TRX40 - which mobo? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

TRX40 - which mobo?

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102 (Unique: 71)
TRX40 - which mobo?

So far I'm liking the Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME with the least amount of bling and the right-angle mobo connectors. The ASRock TRX40 Taichi seems to be the only mobo with an aluminum VRM heatsink with active cooling but the steampunk styling is bleh.

Has anyone heard when we'll start seeing real in-depth reviews of these?

1950x_was_on_sale
(7 items)
CPU
1950x
Motherboard
MSI MEG Creation
GPU
GTX 1070
RAM
G.Skill FlareX (F4-3200C14-8FGX
Hard Drive
NVME Pro 512G
Power Supply
Seasonic
Case
Fractal XLR2
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 776 (Unique: 355)
Quote: Originally Posted by ugotd8 View Post
So far I'm liking the Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME with the least amount of bling and the right-angle mobo connectors.
Yeah quite like that, but if this price is right ...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
trx40 gigabyte extreme has inferior heatsinks to b570 board ... and it has two or 3 actives fans.. one on chipset and 2 on io plate. why they did not take design from mainstream i dunno. It bad move thh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:36 AM
The IT guy...

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by MacMus View Post
trx40 gigabyte extreme has inferior heatsinks to b570 board ... and it has two or 3 actives fans.. one on chipset and 2 on io plate. why they did not take design from mainstream i dunno. It bad move thh.
Are you sure about those fans? What I'm seeing are real finned heatsinks with heatpipes. Only the chipset has a fan. The board with 2 additional fans and ugly aluminum heatsinks is the ASUS Zenith 2 Extreme..
The only problem with that board is that it would probably be even more expensive than the Zenith 2 Extreme... judging be the X570 model's price...

Orion-TR4
(12 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Asrock x399 Taichi
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961 Nvme SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Hard Drive
Intel 5400S SATA SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i
Cooling
Custom Loop mostly EKWB
Case
Lian-Li PC-O11 WGX ROG Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by OrionBG; 11-10-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Meddling user

It has a fan for the VRM under IO AFAIK.

Spoiler!

Don't think they skimped on heatsinks though, right GAX TRX40, left GAX X570.

Spoiler!

On the ZEA the 2 fans rarely come on with a 1950X OC'd and that's with low airflow in the case, fully controlable via UEFI profile and have fan stop feature. From my experience as long as a board allows control over the onboard fans I have no issue with them being there TBH.

Going by the current info on pricing I do whelp at the thought of what Z2E may cost...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:10 AM
The IT guy...

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
It has a fan for the VRM under IO AFAIK.

Don't think they skimped on heatsinks though, right GAX TRX40, left GAX X570.

On the ZEA the 2 fans rarely come on with a 1950X OC'd and that's with low airflow in the case, fully controlable via UEFI profile and have fan stop feature. From my experience as long as a board allows control over the onboard fans I have no issue with them being there TBH.

Going by the current info on pricing I do whelp at the thought of what Z2E may cost...
OK, I stand corrected. but yeah, if there is any control over the fan, I don't think there will be any issues.
The price question really scares me... I really don't want to spend 1000+ Euro on a mainboard...

Orion-TR4
(12 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Asrock x399 Taichi
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung PM961 Nvme SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Hard Drive
Intel 5400S SATA SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i
Cooling
Custom Loop mostly EKWB
Case
Lian-Li PC-O11 WGX ROG Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:14 PM
Meddling user

Quote: Originally Posted by OrionBG View Post
OK, I stand corrected. but yeah, if there is any control over the fan, I don't think there will be any issues.
The price question really scares me... I really don't want to spend 1000+ Euro on a mainboard...
Z2E uses a standard 4 pin fan header for the VRM HS fans like the ZEA. So stock fans could be disconnected/removed, a bigger fan located in case could act as VRM fan. Below is page from ZEA, HS Fan header is the VRM fans header.

Spoiler!

I don't think the price on THG are unrealistic at present, X570 saw a similar bump over X370/X470, as an example C6H/C7H was say ~£200, C8H is ~£350...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 34 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by ugotd8 View Post
So far I'm liking the Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME with the least amount of bling and the right-angle mobo connectors. The ASRock TRX40 Taichi seems to be the only mobo with an aluminum VRM heatsink with active cooling but the steampunk styling is bleh.

Has anyone heard when we'll start seeing real in-depth reviews of these?

For my ' ' , it is between the MSI trx40 'Creator' and the Gigabyte Aorus trx40 'Master', both with a similar VRM (16+3 Infineon). The Aorus trx40 'Extreme' has the same VRM and ALL the bells and whistles and bling, but the 'Master' makes more sense to me ...Ultimately comes down to pricing between MSI and Aorus in relation to your IO and connectivity needs
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by OrionBG View Post
Price will be around 900$ with tax probably 1k.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:49 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 908 (Unique: 590)
I'm way late to this discussion but if AM4 is any to go by, wait for extensive reviews (by people unafraid to disassemble their motherboards & use industrial grade equipment for testing such as IgorsLab) especially with the amount of money you would be dropping on a TRX40 board. A TRX40 board isn't for gaming so you would want a stable board BIOS.

There's mention of 90A powerstages by Asrock and MSI, but there is no model number given so you have to be skeptical. You can't fully judge thermal performance by the heatsinking since the efficiency of the powerstages also matters.

The powerstages and PWM layout determine the heat output , the heatsink only sinks the heat into the air (which is how well it cools the board components down). For example, MSI completely failed with X570 low end <$200 boards despite being the best or one of the best for B450. Brand loyalty and only reading marketing is a surefire way to buy something under-performing.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in