MSI B350 PC MATE beta bios broke m-flash - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

MSI B350 PC MATE beta bios broke m-flash

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
MSI B350 PC MATE beta bios broke m-flash

Hello,

some time ago I have updated the BIOS of my motherboard to a beta version that was on the official bios download page (7A34vALM, not available there anymore), since previously each bios update added new features and improved memory compatibility, and there were no warnings on the page, I didn't expect any issues. Initially I noticed faster boot times so I was happy with it. Unfortunately as it turns out the PC tends to crash sometimes with this BIOS version (mostly on windows which I fortunately don't use much). I decided to roll back to a previous one. I did the usual procedure: downloaded the file from the website and put it on a pendrive, connected the pendrive and booted into the "M-Flash" mode, to my surprise the drive list there was empty, showing only one entry that looked something along the lines of 'FS0: <empty string>', when I tried to select it, some message about no file or something along these lines popped up with the option to boot back to BIOS. Sending it to a service center would be quite inconvenient so I would be really happy if I could fix it myself.

I have searched for other ways to flash the BIOS but the live update tool linked on support page for this motherboard just said I'm on the latest version so there's nothing to do. I found "AMI Tool" mentioned somewhere so I downloaded the latest version from AMI website and tried using it with the update files from MSI website, neither the Windows nor the UEFI versions seemed to work (In the UEFI version I used /P /B /K options and on windows I used the GUI with the equivalent options selected, both with two different versions of the update file from the MSI website), on windows it mentioned something about it not matching the current ROM and in EFI shell for the older version (7A34vAJ) it didn't seem to recognize it and for the newer (7A34ALP) it failed to verify some checksums (I've tried redownloading both files).

After more digging I have found this thread https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-a...correctly.html which shows a different way of flashing the bios with the AMI UEFI tool.
1. It seems to show different file formats (or just extensions?) than the official updates, possibly this tool doesn't read this format and that's the reason why it didn't work?
2. Can I flash the modified bios as per that guide and then go from that to official 7A34vAJ? (I would consider using the modified one if it works well too) or maybe just flash the official update file somehow with it?
3. This guide seems to tell you to wipe and reflash all the memory of the BIOS chip, does that include any stuff like serial number, mac address, etc or is this stored somewhere else?
4. Should I be asking about it in that thread instead? Is there any documentation of this stuff you know of that I have missed? Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any answers

skull.gif [Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club skull.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 627 (Unique: 342)
that sucks

I can't even get m-flash to work on my MSI-MPG(97K). Get the disk all done up, but it never sees the bios.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 02:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 861 (Unique: 329)
If you're certain that you are trying to flash the correct bios file and the files you are trying to flash aren't corrupted, you should be able to use these instructions: https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-a...s-3rd-gen.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
If you're certain that you are trying to flash the correct bios file and the files you are trying to flash aren't corrupted, you should be able to use these instructions: https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-a...s-3rd-gen.html
I mean, I downloaded the file from the official bios download page for this mobo on MSI's website so I'm pretty sure it's the correct one. It is exactly 16MiB too so that would match such bios image I suppose.
EDIT: I've also checked sha512 sums of the file downloaded 2 times and they match so it's probably not corrupted.

Last edited by Mckol; 11-28-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update: I have bricked the motherboard

So, I have tried using the version of the tool linked in the thread I linked in OP, it had no issues reading the bios file and reported no errors while flashing the bios.
After a reboot the motherboard no longer posts. I have first ran Afuefix64 name_bios.cap /P /B /K, then Afuefix64 name_bios.cap /N /CLRCFG, I didn't run the other tool since I figured that if I was not installing a modified bios or anything this should be good, I have tried unplugging the pc, taking out the cmos battery for a few minutes. The motherboard doesn't support flashback nor does it have dual bios.

I suppose at this point my only option is to contact MSI support and get it fixed by them. If anyone has other suggestions I'm willing to try them too first though.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have realized that the board is out of warranty, so RMA won't really work, but I have looked around and it seems that you can flash the bios chip externally with an SPI programmer using the JSPI header on the motherboard, I've found the exact bios chip model and the datasheet so I'm gonna research that and maybe give it a try. I've also found an ebay seller who provides bios chips for various motherboards including mine for $10, but that would be a considerably more messy solution.

If anyone has any experience with doing this I'd appreciate any advice. Well, regardless, hopefully I can do it and maybe learn something in the process

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in