Crosshair Hero VII X470 vs Aorus Elite X570 vs X570 MSI ACE - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Crosshair Hero VII X470 vs Aorus Elite X570 vs X570 MSI ACE

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0

So I decided to upgrade my old Ivy Bridge PC to AMD Ryzen PC. I purchased 3700X and 2x16 GB CAS14 3200 B-Die memory.
Now I am looking for a reasonable motherboard.

First of all, I am going to upgrade in the future my 3700X to the best available CPU for AM4 socket (3950X or maybe there will be something better on the market)...
I am not interested in extreme overcloking the CPU. 5% performance boost for 30% more heat and stability issues is not win for me.
I don't need PCIE 4, WIFI, dozens of USB ports or 2.5/5/10 Gbit Ethernet.
Stability firts, then performance. 40% gaming, 60% productivity (programming + image/video editing).

I am not a biggest fan of chipset fans I had DFI motherboard with a fan and had to replace it with custom made heat-pipe passive tower cooler.

So I was thinking about X470 motherboard.
Namely Crosshair Hero VII X470.

Most X570 motherboards have fan placed directly below GPU. This is unacceptable, because I have a 3 slot 1080Ti GPU.

I found two boards with fan placed somehow below GPU (partially of fully):
X570 MSI ACE - expensive. I will get free COOLER MASTER MASTERLIQUID ML240L, but it is not very expensive gift. I can probably sell it for 10% of the motherboard value... Maybe 15%.
Aorus Elite X570 - cheapest option.

So... any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

My recent thoughts.

MSI ACE X570
- best VRM; should handle 16 cores.
- various testimonies about VRM temps – some people claim low temps, others high temps
- fan is almost always off. When it works it works rather silently

Crosshair Hero VII X470
- VRM quality on par with Aorus Elite X570
- Should handle non-OC 16 cores ???
- BIOS issues (?)… some people claim everything works, others say ‘stay away from this board if you have Ryzen 2’

Aorus Elite X570
- VRM quality on par with Crosshair Hero VII X470
- Should handle non-OC 16 cores ???
- Do not know how noisy fan really is.

Two weeks ago I was almost convinced to buy Hero VII X470. Now I am not so sure…
X470 with its passive cooling is so tempting, but I do not want to step into stability issues or lock future CPU upgrade.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:32 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Given the choice between those boards the MSI Ace is the strongest board if you can get the cooler offer but Gigabyte and Asrock have been quicker with BIOs updates. I've also seen hardwareunboxed have a poor result on the MSI creation on 1.0.0.3AB but now they have 1.0.0.3abb BETA as of August 26 for both the Creation and Ace.

Crosshair VII Hero is going to have less BIOS priority and the ASUS BIOS shaming has sort of become a thing. It's on 1.0.0.3ABB as of August 23rd.

Aorus Elite has fan stop with newer BIOS ; the latest BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB is dated August 2.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for your insight.

Well.. It is all about the money… MSI is about 60% more expensive than Gigabyte and Crosshair VII is somewhere in between. Even Elite is expensive when I compare it to the past.

I can afford MSI but at the same time I think I could spend the difference on bigger SSD or some software.

One important note: I am going to stay with this PC build for at least 3-4 years.

About BIOS-es.
All mentioned boards have the same microcode as of today. Right?
The fight is about tuning and memory compatibility…

@AlphaC
What would you do?
Is investing in Crosshair VII a bad move? (even if it is X470 flagship)?
Shouldn’t I be afraid of fan cooling on X570?
Is MSI really worth the money difference over Elite/Crosshair… and do I really need so big VRM for non-OC 16 cores?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
first bdie dont matter much with ryzen 2 untill you are nuts about extreme timing and overclocks. second stay away from msi like the black plague.Bios has issues and well they are more like non existent. Yes ch7 will do or if you want to spend your money just watch this video by buildzoid should answer all your questions.

just avoid msi if you dont want to suffer from various issues and their bios updates are atrocious and slow as hell.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quick update.

MSI ACE
I have read couple of threads on different forums and I have not found big problems. People usually report slightly lower boost clock and complain about BIOS updates (not that frequent as they would like to get).

But other than that… it just works.

Reviews suggest not so great VRM cooling (on par with e.g. Gigabyte Elite – much cheaper motherboard).
Board is almost always passive and fan is supposedly great (silent).
Still expensive.

It seems that the whole MSI bashing thing comes from previous generation motherboards having too small BIOS chip…

Crosshair Hero VII X470
Just works. Great BIOS modding community. Some problems with fan stop (supposedly fixed by modded BIOS).
Rather expensive for previous-gen motherboard.

Aorus Elite X570
Fan is supposedly rather loud.
Some people say that the BIOS flash-rom is too small. I am not sure if this is important because Ryzen 2 is probably the end of the line for AM4. In best case scenario AM4 gets one more CPU generation/or refresh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in