MSI b450 and X470 budget boards thread. - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

MSI b450 and X470 budget boards thread.

post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:19 AM
Ryzen Noob

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
@buddywh : Interesting, thanks. I think I'll play with PBO later tonight.
I'm having some strange memory latency issue, where I only have 80ns with a 3600C16 kit, which I think should be better. Can you take a look here and see if I'm missing something:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...l#post28064594

Edit: It's power down mode enabled that messes up latencies.

Case: Jonsbo U3 mATX - modded with two front intake 120 mm fans
Mainboard: AsRock X570M Pro4, AGESA 1.0.0.4 B
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x PBO @ Dark Rock Pro 3
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT red 4 x 16GB 3000C15 @ 3800C16
GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 Mini @ 1875 MHz @ 925 mV
Storage: 1.92TB MP510 & 2TB 660P
Fans: 2xNoctua NF-A12x15 PWM, 1xNoctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM

Last edited by DeathAngel; 07-29-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by DeathAngel View Post
@buddywh : Interesting, thanks. I think I'll play with PBO later tonight.
I'm having some strange memory latency issue, where I only have 80ns with a 3600C16 kit, which I think should be better. Can you take a look here and see if I'm missing something:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...l#post28064594

Edit: It's power down mode enabled that messes up latencies.
I've not really gotten into messing with memory yet. I just set it to XMP to get full rated speed then OC'd that to 3400 with the timings I'd used on my 1700...but only the timings exposed in BIOS, which aren't much. I see that RM lets you change all the timings but I haven't played around with RM since I prefer using BIOS. I don't even know if XMP enables PD mode so I may be experiencing the same latency issue.

Do the memory timings you set in RM 'stick' through a reboot? or do you have to run RM every time to change them like you do processor OC? I can't run RM since I'm using a VM (SVM enabled) and it can't see the physical processor state.

BTW, I've found that the PBO Scalar adjustment can have a major impact on voltage, especially at idle and light-moderate threaded useage. I was getting the very best CB 20 scores with a scalar of [10X] but then at low useage the voltage got higher than i liked. So I'm now at [2X] and still very close to the CB 20 numbers in the HWUnboxed review.

I'm kind of using the HWUnboxed numberst as the benchmark for a safely optimized setting since I feel they would have done that too. I feel I have to use something else since peak clock speed doesn't do it when clocks bounce around so much whether idle, moderate or heavy loaded. Add in that no monitoring utility I have has the resolution to catch all the changes (at over 1000 times per second, with Ry3k!) you'll be hard pressed to make a true measurement of 'average clock' during a test without affecting the test.

Last edited by buddywh; 07-30-2019 at 05:53 AM.
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Ryzen Noob

@buddywh : Have you enabled "expert" mode instead of "normal" on the OC BIOS page (first entry)? That should give you access to all the juice RAM stuff. I only use RM for the monitoring, since Ryzen DRAM Timing Checker (that "The Stilt" program) doesn't launch on my Windows and is said to be discontinued for Ryzen 3000 anyway. The only way to check some voltages (DTT, VDDP/G) and more exotic timings and the Ohm values is through RM as far as I know. The limit stuff is a nice to know thing as well. I don't do any sort of OC with the utility.

I'm still on RAM OCing myself. I've found that CL16-17-21-17 is much more stable than 16-16-21-16. I also dialed back the voltages (1.075 Vsoc and 1.35 Vdimm from 1.1 and 1.4 or over). Seems my Micron E-die is quite temperatur/voltage sensitive. Currently done 2000% RAMTest stable for 3533CL16 with tight sec/tert timings. Going for 3600 MHz now, wish me luck. Hopefully later today I can start some PBO investigation myself. And yeah, the granularity and speed of Ryzen boosting is insane. Btw I haven't done any tests on whether or not my RAM OC actually gives me better performance. They should, since other people have done those tests, but still. I'll get a good 3 speeds validated and then try and run a few benchmarks.

Case: Jonsbo U3 mATX - modded with two front intake 120 mm fans
Mainboard: AsRock X570M Pro4, AGESA 1.0.0.4 B
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x PBO @ Dark Rock Pro 3
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT red 4 x 16GB 3000C15 @ 3800C16
GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 Mini @ 1875 MHz @ 925 mV
Storage: 1.92TB MP510 & 2TB 660P
Fans: 2xNoctua NF-A12x15 PWM, 1xNoctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by DeathAngel View Post
@buddywh : Have you enabled "expert" mode instead of "normal" on the OC BIOS page (first entry)? That should give you access to all the juice RAM stuff. I only use RM for the monitoring, since Ryzen DRAM Timing Checker (that "The Stilt" program) doesn't launch on my Windows and is said to be discontinued for Ryzen 3000 anyway. The only way to check some voltages (DTT, VDDP/G) and more exotic timings and the Ohm values is through RM as far as I know. The limit stuff is a nice to know thing as well. I don't do any sort of OC with the utility.

