AGESA FW stack patched bioses for 3rd gen - Page 58 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

AGESA FW stack patched bioses for 3rd gen

post #571 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 868 (Unique: 331)
Quote: Originally Posted by TwinParadox View Post
@The Stilt

Hi mate, sorry for my request, but would you be so kind to compile latest flashrom 1.2 with -internal support under pure DOS environment ?

I've downloaded source from the github repository but my attempts to compile from myself have failed hundred times and I'm very tired.

If you could make a 1.2 version of this wonderful tool it would be a great and useful thing.

Thanks anyway for your help and keep up the good work.
Unfortunately it isn't possible, since I'm now using 3rd gen. Threadripper as a workstation and these aren't compatible with Linux.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 01:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Don't worry, thanks anyway.
post #573 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by TwinParadox View Post
Don't worry, thanks anyway.
Actually, I took interest in the reasons why I couldn't get TRX40 platform to work under Linux, despite all of the know workarounds I tried.
Apparently it has something to do with the GPU UEFI bios, which caused the system to halt at initilization.

I compiled few different flavors, since I'm not sure how stable the latest commits are...
The one marked 1.2 is the 1.2 release from February, the rest are different commits. flashrom_cc71eb5 is based on the newest commit (7a7fee1 is an intermediate version), but I had to patch it before it could be compiled for DOS.
The maintainers have forgotten to disable support for Raiden for DOS builds, so without disabling Raiden (libusb dependency) build it could not be compiled.

The "patch" is extremely simple, open Makefile and add after line 213:

Code:
ifeq ($(CONFIG_RAIDEN), yes)
UNSUPPORTED_FEATURES += CONFIG_RAIDEN=yes
else
override CONFIG_RAIDEN = no
endif
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag6oE4SOsCmDh1h7BCmrdrMkbTIT

Note that these builds DO NOT include support for Ryzen CPUs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 10:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
@The Stilt

Thanks mate for helping me. I'd like to help you with UEFI BIOS.
post #575 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 09:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 24)
Flashrom works fine with my ASRock X570 Pro4 mainboard

@The Stilt

Thank you very much for your phantastic work.
I can confirm, that the Flashrom tool is able to flawlessly dump the 32MB sized BIOS Region of my ASRock X570 Pro4 and to successfully flash the updated/modded BACKUP.ROM into the SPI Chip of the board.

Since I was not able to get any UBU tool modded BIOS properly flashed into my ASRock X570 Pro4 mainboard by using the in-box Instant Flash tool, it was your friend aGeoM, who encouraged me to try the Flashrom tool and helped me to find the exact BIOS flashing procedure. Meanwhile I have written a short guide into the start post of >this< Win-RAID Forum thread.

Today I wanted to find out, whether it is possible to do it as well by using FREEDOS instead of MS DOS. After having removed the diskcopy.dll file from my Win10 system drive, I created the bootable FREEDOS image by using the original (unpatched) Rufus version 3.10. To my surprise I succeeded with the creation of the BIOS Region dump.

Question to you: Do you think, that it is possible as well to get a modded BIOS properly flashed by using the same FREEDOS USB Stick?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kind regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flashrom.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	347940  

My system:
MB: ASRock X570 Pro4, CPU: Ryzen5 3600, System Drive: 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD, OS: Win10 x64 Pro v2004
post #576 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Fernando 1 View Post
@The Stilt

Thank you very much for your phantastic work.
I can confirm, that the Flashrom tool is able to flawlessly dump the 32MB sized BIOS Region of my ASRock X570 Pro4 and to successfully flash the updated/modded BACKUP.ROM into the SPI Chip of the board.

Since I was not able to get any UBU tool modded BIOS properly flashed into my ASRock X570 Pro4 mainboard by using the in-box Instant Flash tool, it was your friend aGeoM, who encouraged me to try the Flashrom tool and helped me to find the exact BIOS flashing procedure. Meanwhile I have written a short guide into the start post of >this< Win-RAID Forum thread.

Today I wanted to find out, whether it is possible to do it as well by using FREEDOS instead of MS DOS. After having removed the diskcopy.dll file from my Win10 system drive, I created the bootable FREEDOS image by using the original (unpatched) Rufus version 3.10. To my surprise I succeeded with the creation of the BIOS Region dump.

Question to you: Do you think, that it is possible as well to get a modded BIOS properly flashed by using the same FREEDOS USB Stick?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kind regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)
Hi Dieter,

There is no reason why FreeDOS shouldn't work with Flashrom.

