Overclock.net banner

[OFFICIAL] ASRock X570 Overclocking and Support Thread

357K views 1K replies 188 participants last post by  Kaliz 
#1 · (Edited)
Glad you stopped by, welcome!

I just wanted to get the ball rolling with support for enthusiast level ASrock X570 motherboards. I wont be listing out features since reviews have been done to death, instead this thread will be about overclocking the motherboard and getting the most out of it. Furthermore, if you have any issues this is a good place to talk about them. I am in direct contact with people at ASrock who can make any necessary changes and release bios updates.

I have had a chance to play with the X570 Taichi combined with a 3700X, so I'd like to share some of the things I have learned and start the discussion. I am using the latest 1.60 bios, which is available on the support website, and also listed below. As for support equipment, I am using 2x8GB Samsung B-Die memory, an AIO cooler, and a basic GPU for display output.

CPU Overclocking
As you probably know by now, the rated boost frequency on the box of your Ryzen 3 processor doesn't necessarily mean your CPU will do that for all cores. Today I am looking at what CPU overclocks can be accomplished by manually setting all cores. I wont be covering 24/7 stability by running days of Prime95 or anything like that. For testing I will simply run Cinebench R15 several times for a given frequency and voltage. This is what I would consider benchmark stable, which is different from 24/7 stable.

I was able to accomplish the following:
  • Precision Boost (Stock Bios): 4200 MHz All-Cores @ ~1.40v
  • Precision Boost Overdrive (Maxed limits): 4200-4275 MHz All-Cores @ ~1.40v
  • Fixed: 4100 MHz All-Cores @ 1.15V Fixed (LLC1 = 1.15v Load, max temp 55c)
  • Fixed: 4200 MHz All-Cores @ 1.25V Fixed (LLC1 = 1.26v Load, max temp 59c)
  • Fixed: 4300 MHz All-Cores @ 1.35V Fixed (LLC1 = 1.37v Load, max temp 67c)
  • Fixed: 4350 MHz All-Cores @ 1.45V Fixed (LLC1 = 1.47v Load, max temp 78c)
Precision Boost Overdrive
In order to let the motherboard take over and overclock your CPU to the max, you first need to set the limits of the Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO). In the picture below I simply entered maximum rating which would be impossible for the CPU to attain making the PBO limits functionally disabled. Letting the motherboard take control of the overclocking is more efficient with power management, but potentially not the best in terms of maximum overclock. For more information about precision boost and precision boost overdirve, there is a nice YouTube video linked at the bottom of this thread.

Manual Overclocking

The important thing to note is the VID voltage located in the above bios screen shot. Leave this field alone and don't adjust the "Vcore" voltage here. When you enable manual overclocking, the VID voltage will be set for you, mine is 1.1000V. In the screenshot below you can see I setup Vcore and also the Load Line calibration.

Memory Overclocking
The CPU overclocking may have been quite boring to some of you, but the memory is where the real fun is for Ryzen 3. The XMP rating of your memory might not work for the AMD platforms, because in many cases they are optimized for Intel platforms. ASRock has done us a kindness and included some memory profiles in the bios to get you started.

As of right now, there are three memory profiles loaded with frequency, timings, and voltage all setup for you. I tested the profiles with very old Samsung B-Die, very Samsung new B-Die, and also Hynix M-Die. They work flawlessly and should be excellent for daily use.

Please tell us in this thread how much you like the memory profiles...maybe we can get ASRock to include MOARRR profiles!

The built-in profiles were a nice touch, and they certainly help you get going quickly. However, if you are like me, you will want to tweak the memory for maximum performance. In my early testing, I was able to create two 'benchmarking' profiles that work really well for various benching tasks.

There are a few critical bios settings beyond the typical stuff that can really aid memory overclocking and overall benchmark efficiency.

• SOC Voltage: Values between 1.15 V and 1.20 V can help stabilize the memory
  • ProcODT: Values between 38 and 60 have been known to help. On Ryzen 3 I have found that values around 40 Ohm are optimal for daily use. The conventional 'safe' limit for extreme overclocking is around 60 ohm.
  • Gear Down Mode: Disabling gear down can dramatically improve benchmark performance, but might be more stressful for memory. I highly recommend disabling this before you even get started stressing memory.
  • Infinity Fabric: For the best efficiency you want this as high as you can. Typically it will run about 1800-1900 MHz. If left auto, the infinity fabric will be 1:1 ratio with memory frequency, up to 1833 MHz. Beyond DDR4 3666 MHz memory, the ratio will be 2:1. For now we will leave it there...
High Frequency CL14
Below is the timing profile I created for CL14-13-13-13. I was able to boot and run all benchmarks easily at 4400 MHz using this timing profile. If I loosen up the secondary timings a bit I was able to train 4600 MHz. However, it was not stable for all benchmarks. With more testing and tweaking I believe 4600 MHz might be possible with CL14-14-14-14. The voltage for this profile is 1.75 V, with 1.15 V SOC.

