TRX40 - which mobo? - Page 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

TRX40 - which mobo?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:24 PM
The IT guy...
 
OrionBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 386
Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by keeph8n View Post
Bios and PCB on ZEII is more than adequate so I'm not sure what you are referring to
The VRM of the ZEII is also supposedly fully capable of burning a 3990x twice with power but they still released a new board to "support" it.
ASUS have been doing this for quite a while... as far back as the Crosshair Hero VI and probably even before. They release a board, than customers find some issues with down the road, and ASUS, instead of trying to fix the issue for those people, they just release a new revision or a new model and the previous one is forgotten.
I'm not saying the ZEII is bad, actually it was my second choice If I could not find the board I wanted, but after that low blow with the ZEAII I will think very hard before getting an ASUS product in the future.
That is just a personal opinion and does NOT entail anything more!

T.I.T.A.N.
(14 items)
CPU
Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard
Aorus TRx40 Xtreme
GPU
EVGA RTX2080Ti XC
GPU
EVGA RTX2080Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 8x8GB 3200MHz CAS14
Hard Drive
SP P34A80
Hard Drive
SP P34A80
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961
Power Supply
Corsair AX1600i
Cooling
Custom Loop Water Cooling
Case
Raijintek Enyo
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
LG 55" OLED B9
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Omni 5.1
▲ hide details ▲
OrionBG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 06:53 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
tien113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 34
Rep: 0
you should be careful with gigabyte. I have very bad experience with X570 Aorus Master because of suck bios. you should go with asus for bios stability and oc reliability.
tien113 is offline  
post #93 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 09:25 PM
The IT guy...
 
OrionBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 386
Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by tien113 View Post
you should be careful with gigabyte. I have very bad experience with X570 Aorus Master because of suck bios. you should go with asus for bios stability and oc reliability.
I'm going with the Aorus TRX40 Extreme and this thing is built like a tank! I have not had the "pleasure" to see the BIOS yet but according to all the reviews I've seen, it should be quite a good one.
I also did have bad experiences with Gigabyte in the past (the Socket A era) but I finally decided to give the another chance.
I'll probably be beginning my build soon so we will see...

T.I.T.A.N.
(14 items)
CPU
Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard
Aorus TRx40 Xtreme
GPU
EVGA RTX2080Ti XC
GPU
EVGA RTX2080Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 8x8GB 3200MHz CAS14
Hard Drive
SP P34A80
Hard Drive
SP P34A80
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961
Power Supply
Corsair AX1600i
Cooling
Custom Loop Water Cooling
Case
Raijintek Enyo
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
LG 55" OLED B9
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Omni 5.1
▲ hide details ▲
OrionBG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 05:30 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
keeph8n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 118
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by OrionBG View Post
The VRM of the ZEII is also supposedly fully capable of burning a 3990x twice with power but they still released a new board to "support" it.
ASUS have been doing this for quite a while... as far back as the Crosshair Hero VI and probably even before. They release a board, than customers find some issues with down the road, and ASUS, instead of trying to fix the issue for those people, they just release a new revision or a new model and the previous one is forgotten.
I'm not saying the ZEII is bad, actually it was my second choice If I could not find the board I wanted, but after that low blow with the ZEAII I will think very hard before getting an ASUS product in the future.
That is just a personal opinion and does NOT entail anything more!

That is your opinion/perogative. I have the ZEII and the ZEAII is on the way.

https://hwbot.org/user/keeph8n
3970X on ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha II
10900X/10980XE on ASUS Rampage VI Apex/Encore
10900K on ASUS Apex XII
3800X/3800XT on ASUS Impact VIII

Streacom BC1 | EVGA 1600T2 | KPC T-Rex/Inferno/ICON/KPx | G.Skill Memory
keeph8n is offline  
post #95 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 07:22 PM
The IT guy...
 
OrionBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 386
Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by keeph8n View Post
That is your opinion/perogative. I have the ZEII and the ZEAII is on the way.
Absolutely! This is why there are different choices so people can choose!
Anyway with the recent reports of ZEII VRMs cooking themselves, I'm confident of my choice.
I hope you will not have any issues with your boards also!

T.I.T.A.N.
(14 items)
CPU
Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard
Aorus TRx40 Xtreme
GPU
EVGA RTX2080Ti XC
GPU
EVGA RTX2080Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 8x8GB 3200MHz CAS14
Hard Drive
SP P34A80
Hard Drive
SP P34A80
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961
Power Supply
Corsair AX1600i
Cooling
Custom Loop Water Cooling
Case
Raijintek Enyo
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
LG 55" OLED B9
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Omni 5.1
▲ hide details ▲
OrionBG is offline  
post #96 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 09:14 PM
Invalid Media
 
J7SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,787
Rep: 81 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by OrionBG View Post
I'm going with the Aorus TRX40 Extreme and this thing is built like a tank! I have not had the "pleasure" to see the BIOS yet but according to all the reviews I've seen, it should be quite a good one.
I also did have bad experiences with Gigabyte in the past (the Socket A era) but I finally decided to give the another chance.
I'll probably be beginning my build soon so we will see...

