The right motherboard and brand help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

The right motherboard and brand help

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
The right motherboard and brand help

hi all,

i have always bought asus motherboards and nothing ealse but i would like to know why people are saying the gigabytes are good. I have herd gigabyte motherboards never realy used good quality components otr has that changed this time, What about Asus ? have they went down hill or have gigabyte upped there game ? its just i remember years ago people who bought gigabyte where the cheaper not as good brand.

I have not built a pc in 10 years as i am looking to upgrade so just needed some advice on this as to be honest never bought AMD to as i am looking to change

thanks for any advice on what board to go for as i am looking for a real solid board but not the silly priced versions.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:00 AM
I don't exist

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Gigabyte makes some really good motherboards. From my experience working in hardware retail. they have a better reliability as well. Asus generally has better warranty service in case something goes wrong. You'll have to decide if that's worth the slight premium

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 02:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by meridius View Post
hi all,

i have always bought asus motherboards and nothing ealse but i would like to know why people are saying the gigabytes are good. I have herd gigabyte motherboards never realy used good quality components otr has that changed this time, What about Asus ? have they went down hill or have gigabyte upped there game ? its just i remember years ago people who bought gigabyte where the cheaper not as good brand.

I have not built a pc in 10 years as i am looking to upgrade so just needed some advice on this as to be honest never bought AMD to as i am looking to change

thanks for any advice on what board to go for as i am looking for a real solid board but not the silly priced versions.

thanks
What are we talking About?
AM4-Plattform? Boards for Ryzen?
TRX40 for Threadripper?

What is your Budget?
What are the Features you need/want?

Gigabyte make good boards - BIOS is a little shaky at times - but depends - for AM4/x570 - the Aorus Master is a great board especially if you want OC capabilities - the Xtreme has the best VRM but a hefty premium...

MSI make also some very good boards for x570 and is praised for their easy to use BIOS.
ASrock has some with TB3 (namely the ASRock Creator x570 and the most expensive board for x570 the Asrock aqua) if you need that.
Asus is good on with the cheapest x570 board that isn't crap - Asus Tuf gaming x570 - but AFAIR none of their boards in the upper end for AM4 are particular good compared to the others.

Greetings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

HI all thanks for the help, sorry i thought i said this is for a 3900x Chip, I never bought anything but Asus but herd they are not as good now and are very expensive for what they are now.

I have not had any problems with asus but my last board was 6 years ago i think and on a intel system as i have neve rowned or built a AMD system so i thought i would ask.

I was looking at the gigabyte master but have herd they have had alot of problems with there bios but i am not to sure if thats the norm these days even on intel ? as todays motherboards seem to be doing alot more than they used to be in with onbaord hardware. I know the master has had some time fixing alot of stuff bt just wanted to ask what people thought.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 01:03 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 590 (Unique: 462)
HI all thanks for the help, sorry i thought i said this is for a 3900x Chip, I never bought anything but Asus but herd they are not as good now and are very expensive for what they are now.

I have not had any problems with asus but my last board was 6 years ago i think and on a intel system as i have neve rowned or built a AMD system so i thought i would ask.

I was looking at the gigabyte master but have herd they have had alot of problems with there bios but i am not to sure if thats the norm these days even on intel ? as todays motherboards seem to be doing alot more than they used to be in with onbaord hardware. I know the master has had some time fixing alot of stuff bt just wanted to ask what people thought.
To be honest take your pick of the higher tier boards from any of the top brands(Asus,ASRock,Biostar,Gigabyte,MSi,etc.)
The cheap ones get spotty updates and cheaper components.
Don't go with a just-released board if you don't want the hassles of working out the bugs.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
I never bought anything but Asus but herd they are not as good now and are very expensive for what they are now.

I'm a long time Asus customer and not just their MBs. That being said, over the last couple of years their quality has slacked off some. Don't get me wrong, they still make good quality boards, and in my opinion they still make the best MBs on the market, but their quality isn't at the level it was even 2 years ago.

All I build is Intel, so know nothing about AMD boards, use to be AMD chips were fickle when it came to RAM but from what I'm seeing they may have worked that out.

Asus has the best BIOS in the industry. I've built computers for several customers over the last few months with boards from MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte, and ASUS. I prefer ASUSs BIOS first, next best BIOS setup is ASRock IMHO.

I go on NewEgg a lot just looking at parts I see a lot of MSI and Gigabyte refurbished boards listed all the time. Referbs are boards that were sold new, had problems and are suppose to be "fixed". I don't trust referb components, if a manufactures QC process missed what ever the problem was then what else did they miss? Why do they have so many referbs on the market? Plus with so many referbs on the market places, makes me wonder about their quality all around.

Open Air Build
(13 items)
CPU
i9
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
GPU
MSI GEFORCE GTX1080 TI GAMING X 11G
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA
Cooling
All PrimoChill parts (Rad 360, Pumps D5, Fittings, and Acrylic Tubing), Byskey CPU&GPU Blocks
Case
Praxis Wet Bench
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus Predrator
Other
Thermaltake Commander F6 Fan Controller
Other
DIY Sleeved Cables
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 05:01 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 115 (Unique: 78)
Hi,
Not sure about the amd side of the pond but intel I've had pretty good luck with tuf series boards
x99 sabertooth still in commission and tuf mark 2 on x299 does better than an apex.

There is a ocn amd mother board thread on the tuf series and says it's pretty good.

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 05:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have bad luck with asus. All the stuff I bought stopped working shortly after the warranty was over. The latest being an asus monitor mg279q which has 2 vertical lines(for now, it used to be one) on it.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 115 (Unique: 78)
Quote: Originally Posted by RyuKobs View Post
I have bad luck with asus. All the stuff I bought stopped working shortly after the warranty was over. The latest being an asus monitor mg279q which has 2 vertical lines(for now, it used to be one) on it.
Hi,
Kind of the good thing about tuf series 5 year warranty.

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Head Smeghead of OCN

Rep: 182 (Unique: 132)
Word I've seen over the past few years tells me Asus has taken a tumble in quality, esp with things BIOS related.
The components used to make them are still good to top quality, the noted issue(s) are it's almost like they forgot how to write a good, bug-free BIOS file - Similar thing Gigabyte has going on in the days of AM3/AM3+ with their BIOS woes.

ASRock has come up in quality and performance, no question of it and even MSI has made strides in the right direction it seems, at least there haven't been any reports of rampant VRM death going around as of late (With AM4) which is a good thing. Gigabyte from what I can tell is getting better, they still have work to do but better is better at least.

The MSI MEG ACE board I have seems good and the BIOS itself (Once you figure out the nomenclature) is actually pretty good itself.

Personal result from mine: https://hwbot.org/submission/4285521_

I have seen others say the newest BIOS files killed off performance a little for the ACE as an example and will say if it's something security related or to fix functionality/support issues I'd do the BIOS update.
However as long as neither of the previous applies I'd leave it alone and enjoy the board - And that's for any board make/model.

I currently have a X470 Tachi Ultimate (Daily) and the ACE for now as my AM4 benching board.

The above is simply what I've observed from my singular viewpoint since Socket AM4 was released and a personal take on all that.
Doesn't mean it's actually "Right", just an observation here and only applies to AMD boards with Intel based boards being a different matter.

If I had to choose a board today I'd go ASRock first, MSI second, Asus and Gigabyte being a tossup for third.

If anyone else has had a different experience with theirs, speak up please and let us (And the OP) know!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in