Super Tight CL12
Some benchmarks prefer very tight primary timings. While I think high-frequency CL14 might be the better option for most tasks, sometimes CL12 is the best bet. The highest I was able to train was 3866 MHz using this super tight profile. When starting out, I found it was easiest to first train 3600 MHz in order to train the bios with the timings. Once 3600c12 has been established, then you can make attempts at high frequency. Here is the timing profile I came up with for CL12-11-11-11. The voltage for this profile is 1.75 V, with 1.15 V SOC.

Please Note: You may need to limit the memory in the OS to make this work. Windows has a built in feature called maxmem to accomplish this.

32GB (4x8GB) V.S. 16GB (2x8GB)
The motherboard is exceptional at overclocking four memory modules. With minimal effort I was able to run both of the profiles above while having all 4 memory slots populated. I noticed that four memory modules required about 100mV extra when compared to just two memory modules.

LN2 Overclocking
Coming soon :D

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X Motherboard (Current X570 Flagship)
To my admittedly limited knowledge, this is the same motherboard as the Taichi except it includes Phantom Gaming 2.5 Gigabit LAN as well as the Intel Gigabit LAN.

ASRock Product Page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming X/index.asp
Newegg ($329.99 Launch): https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157882

BIOS's

Reviews

ASRock X570 Taichi Motherboard
ASRock Product Page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Taichi/
Newegg ($299 Launch): https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157883

BIOS's

Reviews

Interesting YouTube Videos

Precision Boost Overdrive Explanation

X570 Taichi Motherboard Breakdown (Buildzoid)

Known Issues / BugsThat's all for now, check back often as I will keep this thread updated with all the latest info and tips I find.

See less See more
2 10
  • Rep+
Reactions: chevy350
#2 · (Edited)
Motherboard Teardown
Here are just a few quick shots of the naked board and all supporting armor. If you have any questions, or would like a closer look, just let me know and ill do what I can for you!

Is the chipset heat sink needed?
There as been a lot of talk about the chipset heatsink and fan on the X570 motherboards. On some boards like Intel Z390, the chipset doesn't produce much heat and it's not dangerous to run it completely naked. I thought it would be fun to remove the chipset heat sink on this board and find out what happens.

The answer...YES, it definitely needs a heat sink. By the time I got to the OS after first boot, the chipset had reached 50c. I let the computer idle in the OS for about a minute until the temp reached 60c. I pulled the plug at just over 60c, and it was still climbing.

• Rep+
Reactions: chevy350
#4 · (Edited)
can you measure the dimensions of the chipset heat sink (only the heatsink with the fan) and for the height including the armor plate over it. I wonder will the normal heatsink with fins have better cooling and be much quieter with proper case cooling.
In case he doesn't get back to you quickly enough , the fan is an Everflow 10mm thickness "T124010SL"
T for triangle mount, 12 for voltage, 40mm for diameter , 10mm for thickness , S for sleeve bearing probably (EBR) , L for low speed (relative to the rest of Everflow lineup in that size)

http://www.hwbattle.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=hottopic&wr_id=10833

Also seen here: http://www.gdm.or.jp/review/2019/0707/309198/2

Given that you essentially have below 15mm height clearance for the PCIE slot , I'd take that into account. If you plan on modding it you probably would need a 6 or 8mm heatpipe to relocate the heat somewhere to actually dump the heat , otherwise you don't have the vertical space (z-height).

--------------

CoolPC TW teardown: https://www.coolpc.com.tw/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=260316

As far as performance goes the VRM thermals are good , as seen in Tech Yes City's review with R9 3900X @ 4.3GHz (57°C) and hardware info NL

Do note there is a design flaw with USB 3.1 gen 2 type C connector:

(Image credit: http://blog.livedoor.jp/wisteriear/archives/1075243054.html)

Asrock is providing right angle connectors.
https://www.cfd.co.jp/news/2019/07/20190723/ said:
"The "X570 Taichi" and "X570 Phantom Gaming X" released on July 7, 2019 are now attached to the front USB Type C header on the motherboard when using some cases with USB Type C connectors. It turned out that there might not be.

