Help setting up all the RGB wiring on new build with MSI x570 Unify - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Help setting up all the RGB wiring on new build with MSI x570 Unify

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 40)
I can't find a generic build subforum here... so this seemed like the most appropriate place for this question...

I pulled the trigger on all the parts for my new build and they arrived this weekend. Specs lower in the post. I am a complete and total noob on wiring leds and rgbs and would love some assistance. I have watched videos and read forums, read the manuals and checked the diagrams. They don't show anything useful, they just seem to assume you know what to plug where... I just don't want to mess this up.

Essentially I'm wondering how I am supposed to wire up all the fans, RGB fans, RGB AIO, and case RGB properly. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I'm asking for assistance rather than wiring it wrong. Please have mercy on a wiring noob and help me get this right 🙂

Specs...
Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 case white
PSU: Corsair RM 850x White
Motherboard: MSI x570 Unify
Storage: Mushkin Pilot M.2 NVMe SSD 2TB
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
CPU cooler: DeepCool Captain 240RGB v2 AIO
RAM GSkill Trident Z Neo 32gb 3200
GPU: 2x MSI GTX 1070 Quicksilver in SLI (harvested from last PC)

The Lancool 2 came with 3 non-RGB fans. I stole 2 and put them on the cooler radiator mounted in the front as intake, and put the third on the front as intake. I have 3 deepcool RGB fans (2 from the AIO and one copy purchased separately) to mount as exhaust; 2 at top and one at rear. So 3 RGB fans total.

The Lancool 2 case also has front panel RGB lights.

The AIO also has RGB lights on the block.
The GPUs and RAM have RGB but have no external wires so no problem.

So I need to figure out how to connect the 3 fans, one AIO block, and Lancool 2 case lights and have them able to all sync up if possible. And I have no clue how to do that.

Each RGB fan has 3 wires; a 4 pin male, a 4 pin female and what appears to be another 4 pin female to connect to other fans or RGB synced things maybe?
The AIO has multiple wires also. None of these manuals even have words anymore, in paper or online. Just pictures that don't even show the wiring process at all...

This motherboard has 2 Addressable RGB headers and 2 more regular RGB headers I think. Also has a spot for CPU fan, sys fan, and CPU/pump.

I assume the cooler block power goes to the CPU/pump header, and that the non-rgb intake fans go to the sysfans... But how do I string up all the RGB stuff? I assume I chain the RGB plugs from fan 1 into the female header type plug on fan 2, then from fan 2 to fan 3, then from fan 3 to the addressable Mobo header? And use the other addressable header for the CPU block? But then what about the case RGB. Maybe there's like a splitter in all the accessories somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

The enemy's gate is down.

[NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club]

Last edited by RomeSC; 01-12-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)

https://www.primochill.com/collectio...s-b-mbdt-1to10

Open Air Build
(13 items)
CPU
i9
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
GPU
MSI GEFORCE GTX1080 TI GAMING X 11G
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA
Cooling
All PrimoChill parts (Rad 360, Pumps D5, Fittings, and Acrylic Tubing), Byskey CPU&GPU Blocks
Case
Praxis Wet Bench
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus Predrator
Other
Thermaltake Commander F6 Fan Controller
Other
DIY Sleeved Cables
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by smilinjohn View Post
Thanks for the reply. I had not considered a hub like that. Although my very long post is, well, long... Is there a way to wire this all up using just what I have that you are aware of?

If using a hub like that, would there then just be extra wires from the fans to tuck away?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Pictures for reference...

Also, I did buy a hub from Amazon just now because it will get here tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KY...b_b_prod_image

Looks like a 3 pin header coming from the case cables? I assume that means it will allow whatever is plugged into it to be controlled by the physical case RGB buttons. Again mention of this is not in the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200113_133348_1578940710241.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	318570  

Name:	20200113_133612_1578940726463.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	318572  

Name:	20200113_133541_1578940737248.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	318574  

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post
Thanks for the reply. I had not considered a hub like that. Although my very long post is, well, long... Is there a way to wire this all up using just what I have that you are aware of?
Your case didn't come with a hub for the included LEDs and fans? Start there if it did, I personally remove the case hubs and fans unless it's a customers case and even then I typically change them out.

Unless you have the MB headers to support all of those LED connections then you have limited options:

1) A hub like the one I linked would allow you to sync all LEDs from one headed provided that the LEDs in question are addressable and the fans have separate LED plugs

2) Splinters tying several devices together to an available header(s) this would allow you to sync the LEDs through multiple headers

3) Use the available headers and when you run out the other LEDs stay dark

4) They all stay dark and you don't use the LEDs at all.

