2Q?s [x570 Taichi]: The 2ndary GPU Slot is Connected to CPU not Chipset, Right? --- Will 4-pin 12v EPS help w/OC Stability? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

2Q?s [x570 Taichi]: The 2ndary GPU Slot is Connected to CPU not Chipset, Right? --- Will 4-pin 12v EPS help w/OC Stability?

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
2Q?s [x570 Taichi]: The 2ndary GPU Slot is Connected to CPU not Chipset, Right? --- Will 4-pin 12v EPS help w/OC Stability?

Hey there my OC brethren; my title pretty much says it - I've just got a couple quick questions that someone with more experience can probably answer:

1) My Chipset is getting really hot; moving my GPU down a slot will probably help a lot, but I don't want to do that if my GPU throughput is going to be unsurreptitiously murdered. I don't see why it WOULD be connected through the chipset, but can't find any definitive information about my specific board, or x570s in general regarding their respective PCI-E trace topologies.

Edit: Or maybe I should consider getting a gpu riser?

2) I'm rocking an OC pretty hard on my 3900x; 4.4Ghz All-Core OC; which is ALMOST totally stable. I'm wondering if buying and connecting the extra 4-pin 12V motherboard connector will help at all. Most of the common information I heard regarding the subject of the 4-pin says something like, "If you aren't extremely overclocking it, you can leave out the 4-pin." or "If you aren't LN2 you don't really need the 4-pin." I don't really want to waste buying and shipping a product if 4-pin OC results are questionable at best. So, if anyone has any relevant real-world knowledge on the subject, or can maybe point me to a youtube video or maybe a tech write-up source on the subject I would be very appreciative for some guidance.

Thanks guys; keep on foldin'

DO OR B-DIE -- 3800C14-16GTZN
CPU
3900X
Motherboard
AsRock x570 Taichi
GPU
MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X
RAM
Trident Z Neo F43800C14D-16GTZN Samsung B-Die
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 520 PCI-e 4.0 NVME
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Pro SATA
Power Supply
NZXT HALE90 Fully Modular
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 72X 380mm Radiator
Cooling
Corsair RGB Fans x3
Case
Corsair Crystal 570x Mirrrored Black Finish
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Monoprice Zero-G 35" Curved Ultra-Wide
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Logitech Trackball
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Greatli View Post
Hey there my OC brethren; my title pretty much says it - I've just got a couple quick questions that someone with more experience can probably answer:
Yes, 1st and 2nd PCIe are connected directly to the CPU and usually run at x16/x8 with Zen2 - so yes, you could use Slot2 without any loss.

Quote:
1) My Chipset is getting really hot; moving my GPU down a slot will probably help a lot, but I don't want to do that if my GPU throughput is going to be unsurreptitiously murdered. I don't see why it WOULD be connected through the chipset, but can't find any definitive information about my specific board, or x570s in general regarding their respective PCI-E trace topologies.

Edit: Or maybe I should consider getting a gpu riser?
Well 1st of all I would look into increasing airflow – as this helps all components.
2nd look into repasting changing the thermal pad from the heatsink of your chipset.

Quote:
2) I'm rocking an OC pretty hard on my 3900x; 4.4Ghz All-Core OC; which is ALMOST totally stable. I'm wondering if buying and connecting the extra 4-pin 12V motherboard connector will help at all. Most of the common information I heard regarding the subject of the 4-pin says something like, "If you aren't extremely overclocking it, you can leave out the 4-pin." or "If you aren't LN2 you don't really need the 4-pin." I don't really want to waste buying and shipping a product if 4-pin OC results are questionable at best. So, if anyone has any relevant real-world knowledge on the subject, or can maybe point me to a youtube video or maybe a tech write-up source on the subject I would be very appreciative for some guidance.

Thanks guys; keep on foldin'
Well, you could try.
My best guess would be looking into bullzoids channel.

But at a price point for $5-$10 for such a connector - I would just try it out...

Greetings,
Medizinmann

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in