Although the front USB Type C header function itself operates normally, in order to use the ASRock product longer for peace of mind to customers, let us purchase the target product for free by providing the front USB Type C internal cable free of charge. You will receive

We will show you how to receive the free offer as follows.
【Products】
"X570 Taichi"
"X570 Phantom Gaming X"

【Registration period】
Tuesday, July 23, 2019-Monday, September 30
※ The provision of the front USB Type C internal cable is scheduled for the beginning of September.

https://www.ask-corp.jp/supports/amp/asrock-x570-motherboard-usb-c-cable.html said:
The provision of "Front USB Type-C Internal Cable" is scheduled for the beginning of September, and will be distributed to customers who contact us in priority order of reception.
For the subsequent target products, the “Front USB Type-C Internal Cable” will be shipped with the product, or the orientation of the front USB Type-C header will change.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Chipset cooler

I have been thinking about the chip set fan a lot, especially since bios 1.60, were they lowered the fans rpm, which is good because mine was very noisy when i first started up the rig. The only thing i dont like is the 62C on the 570 chipset.
I believe because the built aluminium shroud with the chip set fan, might be able to mod it because its possible to mount something on the shroud itself. I also wonder if there are better small fans available for replacement. I remember seeing some cool heat sinks for chip set cooling from way back when.

What are the temps like on that Beta bios for the chip set?

#11 ·
Tried 3 different browsers, and none work, very strange. It tries to download it, but no data in the file, just an error.

#12 ·
Hello

I have been an intel guy for quite awhile. picked up a 3900x and a taichi X570.

My memory sticks are GSKILL TridentZ F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE

I am having just a bit of trouble with the memory aspect. I have 2x8 sticks in A1 and B1.
The highest I can get is 3133. just selecting manual mem speed. the XMP does not work. I did not think it would.
I tried all 3 of the asrock mem profiles. I have not changed SOC, or infinity fabric.
The sticks are NOT on the QVL. Any tips?

I also have HyperX predator HX4400C19P83Ak2/16
and TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ

the hyperX is in a different system, and the 64 gig kit is 3200 a bit slow.

Thanks.

#15 ·
New Bios out, 1.70A, to improve destiny 2 game play, wonder what has changed, anybody know?

#19 · (Edited)
ASROCK X570 TAICHI shutting down under load Help please

Hello all,

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x Asrock x570 Taichi board, EVGA RTX 2080 TI FTW WITH EVGA Hydro Copper Waterblock , EKWB EK-Supremacy EVO AMD CPU Water Block (Acetal+Nickel), 2X8 Team Dark Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01, Intel 760p Series M.2 2280 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D2 TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKKW512G8XT, AND Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX® Dual-Core Xtreme Profile Radiator - Black Carbon PUSH/PULL EK-Vardar EVO 120ER Black BB (500-2200rpm). Corsair AX 1200

I am using same OC setting as in this post and system is shutting down when I run CineBench r15 and Geekbench 4 at 4200 mhz 1.30 vc

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Noob alert!

Ok so i am having issues identifying certain areas of the bios on my Taichi x570.

Im trying to find all these setting in bios, but the naming convention does not seem to be the same as ryzen ram calculator, is there somewhere i can get the info to were these settings are located?

Thanks for the help.

#22 ·
I did a quick analysis of the memory performance of a few different memory configurations. It should be obvious from the results that keeping the memory and fabric clock as close to 1:1 as possible is deal. If I was able to test up near 4800MHz I think it might be interesting because the fabric clock would be in a good range (1200).

Let me know think, and if you want to see more comparisons :thumb:

#23 · (Edited)
Hello, i spent a great amount of time trying to oc my PV416G340C6K patriot 3400mhz CL16 ram to no avail. I used to hit 3600mhz with the default d.o.c.p settings on my x470 prime pro asus board together with a 2700x but now i cant even seem to hit 3400mhz at CL16 on my x570 taichi + 3700x. I tried manually overclocking of course with the help of the Ryzen DRAM calculator but didn't even got it to post with the safe settings, i did get it to post with 3600 , 3733 CL16 frequencies though it was unstable with lots of errors.

I got a response also from Patriot :

Unfortunately, AMD has been dragging their feet with releasing updates to support higher frequency DRAM in their Ryzen platform. We cannot guarantee that you will be able to hit 3000+ MHz but we have qualified those speeds with consistency in several motherboards.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Make sure to be using the A2 and B2 slots, or as designated in the motherboard manual

• Updating to the latest version of the BIOS

• Load Optimized Defaults and enable XMP (DOCP)

• Go to Frequency and change it to 2400 MHz and then Save and Exit

• If it holds and saves, increase to 2667 MHz

• Repeat this process until you have reached 3000+ MHz

Should you continue to run into issues, we suggest the following:

• Raising the voltage to 1.35v towards 1.45v incrementally

• Slightly raising CPU voltage

I managed to get it stable at 3200mhz CL16 lets hope AMD and ASRock get some updates out soon.

