[OFFICIAL] ASRock X570 Overclocking and Support Thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OFFICIAL] ASRock X570 Overclocking and Support Thread

post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

[OFFICIAL] ASRock X570 Overclocking and Support Thread

Glad you stopped by, welcome!

I just wanted to get the ball rolling with support for enthusiast level ASrock X570 motherboards. I wont be listing out features since reviews have been done to death, instead this thread will be about overclocking the motherboard and getting the most out of it. Furthermore, if you have any issues this is a good place to talk about them. I am in direct contact with people at ASrock who can make any necessary changes and release bios updates.

I have had a chance to play with the X570 Taichi combined with a 3700X, so I'd like to share some of the things I have learned and start the discussion. I am using the latest 1.60 bios, which is available on the support website, and also listed below. As for support equipment, I am using 2x8GB Samsung B-Die memory, an AIO cooler, and a basic GPU for display output.

CPU Overclocking
As you probably know by now, the rated boost frequency on the box of your Ryzen 3 processor doesn't necessarily mean your CPU will do that for all cores. Today I am looking at what CPU overclocks can be accomplished by manually setting all cores. I wont be covering 24/7 stability by running days of Prime95 or anything like that. For testing I will simply run Cinebench R15 several times for a given frequency and voltage. This is what I would consider benchmark stable, which is different from 24/7 stable.

I was able to accomplish the following:
  • Precision Boost (Stock Bios): 4200 MHz All-Cores @ ~1.40v
  • Precision Boost Overdrive (Maxed limits): 4200-4275 MHz All-Cores @ ~1.40v
  • Fixed: 4100 MHz All-Cores @ 1.15V Fixed (LLC1 = 1.15v Load, max temp 55c)
  • Fixed: 4200 MHz All-Cores @ 1.25V Fixed (LLC1 = 1.26v Load, max temp 59c)
  • Fixed: 4300 MHz All-Cores @ 1.35V Fixed (LLC1 = 1.37v Load, max temp 67c)
  • Fixed: 4350 MHz All-Cores @ 1.45V Fixed (LLC1 = 1.47v Load, max temp 78c)
Precision Boost Overdrive
In order to let the motherboard take over and overclock your CPU to the max, you first need to set the limits of the Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO). In the picture below I simply entered maximum rating which would be impossible for the CPU to attain making the PBO limits functionally disabled. Letting the motherboard take control of the overclocking is more efficient with power management, but potentially not the best in terms of maximum overclock. For more information about precision boost and precision boost overdirve, there is a nice YouTube video linked at the bottom of this thread.

Manual Overclocking

The important thing to note is the VID voltage located in the above bios screen shot. Leave this field alone and don't adjust the "Vcore" voltage here. When you enable manual overclocking, the VID voltage will be set for you, mine is 1.1000V. In the screenshot below you can see I setup Vcore and also the Load Line calibration.

Memory Overclocking
The CPU overclocking may have been quite boring to some of you, but the memory is where the real fun is for Ryzen 3. The XMP rating of your memory might not work for the AMD platforms, because in many cases they are optimized for Intel platforms. ASRock has done us a kindness and included some memory profiles in the bios to get you started.

As of right now, there are three memory profiles loaded with frequency, timings, and voltage all setup for you. I tested the profiles with very old Samsung B-Die, very Samsung new B-Die, and also Hynix M-Die. They work flawlessly and should be excellent for daily use.

Please tell us in this thread how much you like the memory profiles...maybe we can get ASRock to include MOARRR profiles!

The built-in profiles were a nice touch, and they certainly help you get going quickly. However, if you are like me, you will want to tweak the memory for maximum performance. In my early testing, I was able to create two 'benchmarking' profiles that work really well for various benching tasks.

There are a few critical bios settings beyond the typical stuff that can really aid memory overclocking and overall benchmark efficiency.
  • SOC Voltage: Values between 1.15 V and 1.20 V can help stabilize the memory
  • ProcODT: Values between 38 and 60 have been known to help. On Ryzen 3 I have found that values around 40 Ohm are optimal for daily use. The conventional 'safe' limit for extreme overclocking is around 60 ohm.
  • Gear Down Mode: Disabling gear down can dramatically improve benchmark performance, but might be more stressful for memory. I highly recommend disabling this before you even get started stressing memory.
  • Infinity Fabric: For the best efficiency you want this as high as you can. Typically it will run about 1800-1900 MHz. If left auto, the infinity fabric will be 1:1 ratio with memory frequency, up to 1833 MHz. Beyond DDR4 3666 MHz memory, the ratio will be 2:1. For now we will leave it there...
High Frequency CL14
Below is the timing profile I created for CL14-13-13-13. I was able to boot and run all benchmarks easily at 4400 MHz using this timing profile. If I loosen up the secondary timings a bit I was able to train 4600 MHz. However, it was not stable for all benchmarks. With more testing and tweaking I believe 4600 MHz might be possible with CL14-14-14-14. The voltage for this profile is 1.75 V, with 1.15 V SOC.

