MSI b450 and X470 budget boards thread. - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI b450 and X470 budget boards thread.

post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Are there still issues with Tomahawk boards apart from what ms178 mentioned? The MAX version is finally available here and I want to get Ryzen 3600 + B450. I was following the issues at the launch, looking at MSI forums they mention slow boot times, that wouldn't be that much of a deal but what are the chances MSI would fix such issues?
Everyone recommends the Tomahawks from B450 options.. Are there really no other solid B450 boards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Ryzen Noob

Rep: 0
I had slow boot times on the B450M Mortar and my X570M is also not the fastest. On my old Haswell setup, modified to use an NVME SSD as the boot drive, my PC booted up before my DP monitor would wake up from stand-by. It is definitely different here. It might just be AMDs AGESA implementation. Either way, it is not enough to discourage me from using the platform. The only times it is a bit annoying is when I fiddle with a new OS install and OC options in the BIOS and that is limited to the first few days usually. Once I have dialed everything in, it's fine as I don't reboot often throughout the day. And I honestly don't know if the other manufacturers are better or worse, I've seen people complain about AM4 boot times using all kinds of motherboards.
Quote: Originally Posted by blue.dot View Post
Everyone recommends the Tomahawks from B450 options.. Are there really no other solid B450 boards?
Take a look at the Google Docs AM4 VRM Spreadsheet. You will see only MSI boards being able to barely handle a 3950x OC'd. While their VRMs aren't anything special, they definitely make up for it with the great heatsink on them. But since you are looking at a 3600 setup, unless you know you will use a 12 core or more OC'd CPU, any motherboard should be okay. And even if you get a 12 core, unless you go with bargain bin boards with no heatsink on the VRM, you will be able to run that thing stock 24/7. If you are not limited to mATX, I'd suggest looking at x370 or x470 bargains, since they have some decent stuff around (that is, if BIOS compatibility is assured). Maybe you can get a nice X470 from someone who upgraded to X570 and the BIOS is also compatible because they flashed it.

Case: Jonsbo U3 mATX - modded with two front intake 120 mm fans
Mainboard: AsRock X570M Pro4, AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x PBO @ Dark Rock Pro 3
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT red 4 x 16GB 3000C15 @ 3800C16
Graphicscard: Zotac RTX 2070 Mini @ 1875 MHz @ 925 mV
Fans: 2xNoctua NF-A12x15 PWM, 1xNoctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Good news everyone

Quote: Originally Posted by ms178 View Post
Has anyone else noticed the following issues with the MSI B450 Tomahawk? Starting with the KB4512941 update on Windows 10 1903 there is a Code 10 error for the RTL8111H network chip making the network device unusable if the system is booted in UEFI mode (which is NOT the default setting), everything is working correctly in CSM mode. Also reverting the update makes it usable again in UEFI mode.

Additionally, when using the Windows 10 Insider build 18970, the NIC is not recognized during the installation (possibly also on the current 18995 build, but as I used in-place-upgrades since then I just verified that it still does not work in UEFI mode on the newest build). Curiously it will work briefly after first installing the AMD graphics card driver, but after a re-start it won't work anymore.
I now use the latest beta BIOS from 24th September 2019 which had no effect on the issue and it was also present with the last BIOS revisions. I also use the latest AMD chipset and Realtek network drivers from the end of September. A Realtek engineer told me that Realtek needs help from MSI's BIOS engineers to work on the issue and I hope this gets fixed as it impacts the boot times (albeit not dramatically as I use a NVMe SSD).
UPDATE: Semi-good news, I narrowed down the issue further, the new Realtek UNDI driver didn't solve it, but the BIOS option PCIE above 4G decoding/crypto mining seems to be the culprit. With that disabled everything works as expected even in UEFI mode.

Last edited by ms178; 10-15-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in