#26 ·
Hello, i spent a great amount of time trying to oc my PV416G340C6K patriot 3400mhz CL16 ram to no avail. I used to hit 3600mhz with the default d.o.c.p settings on my x470 prime pro asus board together with a 2700x but now i cant even seem to hit 3400mhz at CL16 on my x570 taichi + 3700x. I tried manually overclocking of course with the help of the Ryzen DRAM calculator but didn't even got it to post with the safe settings, i did get it to post with 3600 , 3733 CL16 frequencies though it was unstable with lots of errors.

I got a response also from Patriot :

Unfortunately, AMD has been dragging their feet with releasing updates to support higher frequency DRAM in their Ryzen platform. We cannot guarantee that you will be able to hit 3000+ MHz but we have qualified those speeds with consistency in several motherboards.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:
• Make sure to be using the A2 and B2 slots, or as designated in the motherboard manual
• Updating to the latest version of the BIOS
• Load Optimized Defaults and enable XMP (DOCP)
• Go to Frequency and change it to 2400 MHz and then Save and Exit
• If it holds and saves, increase to 2667 MHz
• Repeat this process until you have reached 3000+ MHz

Should you continue to run into issues, we suggest the following:
• Raising the voltage to 1.35v towards 1.45v incrementally
• Slightly raising CPU voltage

I managed to get it stable at 3200mhz CL16 lets hope AMD and ASRock get some updates out soon.
That is actually really good advice from Patriot with regard to memory setup and training. I don't think a bios update will do anything for you. It is going to come down to IC quality, as memory OC has changed from the previous generation. It sounds like you are running Hynix MFR memory, but I've seen some incredibly bad B-Die IC's from Patriot too. I would follow their steps and keep bumping the memory voltage when it fails. You may as well try up to 1.60v to see if that helps (you don't need to run it 24/7 there but you can test to see if it has any effect).

Dude that's amazing, are you using the same ram sticks? It looks like the modules are different but at the same speed.
Yes, it's the same kit of memory for all tests. They are Team Group 4800 XMP with strong Samsung B-DIE IC's and they are running the A2 PCB layout. I tested A0 layout also and they perform about the same.

#30 ·
G.Skill F4-3600C 19D-3200GTRS support? I do not see this in the QVL, but I have 64gb of this RAM and a 3900x. I am looking for a Mobo that will run this. The X570 Taichi is one of the leading contenders, but the cgdirector site basically says that if you are planning for 4 sticks of DDR, to look elsewhere. Not looking to do much for overclocking, as this workstation will be for CAD and 3d photometrics models. I will also be running a couple of VMs as I like to compile my own Android ROMs for my phone.

#31 · (Edited)
G.Skill F4-3600C 19D-3200GTRS support?
It's difficult to tell without knowing the IC the memory is using. The 3600c19 TZ Royal is a pretty low bin memory, so don't expect great things. I think your chances of that memory working well will be just as good with ASRock Taichi as it would with other top boards from different brands...so it's not really much of a concern if its listed on one particular QVL (IMHO).

but the cgdirector site basically says that if you are planning for 4 sticks of DDR, to look elsewhere.
That sounds like bad info, or anti-marketing...

I will post some results later, but 4 sticks of B-DIE is basically running the same exact timings as 2 sticks. This board clocks 4 sticks incredibly well, I easily posted 3600 CL12 with super tight sub timings using 4 sticks. Higher frequency was a little more difficult with 4 sticks, but I was still able to accomplish 4400 c14-14-14 with very little effort.

Attachments

#32 ·
Hey Everyone - thought I'd pop in as just seen this. I'm on a Taichi X570 with 3900X, 32GB (16GB x 2) Gskill 3200CL14 B-die RAM, 2080 Ti. I've not done too much in the way of overclocking yet as tbh I've not done it for 7+ years and don't really know where to start these days!! How's everyone getting along?

