Bios (f10a) Gibabyte X570 Auros XTREME AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 B seems to be broken - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bios (f10a) Gibabyte X570 Auros XTREME AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 B seems to be broken

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Bios (f10a) Gibabyte X570 Auros XTREME AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 B seems to be broken

Finally got my X570 Auros Xtreme back from an RMA and I immediately installed the latest bios, which is the AGESA 1.0.0.4 B bios (f10a). Things seemed to work smoothly for 2 days until this morning when I booted up the computer. First thing I noticed is the bios system check kept hanging on error code C 6 and rebooting, then I noticed the RGB lights were back on, after I disabled them. Had to clear the CMOS and now I'm back in the bios but after searching I've read many other people seem to be having issues with the latest bios. Thought I'd post this here. Haven't registered at the Gigabyte forums yet but it seems I might have to.

CPU
Xeon X5690 3.46GHz
Motherboard
Asrock X58 Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GT 210
RAM
Muskin
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Hard Drive
8 x Samsung 1Tb F3
Power Supply
2009 Seasonic X650w Gold
Cooling
Megahalems
Case
ABS Black Pearl
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Professional
Monitor
Asus VG278H
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2 Cherry MX Reds
Mouse
MS Sidewinder X3
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by OCmember; 11-09-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Mine is running f10a since the day i received it, (04.11) no errors so far.
C6 seems to be an reserved error code, so only gigabyte knows which part of the firmware code triggers the hang.

I think gigabyte might want to know about these issues happening for multiple people, so registering and reporting the issue in the gbt forum seems like the best thing to do.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Seems fine the past few hours. I'll keep this updated if anything happens/changes.

Thanks

CPU
Xeon X5690 3.46GHz
Motherboard
Asrock X58 Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GT 210
RAM
Muskin
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Hard Drive
8 x Samsung 1Tb F3
Power Supply
2009 Seasonic X650w Gold
Cooling
Megahalems
Case
ABS Black Pearl
Operating System
Monitor
Asus VG278H
Keyboard
Mouse
MS Sidewinder X3
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:47 AM
The IT guy...

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by OCmember View Post
Finally got my X570 Auros Xtreme back from an RMA and I immediately installed the latest bios, which is the AGESA 1.0.0.4 B bios (f10a). Things seemed to work smoothly for 2 days until this morning when I booted up the computer. First thing I noticed is the bios system check kept hanging on error code C 6 and rebooting, then I noticed the RGB lights were back on, after I disabled them. Had to clear the CMOS and now I'm back in the bios but after searching I've read many other people seem to be having issues with the latest bios. Thought I'd post this here. Haven't registered at the Gigabyte forums yet but it seems I might have to.
You mention that you got your board from RMA... This does not mean they (Gigabyte) have fixed it properly or if replaced with another board, that other board is OK...
I've worked several years in an RMA department and I know that thing may not always be 100% when they leave...
For instance, somebody sends their computer because it is not booting... We test it and it seems that the GPU will not work in this computer any more. That same GPU works on another PC, and the computer works fine with another GPU... Go figure... So the PC is sent to the customer and we have a seemingly working GPU. All test are OK, everything checks out. We now have a GPU that can be used to be replaced somewhere in another system or replaced with another dead GPU.
Some time later a dead GPU comes, same model as the previous one. We send the first one as a replacement. Several days later the GPU is back because the customer's computer is not booting with it...
So after this lengthily explanation, keep in mind that RMA returns may not be 100%...

Your case sounds a little bit like a BIOS corruption issue... Your board should have dual BIOSes so if you experience more issues, you can manually switch to the second BIOS chip and see how the system will behave with it.

Orion-TR4
(12 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Asrock x399 Taichi
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961 Nvme SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Hard Drive
Intel 5400S SATA SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i
Cooling
Custom Loop mostly EKWB
Case
Lian-Li PC-O11 WGX ROG Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by OrionBG View Post
You mention that you got your board from RMA... This does not mean they (Gigabyte) have fixed it properly or if replaced with another board, that other board is OK...
I've worked several years in an RMA department and I know that thing may not always be 100% when they leave...
For instance, somebody sends their computer because it is not booting... We test it and it seems that the GPU will not work in this computer any more. That same GPU works on another PC, and the computer works fine with another GPU... Go figure... So the PC is sent to the customer and we have a seemingly working GPU. All test are OK, everything checks out. We now have a GPU that can be used to be replaced somewhere in another system or replaced with another dead GPU.
Some time later a dead GPU comes, same model as the previous one. We send the first one as a replacement. Several days later the GPU is back because the customer's computer is not booting with it...
So after this lengthily explanation, keep in mind that RMA returns may not be 100%...

Your case sounds a little bit like a BIOS corruption issue... Your board should have dual BIOSes so if you experience more issues, you can manually switch to the second BIOS chip and see how the system will behave with it.
Thanks for the reply. I've always tried ruling out by trouble-shooting the intuitive logical things first. I tried a lot of different configurations aside from pulling the CMOS battery (I was almost convinced it was the issue but I'll never know) I'd hate to think someone in the RMA department was just an average joe like myself but as you have reminded us it's not impossible. I did search a little about the latest f10a bios and others have had issues. The one thing that I did that sticks out in my mind which likely isn't the reason is that I fooled around with some of the buttons on Ryzen Master and then discard the changes. I don't know what I'm doing with Ryzen Master. This is my first AMD machine since 2007-8 (FX60 days, 939 socket) so I am unfamiliar with AMD things.

