600x is only slightly more expensive than the 1600x.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thank you. Not sure why I'm not getting alerts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in