#33 ·
Welcome! A really good place to start is by trying one of the three built in profiles. Start with the easiest one, "Geil super luce", and see if it can run something like Geekbench 4 for a quick/mild stability test. If you find that profile is stable, then step up to the Corsair profile or start trying different frequency options. I haven't tested 16GB B-Die modules myself, but I think those profiles should work pretty easily for you. Let us know how it goes :)

#37 ·
Just setup an X570 Extreme4 Wifi after 7 years of no building ( retired the 1090/Asrock 990FX lol), and all seems fine so far, although I haven't done anything but update the bios to 1.60 to get my 3200/14 Flares to run at rated speed. The stock cooler is useless to me as far as trying to push the chip, it goes to 85* just running an instance of R20, so I'm most likely getting a Dark Rock Pro 4 to take care of that issue.
After being away for 7+ years, I almost needed new everything, case/CPU/Mobo/ram/OS/VCard. All I re-used was the SSD/1TB HD, and the TX750 PSU lol.
Lots to learn, but now that it's up and running, I will start pushing it a bit.

Thanks for the thread.

#38 ·
Hi Guys!
I have just switched from a crosshair vi hero with a 1700x to an asrock x570 Taichi!
So far the experience has been great :) other than 2 little issue:

- The USB 3.1 gen 2 type C connector (and i red about it in the first page)
- The Chipset fan.

God it's noisy even at quiet speed! Are there any way of modify it or use a bigger one, don't know. I'm opened to suggestions lol

Thanks!

#47 ·
Hi, noob here!

Anyone else having trouble getting your infinity fabric clock to 1800mhz? I`m running an 3900X on an x570 Extreme4 with 3600mhz memory, everything in UEFI on AUTO except XMP.

The memory is running 3600mhz and with infinity fabric clock on auto it is only running in 1600mhz. When setting IF-clock to 1800mhz manually the computer wont boot and I´m forced to hard-reset UEFI.

Bad BIOS/UEFI or unlucky in silicon lottery?

Thanks in advance

#51 ·
Awesome to hear that! Have you tried increasing the frequency yet? You can run 1.5V dimm for daily clocks without any harm.

So i noticed just playing with the asrock x570 taichi, you can kinda play around with SOC voltage, but when setting mem to 3600 the board takes over and i see in HWINFO its at 1.175 no matter what is set the bios should I worry? it seems up to 1.2 is OK...

I tried my 64 gig kit 4X16 an older gskill b-die dual rank, and it wasnt having any of that. i had to use 2 sticks and it KINDA worked.

with the 2X16 gig sticks I noticed cinebench runs were more consistent very close together within 1-3 points.
I assumed 16gb B-DIE sticks would be a challenge, and then running dual rank is just crazy. That is a lot of stress on the IMC, I am not surprised that CPU is having a hard time clocking 64gb high. As for the SOC volt, it didn't really do much for me. I leave mine on Auto most of the time honestly.

ProcODT is a BIG one for memory overclocking, that value can have a huge impact. You should try settings between 35 and 40 ohm.

#50 ·
So i noticed just playing with the asrock x570 taichi, you can kinda play around with SOC voltage, but when setting mem to 3600 the board takes over and i see in HWINFO its at 1.175 no matter what is set the bios should I worry? it seems up to 1.2 is OK...

I tried my 64 gig kit 4X16 an older gskill b-die dual rank, and it wasnt having any of that. i had to use 2 sticks and it KINDA worked.

with the 2X16 gig sticks I noticed cinebench runs were more consistent very close together within 1-3 points.

#55 ·
I didn't have any issues. 2x16GB DDR4-3600 CL19 (G.Skill SniperX) worked first shot - but the IF did clock to 1600MHz when I did that. I had to go into the AMD OC menu and override it from there. I haven't verified the SOC voltage - just assumed it was running at what I set it at - didn't bother probing it, either, though I did verify the accuracy of the VRM (much better than my Crosshair VI Hero - by 60mv!).

#57 ·
If you are looking for an alternative for the SB heat sink, I have a solution...if you can find it. The Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II keeps the chipset running nice and cool (max temp of 33c after 1 hour of 3D rendering, open air case). With the included hardware, you might run into screw height problems, however, with a trip to the hardware store you can make this little cooler work and it clears a big dual-slot GPU.

Good luck finding it...mine has been buried in a box since 2008 :p

Attachments

#124 ·
If you are looking for an alternative for the SB heat sink, I have a solution...if you can find it. The Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II keeps the chipset running nice and cool (max temp of 33c after 1 hour of 3D rendering, open air case). With the included hardware, you might run into screw height problems, however, with a trip to the hardware store you can make this little cooler work and it clears a big dual-slot GPU.

Good luck finding it...mine has been buried in a box since 2008 /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Do they use Tim or a pad to connect chipset to the heat sink? And how strong is the mount pressure?

You think there’s value to replacing the Tim/pad with better quality and trying to increase mount pressure?

#58 ·
This girl is all dressed up for the main event!

Attachments