Super Tight CL12
Some benchmarks prefer very tight primary timings. While I think high-frequency CL14 might be the better option for most tasks, sometimes CL12 is the best bet. The highest I was able to train was 3866 MHz using this super tight profile. When starting out, I found it was easiest to first train 3600 MHz in order to train the bios with the timings. Once 3600c12 has been established, then you can make attempts at high frequency. Here is the timing profile I came up with for CL12-11-11-11. The voltage for this profile is 1.75 V, with 1.15 V SOC.

Please Note: You may need to limit the memory in the OS to make this work. Windows has a built in feature called maxmem to accomplish this.

32GB (4x8GB) V.S. 16GB (2x8GB)
The motherboard is exceptional at overclocking four memory modules. With minimal effort I was able to run both of the profiles above while having all 4 memory slots populated. I noticed that four memory modules required about 100mV extra when compared to just two memory modules.

LN2 Overclocking
Coming soon

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X Motherboard (Current X570 Flagship)
To my admittedly limited knowledge, this is the same motherboard as the Taichi except it includes Phantom Gaming 2.5 Gigabit LAN as well as the Intel Gigabit LAN.

ASRock Product Page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%2...%20X/index.asp
Newegg ($329.99 Launch): https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157882

BIOS's
Reviews

ASRock X570 Taichi Motherboard
ASRock Product Page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%20Taichi/
Newegg ($299 Launch): https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157883

BIOS's
Reviews

Interesting YouTube Videos

Precision Boost Overdrive Explanation

X570 Taichi Motherboard Breakdown (Buildzoid)

Known Issues / BugsThat's all for now, check back often as I will keep this thread updated with all the latest info and tips I find.

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
[LGA115x] 8700k, 7700K, 7350k, G3258
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
[OCF FTW] X299 OCF, Z170M OCF, Z97 OCF
GPU
E-Power, G-Power, H-Power, A-Power
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200W
Cooling
Kingpin Cooling: Venom & T-REX
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by mllrkllr88; 08-02-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

Motherboard Teardown
Here are just a few quick shots of the naked board and all supporting armor. If you have any questions, or would like a closer look, just let me know and ill do what I can for you!

Is the chipset heat sink needed?
There as been a lot of talk about the chipset heatsink and fan on the X570 motherboards. On some boards like Intel Z390, the chipset doesn't produce much heat and it's not dangerous to run it completely naked. I thought it would be fun to remove the chipset heat sink on this board and find out what happens.

The answer...YES, it definitely needs a heat sink. By the time I got to the OS after first boot, the chipset had reached 50c. I let the computer idle in the OS for about a minute until the temp reached 60c. I pulled the plug at just over 60c, and it was still climbing.

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Cooling
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by mllrkllr88; 07-24-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
@mllrkllr88 ,

can you measure the dimensions of the chipset heat sink (only the heatsink with the fan) and for the height including the armor plate over it. I wonder will the normal heatsink with fins have better cooling and be much quieter with proper case cooling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:05 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 900 (Unique: 590)
Quote: Originally Posted by DeltaX View Post

can you measure the dimensions of the chipset heat sink (only the heatsink with the fan) and for the height including the armor plate over it. I wonder will the normal heatsink with fins have better cooling and be much quieter with proper case cooling.
In case he doesn't get back to you quickly enough , the fan is an Everflow 10mm thickness "T124010SL"
T for triangle mount, 12 for voltage, 40mm for diameter , 10mm for thickness , S for sleeve bearing probably (EBR) , L for low speed (relative to the rest of Everflow lineup in that size)

http://www.hwbattle.com/bbs/board.ph...ic&wr_id=10833

Also seen here: http://www.gdm.or.jp/review/2019/0707/309198/2

Given that you essentially have below 15mm height clearance for the PCIE slot , I'd take that into account. If you plan on modding it you probably would need a 6 or 8mm heatpipe to relocate the heat somewhere to actually dump the heat , otherwise you don't have the vertical space (z-height).

--------------

CoolPC TW teardown: https://www.coolpc.com.tw/phpBB2/vie...?f=70&t=260316

As far as performance goes the VRM thermals are good , as seen in Tech Yes City's review with R9 3900X @ 4.3GHz (57°C) and hardware info NL
Spoiler!

Do note there is a design flaw with USB 3.1 gen 2 type C connector:
Click image for larger version

Name:	a18f5cb4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	283834
(Image credit: http://blog.livedoor.jp/wisteriear/a...075243054.html)

Asrock is providing right angle connectors.
Quote: Originally Posted by https://www.cfd.co.jp/news/2019/07/20190723/
"The "X570 Taichi" and "X570 Phantom Gaming X" released on July 7, 2019 are now attached to the front USB Type C header on the motherboard when using some cases with USB Type C connectors. It turned out that there might not be.

