x570 Aorus Elite System freezes / instability issues - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

x570 Aorus Elite System freezes / instability issues

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
x570 Aorus Elite System freezes / instability issues

Hey guys! First of all, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know if I'm this is not the place for issues, new here.
Recently I got build, which is the following:
1. x570 Aorus Elite (duh)
2. Ryzen 3700x
3. 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200c16.
I've been experiencing freezing and instability issues when running on anything higher than 3.6GHz (base clock, core boost disabled) on my 3700x. Basically my system just randomly freezes (no BSOD or anything, just can't move the mouse and can't do anything until I restart) after some load or sometimes even when idling. Today I ran about 2-3 hours of AIDA Stress test with no crash and after some hours of normal usage (browsing, watching videos, etc.) it crashed again. Sometimes when stress testing in AIDA I get Hardware Failure error and the test stops, sometimes it just freezes mid test, it's really RNG.
I've done the following things and tests to ensure I'm not screwing things up in the BIOS or something:
1. Updated to every BIOS release, up until the just released beta BIOS F4l. I specifically waited a few BIOS updates to see if something changes, my system just froze randomly again about 30min after updating to this version.
2. Clean reinstall to Windows 1903.
3. Updated Chipset drivers to the latest released by AMD.

I've tested the following BIOS settings with not much improvement:
1. Everything default( CPU, RAM, etc.) - system freezes.
2. Default CPU settings, XMP RAM - system freezes.
3. Tried manual overclock with about 1.325V with anything from 4.2GHz down to 3.8GHz and again it crashed.
4. Tried PBO+XMP - no luck.
5. The only thing that is stable for me 100% of the time is disabling Core Boost and staying at 3.6GHz all the time (XMP also no issues).
Wondering if someone is having the same issues or if you have any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:25 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Are you sure you set RAM voltage and SOC voltage when XMP is on? If the XMP profile isn't setting the RAM voltage it could be an issue, especially for something that is highly likely to be dual rank. That or whatever power plan is dropping RAM or CPU voltage too low at idle power states.

When it freezes does your keyboard work or is it just your mouse?

Is your mouse wireless?

What GPU are you using? If it's not a RX 5700 series I'd make sure to set PCIE 3.0 instead of PCIE 4.0.

There's also a F4J now on the official site: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...upport-dl-bios

If it's seemingly random maybe your PSU doesn't support modern low power states or something obscure like that.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 08-14-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've tried manually setting the voltages for the SoC (tried 1.1V and 1.15) and RAM from 1.35V up to 1.45V with no luck. Also tried setting LLC to something higher as to keep. voltage more constant.
Both my keyboard and mouse are wired (g502 and K95 Platinum), when the system freezes I can't do anything with both the mouse and keyboard (even my keyboard color effects get frozen in place xD). What's weird is that if I have music playing it still keeps going for a good couple of minutes until it stops too.
I have an R9 290x, I haven't tried setting the PCIe from 4.0 to 3.0, will try that, thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Just tried setting the PCIe to 3.0 and still got a crash after ~20 min of AIDA stress testing. I have an Aurum Pro 850W, which I think it's pretty good. I wouldn't rule it out, since it's 4-5 years old now, but I'd say it's the more likely than not for it to not be the cause for instability.
Also, I was using the F4J BIOS for the last couple of days and I'm actually now on F4L now, released yesterday (it's dated 8/12, still not listed on their site as it's a BETA version).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:13 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 582 (Unique: 459)
More cpuv. Might just need a tad more.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm already hitting 1.481V max at stock and my average is 1.434V (shown in HWiNFO64), not sure if more voltage is going to help.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:42 AM
AMD OVERLOCKER

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Which psu do u have and what are your +12v measurements?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• Ryzen 3600x @4300 v1.3
  • Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570
  • G-SkillLL F4-3200C15D-16GTZ Trident Z Series 16GB CL15 Bdies @3720 16-15-14-1T
Offical Ryzen 5 3600x Owner!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hey, thanks for the responses, it turned out the problem is with the GPU, most issues I found with the system freezing and the sound keep playing in the background were GPU related, so I tried reverting back to some old drivers and the only one that works for me is the Crimson ReLive Edition 17.1.1. Anything above version 18 makes my system freeze randomly. I only assumed it's the cpu/mobo, since I just upgraded and never had this issue before. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, it certainly helped me figure out the issue.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Good to hear you fixed your problems

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

The same here: sometimes when idle the system freezes, I can not move the mouse or the keyboard does not work. I have tried: - Disconnect keyboard and mouse: when reconnected they have no power and of course they still do not work - Access a DLNA service from the living room TV: it works !!!! that is the computer responds - Turn the monitor off and on: the screen goes black This happens to me since I have a monitor with display port and gsync (compatible). No error appears in the event handler. My graphics card is an RTX2080

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in