The only issue with using a hub is when you need 3 pin AND 4 pin LED headers. What I linked will only accommodate 4 pin plugs. They make other hubs, may even make mixed hubs or adapters I don't know, I only have 1 - 3 pin LED component and it's plugged straight to the MB my other components with LEDs are 4 pin connectors those go to my hub that is plugged into a 4 pin LED header on the MB, but not because I don't have the headers for them in my case it has more to do with wire management concerns.

If using a hub like that, would there then just be extra wires from the fans to tuck away?
I'm not familiar enough with those fans to say what wires do what, all of my fans have one connector, even the LED fans (that I'm not using ATM) that I do have are one cable and are single color red.

Open Air Build
(13 items)
CPU
i9
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA
Cooling
All PrimoChill parts (Rad 360, Pumps D5, Fittings, and Acrylic Tubing), Byskey CPU&GPU Blocks
Case
Praxis Wet Bench
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus Predrator
Other
Other
DIY Sleeved Cables
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The case did not come with a hub. My motherboard has 2 addressable 3pin RGB headers, and 2 more 4pin RGB headers.

The picture I linked of the "RGB fan cables" are the cables coming off just one fan. I assume one is power, one is RGB and one is to chain other RGB fans together?

If the case cables "provide" an extra addressable RGB header, as I am guessing from please see picture, then could I plug the case RGB into an adressable RGB header on the motherboard, and then plug the AIO RGB cable into the case 3 pin header, and plug RGB fan1 into the AIO male cable, and then plug RGB fan2 into RGB fan1 male cable, etc, so that the only one plugged into the motherboard ueader is the case, and this would allow the case buttons to control the entire RGB color system?

If so I would probably just do that, but I don't know if that's how it works.

And that's just the led cables ... Does each fan also need to plug into a motherboard header to get power? Bah I'm confused. This is what happens when I don't build a PC in 7 years ...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

The case did not come with a hub. My motherboard has 2 addressable 3pin RGB headers, and 2 more 4pin RGB headers.

The picture I linked of the "RGB fan cables" are the cables coming off just one fan. I assume one is power, one is RGB and one is to chain other RGB fans together?

If the case cables "provide" an extra addressable RGB header, as I am guessing from please see picture, then could I plug the case RGB into an adressable RGB header on the motherboard, and then plug the AIO RGB cable into the case 3 pin header, and plug RGB fan1 into the AIO male cable, and then plug RGB fan2 into RGB fan1 male cable, etc, so that the only one plugged into the motherboard ueader is the case, and this would allow the case buttons to control the entire RGB color system?

If so I would probably just do that, but I don't know if that's how it works.

And that's just the led cables ... Does each fan also need to plug into a motherboard header to get power? Bah I'm confused. This is what happens when I don't build a PC in 7 years ...

You must have posted that last post when I was typing my last post...

Down load the manual if your case was missing it. It has the wiring schematics in it.

http://www.lian-li.com/lancool-ii/

Your AIO and fans should all have the wiring schematics you can find on the Deepcool website if they didn't come in the packages.

http://www.deepcool.com/download/pdf/RF120_3IN1_EN.pdf

Open Air Build
(13 items)
CPU
i9
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA
Cooling
Case
Praxis Wet Bench
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus Predrator
Other
Other
DIY Sleeved Cables
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, getting the cable covers on the backside was a challenge with all the wires, but it's all done!

AIO plugged into pump header for power and it's 2 fans chained together and then into CPUFAN header for power. AIO RGB plugged into a fan1 on the front mounted radiator, which chained to fan2, which chained into motherboard jrgb header (they are all 12v RGB, wish I knew the difference before I bought this cooler, oh well).

I bought a 3 pack of Deepcool addressable RGB fans for 2 top exhaust and 1 rear exhaust. This came with a fan power hub and RGB hub. Power hub connected to sysfan header. RGB hub connected to jrainbow header.

Case plugged into other jrainbow header.

MSI dragon center controls AIO w/fans, the 3 ARGB fans, RAM RGB. Case is controlled by it's own buttons. My gtx 1070 quicksilver's have non-addressable RGB, but Dragon center breaks it. I downloaded direct mystic light 3 as well which let's me choose the GPU RGB colors.

And that's all she wrote. Like most things, after doing it all once it makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the input

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in