Although the front USB Type C header function itself operates normally, in order to use the ASRock product longer for peace of mind to customers, let us purchase the target product for free by providing the front USB Type C internal cable free of charge. You will receive

We will show you how to receive the free offer as follows.
【Products】
"X570 Taichi"
"X570 Phantom Gaming X"

【Registration period】
Tuesday, July 23, 2019-Monday, September 30
※ The provision of the front USB Type C internal cable is scheduled for the beginning of September.

Quote: Originally Posted by https://www.ask-corp.jp/supports/amp/asrock-x570-motherboard-usb-c-cable.html
The provision of "Front USB Type-C Internal Cable" is scheduled for the beginning of September, and will be distributed to customers who contact us in priority order of reception.
For the subsequent target products, the “Front USB Type-C Internal Cable” will be shipped with the product, or the orientation of the front USB Type-C header will change.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 07-26-2019 at 07:30 PM.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
In case he doesn't get back to you quickly enough , the fan is an Everflow 10mm thickness "T124010SL"
T for triangle mount, 12 for voltage, 40mm for diameter , 10mm for thickness , S for sleeve bearing probably (EBR) , L for low speed (relative to the rest of Everflow lineup in that size)

http://www.hwbattle.com/bbs/board.ph...ic&wr_id=10833

Also seen here: http://www.gdm.or.jp/review/2019/0707/309198/2

Given that you essentially have below 15mm height clearance for the PCIE slot , I'd take that into account. If you plan on modding it you probably would need a 6 or 8mm heatpipe to relocate the heat somewhere to actually dump the heat , otherwise you don't have the vertical space (z-height).

--------------

CoolPC TW teardown: https://www.coolpc.com.tw/phpBB2/vie...?f=70&t=260316

As far as performance goes the VRM thermals are good , as seen in Tech Yes City's review with R9 3900X @ 4.3GHz (57°C) and hardware info NL

Do note there is a design flaw with USB 3.1 gen 2 type C connector:
Attachment 283834
(Image credit: http://blog.livedoor.jp/wisteriear/a...075243054.html)

Asrock is providing right angle connectors.

Thanks, good info!

If I get the board will definitely change the chipset cooler either with 10-15 mm high aluminium heatsink with fins in case I decide not to change anything else. Other solution would be to get a riser cable for the graphic card and to mount proper Amd/Intel CPU cooler (have several from the old builds during the years) or third solution as you mentioned to get a heatpipe chipset cooler.

Alternatively if it looks like too much work will just watercool it (riser cable is a must in such case) although it might be overkill for such small amount of heat source.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

@mllrkllr88 ,

I will get thees measurements on Monday as I left this rig at my workplace. I can say that although the chipset DOES definitely need a heat sink, it doesn't need much of one if you have good airflow. Water cooling will provide nothing for you except cool factor and complications.

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Cooling
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

X570 Taichi bios: L1.68 (Unofficial beta, you assume all risk) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LZq...ew?usp=sharing

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Cooling
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Chipset cooler

I have been thinking about the chip set fan a lot, especially since bios 1.60, were they lowered the fans rpm, which is good because mine was very noisy when i first started up the rig. The only thing i dont like is the 62C on the 570 chipset.
I believe because the built aluminium shroud with the chip set fan, might be able to mod it because its possible to mount something on the shroud itself. I also wonder if there are better small fans available for replacement. I remember seeing some cool heat sinks for chip set cooling from way back when.

What are the temps like on that Beta bios for the chip set?
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Bios

Quote: Originally Posted by mllrkllr88 View Post
X570 Taichi bios: L1.68 (Unofficial beta, you assume all risk) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LZq...ew?usp=sharing
Wont let me download it, have you checked out whats changed?
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

Without the armor:
57mm x 70mm x 9mm
With the armor:
15mm tall

Images here:
Spoiler!

Quote: Originally Posted by Wickedtme View Post
Wont let me download it, have you checked out whats changed?
Unfortunately I don't have any hard info on what the changes were. I believe the majority at least have to do with auto rules about memory training, but again it's not a public release yet so there is no real info. I can tell you that the bios works great, although I didn't notice much difference when it comes to memory overclocking.
I haven't even bothered to check the chipset thermals. My board is running in an open-air environment and I have a fan sitting on the memory...so my thermal results would be inconclusive anyway. I wouldn't worry about your chipset being 62c, that's well within operating conditions and not a concern at all. If you don't like the temp, simply direct a nice fan in that area, it helps tremendously.

The link is working for me, let me know if you still have issues.

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Cooling
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in