(Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master Overclocking Thread) - Page 28 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master Overclocking Thread)

post #271 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
CPU overclock is good but memory fails to boot into windows

So I've read the whole 27 pages since there's been new developments of BIOs versions hoping something would solve the problem I'm having.

Following system:
3900x with AORUS Master
32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

If more info is needed on the system I can provide that. I've successfully boosted my CPU to be 4200MHz across all cores which was simple with a change a couple parameters in the BIOs. I really wanted to tighten the memory a bit especially the latency for games but every time I mess with the memory the system just gets stuck in a boot cycle. I've tried so much so I'm hoping people have ideas I can do. I ended up setting everything back to Auto from the manually inputted numbers to get the system stable.

Here's what I've done. I took Thaiphoon and took the information to save in a complete report (in ns) and imported that to the latest version of Dram Calculator. When i click on the Calculate Safe I get these settings. So if I turn off XMP in Bios and type in every setting I end up with around 2100Mhz if the system is even able to get into Windows. Most of the time it will just get stuck on a boot loop. I tried on the first page 1usmus tips and as I try each and every change I get no benefit and still stuck in the loop.

I tried to take the first 6 settings and the voltage changes and that even doesn't help me get into windows.

So what should I try to tighten the memory settings on my system?

Thanks for your time in reading and any suggestions you can provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basememory.png
Views:	4
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	351040  

Name:	DramCal_173.png
Views:	25
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	351042  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 22)
Yeah the DRAM calculator gives notoriously agressive values for Hynix chips. Im assuming that's what you're using?. Especially the tRFC value. The closest im stable is 525. Sub 500 is no boot.

I have the same board but with F12a BIOS (beta) and 4x8GB Hynix JJR and 3800X. Im running 3733 @ 16-20-20-36. JJR is not as good as CJR/DJR so 16-19-19-39 seems realistic at 3600.
Your read/write speeds seem ok but you could further drop the latency. Make sure DRAM power down option is disabled. I believe it was somewhere in the AMD CBS menu. It tries to save some power but adds latency.

The rest could come from tightening subtimings. Also the calculator is wau too conservative when it comes to voltage. DRAM can take a lot of voltage. I suggest you try 1.38-1.42
post #273 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 09:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yep my set is Hynix DJR. When using XMP I do get 16-19-19-39 but was hoping for better. I thought the voltage was suppose to remain low since the kit was designed for 1.35 and usually you get go a little higher but not that much.

So I should try the numbers again from the calculator but change the tRFC value higher than the 471 and up the voltage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by zacreth View Post
Yep my set is Hynix DJR. When using XMP I do get 16-19-19-39 but was hoping for better. I thought the voltage was suppose to remain low since the kit was designed for 1.35 and usually you get go a little higher but not that much.

So I should try the numbers again from the calculator but change the tRFC value higher than the 471 and up the voltage?
That would be my suggestion yes. I suggest you ignore the primary timing recommendations and manually set 16-19-19-39 @ 1.38v with tRFC of 525. If it does not boot up the voltage and increase tRFC a bit. Say to 1.42 and 550.
If it does boot then test for stability. And it it's stable then you can try and set rest of the subtimings (not primary or tRFC). In my experice the rest don't really cause no boot situation but they do affect performance.
post #275 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 09:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

So I turned off XMP and set tCL, tRCDWP, tRP, rTAS and tRFC to 16,19,19,19,39 respectively and voltage to 1.38V. So it boots into windows but it's only reading a memory bus of 1066.7Mhz. Would I need to manually set the MCLK and FCLK to get it back to 3600Mhz?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Primary.png
Views:	5
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	351044  

post #276 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

That was no go. I changed MCLK and FCLK to 1800. Boot cycle. Changed the tRFC to 550, same. Up'd the voltage to 1.4 gets me to windows PC recovery due to the boot cycle but when the screen comes up it's all artifacts. Tried to increase the tRFC to 575 same boot cycle. Reset all the settings except the post above and got back into windows with 1066.8MHz memory bus.

So what now?
post #277 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
So I turned off XMP and set tCL, tRCDWP, tRP, rTAS and tRFC to 16,19,19,19,39 respectively and voltage to 1.38V. So it boots into windows but it's only reading a memory bus of 1066.7Mhz. Would I need to manually set the MCLK and FCLK to get it back to 3600Mhz?
Yes, you can just change mclk and I think fclk will change automatically or you can force fclk in amd cbs or amd overclocking, amd cbs settings will reset if it fails memory training (F9 debug code) twice, amd overclocking settings will stay. 1.4v should be fine for daily use, it'll give you a little more head room to tighten timings.

Main Rig
(12 items)
CPU
3900x
Motherboard
Aorus Master
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super
RAM
G.Skill [email protected] 16-16-16-32-48-1 GDM 32GB 1.38v
Hard Drive
Corsair MP600 x3 Raid 0
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Noctua D15 push/push
Case
Cooler Master SL600M
Operating System
Win 10 1909
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Audio
Onboard Optical out
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by MyUsername; 06-01-2020 at 10:39 AM.
post #278 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

That was no go. I changed MCLK and FCLK to 1800. Boot cycle. Changed the tRFC to 550, same. Up'd the voltage to 1.4 gets me to windows PC recovery due to the boot cycle but when the screen comes up it's all artifacts. Tried to increase the tRFC to 575 same boot cycle. Reset all the settings except the post above and got back into windows with 1066.8MHz memory bus.

So what now?
I have XMP enabled even if i set my own timings. XMP only affects the speed (Mhz), primary timings and voltage.
Try enabling XMP and then setting the manual timings for primary, voltage and tRFC.

Also do you have your sticks in the right slots?
Default recommended is A2 and B2 but you can also try A1 and B1 if you have problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled01.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	531.2 KB
ID:	351048  

post #279 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 06:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

The RAM is installed correctly and it's in A2/B2. So when I enabled the XMP and saved and rebooted it was caught in a loop. I made changes to the voltage and still had the first 6 settings and it was still caught in a loop. I ended up taking all the settings out in manual timing, left the XMP enabled and was still in a boot loop. It wasn't until I lowered the voltage to the DRAM did it actually get me back into windows. I have the voltage set for 1.35V right now.

So increasing the voltage to 1.38V or 1.4V causes it to get stuck in a boot loop. I have to run some errands and try to take out the CPU overclock so it's stock and see if I can get it to boot with the first 6 settings and voltage. Maybe the CPU overclock is messing with the memory settings and throwing it out of whack. I'll try in a couple of hours when I'm back.
post #280 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

So i found out if i take out the cpu overclocking I can put the default settings manually of 16-19-19-19-39 and the system boots fine and sees the correct speed. If I put in what DRAM calculator suggests which is 14-17-19-19-38 it barely boots. So I up the DRAM voltage to 1.4 and I get into windows. The only problem is that is only seems 1066Mhz again. It seems that the board or memory is not cut out to be trimmed at all.

So for the time being I'll go completely stock until I can figure out what settings I should try since it seems that DRAM calculator is off....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in