The first thing I did before the RMA was try to update the bios by Q-Flash on the rear I/O panel. I did update the bios when I got the board back through the Q-Flash in the bios while the dual bios was enabled. It should have updated both the main and backup bios, correct? How can I verify that?

CPU
Xeon X5690 3.46GHz
Motherboard
Asrock X58 Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GT 210
RAM
Muskin
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Hard Drive
8 x Samsung 1Tb F3
Power Supply
2009 Seasonic X650w Gold
Cooling
Megahalems
Case
ABS Black Pearl
Operating System
Monitor
Asus VG278H
Keyboard
Mouse
MS Sidewinder X3
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:18 AM
The IT guy...

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Thanks for the reply. I've always tried ruling out by trouble-shooting the intuitive logical things first. I tried a lot of different configurations aside from pulling the CMOS battery (I was almost convinced it was the issue but I'll never know) I'd hate to think someone in the RMA department was just an average joe like myself but as you have reminded us it's not impossible. I did search a little about the latest f10a bios and others have had issues. The one thing that I did that sticks out in my mind which likely isn't the reason is that I fooled around with some of the buttons on Ryzen Master and then discard the changes. I don't know what I'm doing with Ryzen Master. This is my first AMD machine since 2007-8 (FX60 days, 939 socket) so I am unfamiliar with AMD things.

The first thing I did before the RMA was try to update the bios by Q-Flash on the rear I/O panel. I did update the bios when I got the board back through the Q-Flash in the bios while the dual bios was enabled. It should have updated both the main and backup bios, correct? How can I verify that?
The only way to be sure if both BIOSes are updated is to switch between them and check the version. Also, at least to my knowledge, when you update the BIOS, only the currently selected BIOS chip is updated. To update the other, you need to switch to it first. There should be two small switches neat the bottom right corner of the board. one of them should be BIOS select and the other to enable or disable the automatic BIOS switching on boot failure.

Orion-TR4
(12 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Asrock x399 Taichi
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961 Nvme SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Hard Drive
Intel 5400S SATA SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i
Cooling
Custom Loop mostly EKWB
Case
Lian-Li PC-O11 WGX ROG Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by OrionBG View Post
The only way to be sure if both BIOSes are updated is to switch between them and check the version. Also, at least to my knowledge, when you update the BIOS, only the currently selected BIOS chip is updated. To update the other, you need to switch to it first. There should be two small switches neat the bottom right corner of the board. one of them should be BIOS select and the other to enable or disable the automatic BIOS switching on boot failure.
Last two versions (if I recall correctly) for Xtreme have a checkbox to update 2nd BIOS along with the main BIOS.

R7 3800X
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
GPU
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG STRIX GAMING O11G 11GB DDR5X 352-bit
RAM
F4-3600C18Q-64GTZN
Hard Drive
GIGABYTE AORUS 1TB PCI Express 4.0 x4 M.2 2280
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf 8TB SATA-III 7200RPM 256MB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra , 80+ Titanium, 750 W
Cooling
Fractal Design Celsius S36 Black
Case
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Gunmetal
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 1903
Monitor
Dell S2417DG
Keyboard
Razer DeathStalker Chroma
Mouse
Razer Abbysus v2
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Deepcuts View Post
Last two versions (if I recall correctly) for Xtreme have a checkbox to update 2nd BIOS along with the main BIOS.
Maybe I didn't see it from the bios being old? Actually I don't remember what bios I updated from but I don't remember seeing a checkbox for updating both bios'

btw, how do I delete a bios profile? While I was looking around the Q-flash section I saved a bios, but shouldn't there be an option to delete a bios profile, also? I'm not seeing it.

CPU
Xeon X5690 3.46GHz
Motherboard
Asrock X58 Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GT 210
RAM
Muskin
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Hard Drive
8 x Samsung 1Tb F3
Power Supply
2009 Seasonic X650w Gold
Cooling
Megahalems
Case
ABS Black Pearl
Operating System
Monitor
Asus VG278H
Keyboard
Mouse
MS Sidewinder X3
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
btw, how do I delete a bios profile? While I was looking around the Q-flash section I saved a bios, but shouldn't there be an option to delete a bios profile, also? I'm not seeing it.
You cannot delete a profile.
A re-flash will do that if you really want that.

R7 3800X
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
GPU
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG STRIX GAMING O11G 11GB DDR5X 352-bit
RAM
F4-3600C18Q-64GTZN
Hard Drive
GIGABYTE AORUS 1TB PCI Express 4.0 x4 M.2 2280
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf 8TB SATA-III 7200RPM 256MB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra , 80+ Titanium, 750 W
Cooling
Fractal Design Celsius S36 Black
Case
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Gunmetal
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 1903
Monitor
Dell S2417DG
Keyboard
Razer DeathStalker Chroma
Mouse
Razer Abbysus v2
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Deepcuts View Post
You cannot delete a profile.
A re-flash will do that if you really want that.
OK, thanks for the help

Have a good one

CPU
Xeon X5690 3.46GHz
Motherboard
Asrock X58 Extreme
GPU
EVGA GeForce GT 210
RAM
Muskin
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Hard Drive
8 x Samsung 1Tb F3
Power Supply
2009 Seasonic X650w Gold
Cooling
Megahalems
Case
ABS Black Pearl
Operating System
Monitor
Asus VG278H
Keyboard
Mouse
MS Sidewinder X3
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in