ASUS X370-F Strix Paper Thin PCB - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

ASUS X370-F Strix Paper Thin PCB

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
ASUS X370-F Strix Paper Thin PCB

Hi all,

I used to have an EVGA X58 SLI3, which was sort of a budget board. It had a really solid PCB, sturdy pins for onboard headers (speaker, USB, jumpers, etc.), colour-coded front panel connectors, and even a debug code indicator. It wasn't even marketed as a "gaming" board, which wasn't a thing back then.

I then was honoured to own the Rampage IV Gene. Well that thing was built like a tank and weighted a ton because of the heatsinks. It was a micro-atx board but even then they installed a heat pipe to connect a tiny heatsink below the socket to the main one on the VRM's. The PCB was rock solid as well.

Now I've bought a Strix X370-F which is called "the best board for X370" because of the VRM (intend to use it with a 3900X) and 6 expansion slots - cmp. Gigabyte Aorus Elite with 4 (four) expansion slots in an ATX form-factor.

The PCB is made out of paper. It literally creaked when I was connecting the 24pin and later the front panel cables. Applying pressure to a point in the center of the board between the mouting screws when the board is already attached to the case results in the PCB giving in easily. There is no color coding on the front panel connector. The pins are made out of butter as well. There is black shiny paper glued to the chipset heatsink that I almost peeled off accidentally when removing the protective film on the chipset.

Guys is this ASUS really?! This called "ROG"? Or is this how AMD boards are made these days, being the "cheaper" alternative? My Rampage IV is what you call ROG, period.

Is there any AM4 board with a real PCB that's not paperweight in a sane price range like $200-$250? Or do they only make decent boards for Intel?

Sorry for the rant but this is beyond sane. It's just a toy, that's being marketed as a top level board. Sigh. The X58 days!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 10:18 PM
gtz
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 58)
I do not consider the x370 strix a high-end board. Has the same VRM design as a x370 prime. Big difference from the strix to the Crosshair. I do agree it is not the beefiest but should get the job done. Gigabyte did the same for their X370, big difference from the x370 k5 and x370 k7. It literally goes from poop to gold.

X570 is a different story both gigabyte and Asus budget offerings are impressive. The x570 tuf is miles ahead the tuf from the 300 and 400 chipset. Same goes for the gigabyte gaming x570. These are budget boards that are actually good.

Ultra Instinct
(14 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 9 3900X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X
GPU
ZOTAC AMP NVIDIA RTX2080TI
RAM
32GB (4X8GB) CORSAIR LPX @ 3466 CL16
Hard Drive
WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 500GB NVME (OS)
Hard Drive
SANDISK PLUS 960GB SSD SATA III (STORAGE)
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL MX500 750GB SSD SATA III (IMPORTANT BACK UP)
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 850W
Cooling
ABATAP 6 PIPE COOLER
Case
RAIJINTEK ASTERION EATX CASE
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 PRO
Monitor
SCEPTRE 4K 27"
Keyboard
AZIO MECHANICAL BROWN
Mouse
AZIO
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Custom User Title

Rep: 18 (Unique: 13)
The Strix boards aren't top end. If you wanted the best X370 board from Asus, you should've bought a Crosshair VI Hero or Crosshair VI Extreme.

Office Computer
(14 items)
HTPC / Steam Box
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Super Advanced
RAM
Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD
Power Supply
Corsair RM750x
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12A
Case
Corsair Crystal 460X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus VG27AQ
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
Mouse
Corsair Harpoon RGB
Audio
Bose Companion 2
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi
GPU
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 Super Mini
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
Hard Drive
Inland Professional NVMe SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD
Power Supply
Cooler Master MasterWatt 650
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120
Case
Cooler Master Elite 110
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
LG NanoCell 49SM8600PUA
Keyboard
Corsair K63 Wireless
Mouse
Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless
Audio
LG SL5Y
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in