...I'm getting close to make a choice between the Aorus TRX40 Extreme (tops ) and the more affordable MSI TRX40 'Creator' myself for my next build. I used to buy Asus exclusively for mobos (business + personal). But since X99 XOC pins, top of the line boards from Asus turned into a continuous bad experience, including early bios settings (example: default / auto VCCSA @ 1.43v+... )

I have had nothing but trouble free and great oc'ing with the MSI X399 Creation on my 2nd gen Threadripper, and every Gigabyte / Aorus mobo and GPU has been 100% trouble-free since s.th. like 2012 onward
J7SC is offline  
post #97 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 09:25 PM
Still here...
 
iamjanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,567
Rep: 147 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
...I'm getting close to make a choice between the Aorus TRX40 Extreme (tops ) and the more affordable MSI TRX40 'Creator' myself for my next build. I used to buy Asus exclusively for mobos (business + personal). But since X99 XOC pins, top of the line boards from Asus turned into a continuous bad experience, including early bios settings (example: default / auto VCCSA @ 1.43v+... )

I have had nothing but trouble free and great oc'ing with the MSI X399 Creation on my 2nd gen Threadripper, and every Gigabyte / Aorus mobo and GPU has been 100% trouble-free since s.th. like 2012 onward
I was actually wondering about your thoughts on the best TRX40 mb to get before I made the decision to wait on Zen 3. I too read too much in the way of bad as far as ASUS boards (and support) go, and was leaning toward the Aorus TRX40 Extreme at the time. Haven't used anything from MSI in a while other than their 1080 Seahawk EK X cards, and it's good to see some honest feedback about your experience with the MSI mbs.

on the road to knowhere, having jaba at someplace;
pondering quantum physics through the lint in someone's bellybutton.


iamjanco is offline  
post #98 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 09:40 PM
Invalid Media
 
J7SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,787
Rep: 81 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
I was actually wondering about your thoughts on the best TRX40 mb to get before I made the decision to wait on Zen 3. I too read too much in the way of bad as far as ASUS boards (and support) go, and was leaning toward the Aorus TRX40 Extreme at the time. Haven't used anything from MSI in a while other than their 1080 Seahawk EK X cards, and it's good to see some honest feedback about your experience with the MSI mbs.

I actually have more than one type of MSI X399 mobo...none has ever given me any troubles, and that is all on original Bios. No issues with Win10, no issues with memory compatibility (ie using Intel memory 'off' QVL for AMD, and then oc'ing like mad on super-tight settings) etc etc. I was kind of surprised myself...

That said, the Aorus TRX40 look$ like the one to beat in the current AMD TR cycle, but given my experiences with MSI (and the fact that both use that Infineon super-mega server VRM IC, and both come with those nifty PCIe4 / 4x M.2 expander cards) it is going to be a tough choice. BTW, I know that ASRock is also in that spec-game, but I have no experience with those, yet...
J7SC is offline  
post #99 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 12:54 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
malakudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 103
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by pastor View Post
On blender 2.81a the loading phase of the bench is very slow 3 or 5 minutes !?
I got 7m 49s on victor. u got 54s less !!! but I couln't find the barbershop bench !?? are you sure you are using the last blender benchmark 2.81a cpu mode ? ( https://opendata.blender.org/ )
....
What is your ambiant temperature ?
Sorry for the late answer, I wasn't notified for your reply and didn't noticed it myself. It seems blender benchmark removed barbershop at some point in time but I still had it downloaded in cached files so it was still used. When I cleared everything, it didn't redownloaded it. So it seems is removed now. My ambient was 23C when I tested. My RAM runs at 3600 CL16 4*16GB Crucial Micron E-Die. If you get so lower performance, you probably have Core Performance Boost disabled (which would explain lower temps as well). Check BIOS and even if it is on AUTO, change it to Enabled and try again.
malakudi is offline  
post #100 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 04:12 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
aTsgRe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 79
Rep: 0
I am also one of the "lucky" users of Zenith Extreme and it has been a nightmare from the start. I am looking to upgrade to sTRX40 as it seems a more mature platform in general; I will also be going for the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme, not only it has the best vrm implementation of the lot - it also has (dual!) Intel 10Gbe and not the crappy Aquantia ones ASUS puts has the audacity to put in a 800 £ motherboard... for those that need that functionality (like me) its a godsend.

We also get the nice PCI-e 4.0 nvme card, which is an added bonus; this won't be an overclocking hobby board rather than a workstation build, so don't care about the bling too much (if at all).

aTsgRe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off