The thing is just that I haven't personally used Flashrom with anything else besides MS-DOS, and there are at least few cases where the Flashrom has failed
when it was used under FreeDOS (allegedly). That being said it is impossible to determine whenever the failures have actually had anything to do with FreeDOS itself, or did they occur due to
user actions (error) or hardware instability for instance. In most cases the failures happen due to user error however, since I have no experience on FreeDOS I really have no opinion about the subject.
post #577 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 11:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 24)
@The Stilt
Thanks for your quick reply and for your statement.
I will report here, if I should run into problems with Flashrom due to the usage of a FREEDOS instead of an MS DOS image.

My system:
MB: ASRock X570 Pro4, CPU: Ryzen5 3600, System Drive: 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD, OS: Win10 x64 Pro v2004
post #578 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 09:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Fernando 1 View Post
[MENTION=348110] ...it was your friend aGeoM...
I never said he is my "friend", in terms of knowing him or ever interact with him on any forum, but I truly respect his knowledge as his work and must of all his good will to help the community all over this years asking nothing and offering everything, in that sense, yes... he is my friend and friend of all of us, like many others that I respect silently, but honoring them helping others.
About Flashrom1.1 for Ryzen, I did flash my ASUS STRIX X570-E with FREEDOS bootable USB stick successfully, I also did try flashrom 1.2 even knowing that it have no Ryzen support but I had to try anyway.

My Smarter choice
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
MSI B350 TomaHawk
GPU
Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
RAM
Crucial
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG SSD EVO 850
Power Supply
NOX NX750W
Cooling
AMD Spire
Case
AeroCool Cruiserstar
Operating System
Windows10 x64
▲ hide details ▲
post #579 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 11:20 PM
Stock is too casual~

Rep: 78 (Unique: 46)
@Fernando 1 when you ever get your hands on an SPI flasher
And please take this with untested grain of salt
Can you try to check if the security capsules on current X570 ASRock boards, still align with my findings and attempt
https://twitter.com/VeiiTM/status/1248852503132884992 <- tiny guide

The old UBU Patch method was filling out Capsule:
GUID 414D94AD-998D-47D2-BFCD-4E882241DE32
Subtype GUID: 5A88641B-BBB9-4AA6-80F7-498AE407C31F
With FF, that way purposely disabling verification check after bios-flashing, after post
~ i forgot the user who found it, but it was from the winraid forum

Tho this method is flawed sadly and not what we should aim for,
Once UBU breaks their verification capsule, you have to force flash it via afuefi or flashrom
Although at least it doesn't error out as "unverified bios" and boots up

I found on the "recent" 6.20A bios about 2 months ago a better method but people couldn't verify it till now
8B A6 3C 4A 23 77 FB 48 80 3D 57 8C C1 FE C4 4D for the location lookup anchor and has to stay there
and is found inside:
Capsule, iFlashDXE, SecSMIFLash, Recovery / at least on the 1 partition 16mb bios
Likely it's twice on the X570 Asrock
Spoiler!

Would be great if you could doublecheck when UBU pushes the bios and patches, it if the verification capsule exist twice or there are new links to it
Yes overall, it would be nice if you can check and continue research on that part till the end ~ or forward bit of the research for other ASRock users
I sadly lost resources and the possibility to finish the whitelist since then, although i think the try here should work:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-a...l#post28403358

You can inspect the modules in MODTC to see my changes vs what UBU does patch by the old method ~ or visible via twitter
The only part i needed to finish and explore, was the size of the verification "key"
How much needs to be 00 data and how much needs to be a spaceholder
Well who knows, it might've worked but no one confirmed so far
Overall if you are willing to continue research - resources are linked
I'll finish it someday when i get back on my feet and RL settles
Mentioned you, as i've seen your name over on winraid often enough ~ thought you might be interested as ASRock user

SiSandra Inter-Core Bandwith 14nm Ryzen global #1 | Twitter
Personal Records
RAM > Viper Steel @ 3466C14 (64.2ns) & Alt | Hynix-MFR 3333CL14 (72.5ns) & Alt

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo
post #580 of 590 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 01:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
May I interrupt the Flow just to say something?

It is amazing to see old Win Raid forum guys over here in amd stuff!! It also really seems to symbolize how Intel is behaving in a while.

On the topic, i have a Crosshair VI with flashback and willing to flash anything on it in order to achieve ryzen 4000 boot (I don't care at all of all the boost technologies and PSP securities) or Pciex 4.0.

Thank you guys!

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited by oile; 05-23-2020 at 03:04 AM.

Tags
am4 , bios flash , ryzen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in