I'm still on RAM OCing myself. I've found that CL16-17-21-17 is much more stable than 16-16-21-16. I also dialed back the voltages (1.075 Vsoc and 1.35 Vdimm from 1.1 and 1.4 or over). Seems my Micron E-die is quite temperatur/voltage sensitive. Currently done 2000% RAMTest stable for 3533CL16 with tight sec/tert timings. Going for 3600 MHz now, wish me luck. Hopefully later today I can start some PBO investigation myself. And yeah, the granularity and speed of Ryzen boosting is insane. Btw I haven't done any tests on whether or not my RAM OC actually gives me better performance. They should, since other people have done those tests, but still. I'll get a good 3 speeds validated and then try and run a few benchmarks.
Performance gains wise i think you should see more than the ryzen s with big cache.

B-die on 3900x looks like it's a waste considering tpu testing....

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Shenhua View Post
Performance gains wise i think you should see more than the ryzen s with big cache.

B-die on 3900x looks like it's a waste considering tpu testing....

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk
New released BIOS available... v190. On MSI support page for B450m Mortar. Adds a way to save settings profiles to a USB stick for quick loading of profiles. I do not know if this is the D2/Linux Boot fix as there's not much in the notes.

I did not have EXPERT mode enabled, I guess I do with the new version though. So I was changing some timings but can't find GEAR DOWN mode as an option, only POWER DOWN mode. Not sure what that does.

It's curious, 1usmus' Ryzen DRAM Calc suggest I change ProcODT to 34.3 ohms. I did that and it works OK so far... on the 1700 system deviating from 53 ohm would result in crash pretty quick in Windows at 3400.

I think I'd read that B-die had lost an awful lot of it's luster even with Ry2k and the later AGESA's. People were getting higher and higher clocks with low timings on Hynix and Micron ram, the B-die was just to expensive. Maybe why Samsung EOL'd it?
post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

new released BIOS available 7C02v1A for MSI B450 Tomahawk. I updated my mobo to latest bios then went into bios to check out what's new and etc. This time I had to enabled CnQ to make clock drop but voltage will not drop and still stay between 1.35v to 1.5v depend on what it's doing. I have been trying to figure out how to make voltage drop when system is idling. Hopefully anyone can help me out with this?

Thanks!!!
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by CapKrunch View Post
new released BIOS available 7C02v1A for MSI B450 Tomahawk. I updated my mobo to latest bios then went into bios to check out what's new and etc. This time I had to enabled CnQ to make clock drop but voltage will not drop and still stay between 1.35v to 1.5v depend on what it's doing. I have been trying to figure out how to make voltage drop when system is idling. Hopefully anyone can help me out with this?

Thanks!!!
What are you using to monitor voltage? use only RM or the latest CPUz (also HWMinfo64 but look at SVI2 core voltage). ALSO make sure you're not running any other monitor apps like iCUE as they keep the processor from ever putting cores into sleep states.
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Buddywh, Thanks for the reply. I'm using HWinfo64 to monitor my system. Also, I opened RM & CPUz and seems like voltage will not drop. I screenshot of all monitor programs for you to take a look at it if it will help or not?

Edit: forgot to add that I dont use iCUE program. I only run logitech software, steel series software, msi afterburner, and bunch of windows stuff in background.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor.png
Views:	43
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	284654  

Last edited by CapKrunch; 07-30-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by CapKrunch View Post
Buddywh, Thanks for the reply. I'm using HWinfo64 to monitor my system. Also, I opened RM & CPUz and seems like voltage will not drop. I screenshot of all monitor programs for you to take a look at it if it will help or not?

Edit: forgot to add that I dont use iCUE program. I only run logitech software, steel series software, msi afterburner, and bunch of windows stuff in background.

Thanks!
Afterburner is a monitoring program, probably/possibly so is steel series software?? I'd try killing them all just to see how it affects things.

But one thing for sure: you're running three monitoring utilites on the screen at the same time for that screen shot; RM, CPUz and HWInfo. That's also bad as running more than one at a time, even well behaved ones, can cause a 'race condition', whatever that is, that also prevents cores from sleeping. I DO notice in HWInfo that all the cores are above 4.25G...really high!...even though none are loaded more than a few percent. I'm hardly expert on this but that seems very odd especially since it's obvious (from the average and minimums) that the cores are throttling back...just not there.

I'd try killing all those apps and updating logitech software (it's your mouse, i assume?) just to see if one of them are doing it. Just use one app, CPUz is the simplest, to see if it's better.

EDIT: @CapKrunch : Hey! go read this:

https://community.amd.com/community/...-and-destiny-2

Last edited by buddywh; 07-30-2019 at 11:13 AM.
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

thanks Buddywh for your help. rep+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in