Aorus X570 Pro Wifi BIOS Doesn't See the M.2 SSD - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Aorus X570 Pro Wifi BIOS Doesn't See the M.2 SSD

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Aorus X570 Pro Wifi BIOS Doesn't See the M.2 SSD

A few days ago I purchased a X570 Pro Wifi mobo and a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. The system has an Asus 1080 and 32 GB of Ripjaws 3200 RAM. One of the nicest builds that I've done and it runs exceptionally nice.

Here's the problem: I have a Samsung 950 M.2 SSD installed, and the board's UEFI BIOS doesn't detect it. When booting from another source, W10-64 sees it and the M.2 is fully accessible. A call to Gigabyte's tech people proved fruitless, as they suggested that I tinker with W10's boot manager. I have previously run that same M.2 on a Asus Z170 rig and never had a problem with it not being detected. I think it's a bug in the BIOS but I'm at a loss on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ZZZTOPZZZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:59 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 911 (Unique: 592)
Have you tried different BIOS versions?

Also: If you took it from Z170 board and didn't reinstall Windows could be you're missing chipset drivers for AM4

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by zzztopzzz View Post
A few days ago I purchased a X570 Pro Wifi mobo and a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. The system has an Asus 1080 and 32 GB of Ripjaws 3200 RAM. One of the nicest builds that I've done and it runs exceptionally nice.

Here's the problem: I have a Samsung 950 M.2 SSD installed, and the board's UEFI BIOS doesn't detect it. When booting from another source, W10-64 sees it and the M.2 is fully accessible. A call to Gigabyte's tech people proved fruitless, as they suggested that I tinker with W10's boot manager. I have previously run that same M.2 on a Asus Z170 rig and never had a problem with it not being detected. I think it's a bug in the BIOS but I'm at a loss on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for hijacking, but im experiencing the same thing with the CrossHair VIII, im unable to see the m.2 drive in the bios/windows.
I was also running a X370 system, and it was working wonderfully, i also formatted the drive and installed the chipset from asus website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Have you tried both slots? M2A and M2B. on the x470 Gigabyte board I just installed if I put the M.2 drive in the lower slot the board did not see it, even though it was labeled the m.2 slot and the top was the nvme slot.

3800X & Corsair H80iv2
Gigabyte x470 Gaming7 wifi-50 F42a 1003ABB bios
Evga 850 SuperNova
Gigabyte 2070 OC
32GB Balistic LT sport 3200
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It has the latest BIOS as of today and was tested in both slots. My 1 TB Crucial SATA arrived today and I'm going to do a fresh W10 install with all other SATA drives removed, per Gigabyte techs. I'm thinking Gigabyte needs to jump in here on this one and effect a fix pronto. Shouldn't have to rely on microsoft for a software fix.

ZZZTOPZZZ
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Problem solved. The new Crucial M.2 arrived last Friday afternoon. I installed it side-by-side with with the problematic 500 GB Samsung 950 M.2, and as before, the BIOS refused to see either M.2 drive. And, as a matter of fact, W10 wouldn't recognise the new Crucial M.2 either. It then dawned on me what the Gigabyte tech was talking about; the drive needs to be initialized. W10's Disk Manager wouldn't see the new Crucial drive until a pop-up appeared directing me to run the initialization routine. That being done, I rebooted and lo and behold, the X570 BIOS sees the new the new Crucial M.2 (but not the Samsung 950 M.2). A trip over to 'www.crucial.com/clone' let me download Acronis for cloning the Samsung into the Crucial, and that went without any gotchas.

ZZZTOPZZZ
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by zzztopzzz View Post
Problem solved. The new Crucial M.2 arrived last Friday afternoon. I installed it side-by-side with with the problematic 500 GB Samsung 950 M.2, and as before, the BIOS refused to see either M.2 drive. And, as a matter of fact, W10 wouldn't recognise the new Crucial M.2 either. It then dawned on me what the Gigabyte tech was talking about; the drive needs to be initialized. W10's Disk Manager wouldn't see the new Crucial drive until a pop-up appeared directing me to run the initialization routine. That being done, I rebooted and lo and behold, the X570 BIOS sees the new the new Crucial M.2 (but not the Samsung 950 M.2). A trip over to 'www.crucial.com/clone' let me download Acronis for cloning the Samsung into the Crucial, and that went without any gotchas.
I have been having exactly the same problem with my x570. How did you get your disk manager to show the pop up directing you to initialize the drive? Additionally, what BIOS do you have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in