Serious problems on ASUS CH6, won't post - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Serious problems on ASUS CH6, won't post

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Serious problems on ASUS CH6, won't post

So I bought 2 x 8gb crucial ballitix 3600mhz ram to upgrade my computer from some similar micron ballistix sport 2400mhz. After installing the new ram I was able to boot into the bios and attempt to set the DOCP settings from the ram, it tried to post with these settings but was unable to and booted with 2666 jdec timings, I tried a few more times with different speeds then gave up and booted it at 2666. After using windows for about an hour I wrote down some timings and settings I wanted to try and shut down . Then I powered her up again so I could try some new settings in the bios, wouldn't even POST. Got stuck on post code b0 and wouldn't go past it.

I tried the safe boot button which reboots with last known safe settings but wouldn't post again, I also saw a few other post codes whilst trying to restart it including 15, 05 and d0. I tried putting in the old ram again but still I got similar post codes to last time, usually changing upon restarting it . I then tried various combinations of ram in all the different ram slots but nothing would post.

Also tried the clear CMOS button on the back with the power on and also with the power off and cable unplugged. The only thing I thought I hadn't tried was a bios flashback, so I downloaded the latest bios from the asus web page and put it on the 3 usb drives I had (after renaming with the utility). I then tried each usb in the flashback slot and held the button in for several seconds but it would only turn on hard blue, with an almost pulsing effect when pressed in for a few seconds, but nothing close to the activity I was expecting which would be the button flash on and off blue untill the flashback was completed. Now when I boot with any combo of ram I get error code 8, regardless. I think at this point something has happened to the bios with my failed flashbacks but it just wont seem to flashback with any of my usb drives, just does that weird pulsing thing with the light. I'm at my wits end with this now and I have 2 more sticks of ram ordered incase I somehow destroyed all 4 sticks of ram.
EDIT: Now the post code is 0D again, no more 8. Still unsure what to make of this though, the bios flashback button is acting as if no usb drive is inserted, it does the same motions with nothing inserted

Asus crosshair Vi hero motherboard

Fury R9 AMD GPU

1600x AMD CPU

Corsair 850w PSU

Last edited by Obvcop; 03-27-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 12:05 PM
OG AMD

Rep: 600 (Unique: 465)
Turn off, unplug, and take out cmos battery. Hold the power button down for 10 secs. Unplug all usb sticks and use only 1 stick RAM. See if it boots at default bios settings.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/bs72bx-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(6 items)
Redwoodz
(10 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
RAM
GSKill Trident Z D-die
RAM
TeamGroup Excalibur
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD FX Vishera 8350
Motherboard
ASRock Extreme 9 990FX
GPU
HIS X 7970 IceQ
RAM
Gskill Trident
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-760XP
Cooling
TT Water 2.0
Monitor
Samsung Series 9 27"
Keyboard
Mionix Zibal
Mouse
Mionix 5000
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 10:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Make sure you use the right USB port on the back its labelled (bios) make sure the bios is named C6H.CAP make sure it's on the root of the USB stick make sure the USB stick is formatted properly.

I had an USB stick which use to work with bios flashback but it somehow didn't work after a couple month later so I used a program which was suggested on the crosshair hero vi forums I cant remember the name of the program but it wasn't like an 2 minutes format it took awhile for it to format every sector of the USB stick if someone knows can tell you.

And dont use d.o.c.p on AMD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Cheers for the replies guys, I appreciate the help and advice.

Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
Turn off, unplug, and take out cmos battery. Hold the power button down for 10 secs. Unplug all usb sticks and use only 1 stick RAM. See if it boots at default bios settings.
tried this last night, removed the battery and unplugged. it didn't really make a difference although I managed to score some new usb drives and two of them seem to at least semi-work with the USB bios flashback.
Basically, after trying the battery removal trick, the next day I formatted a new sandisk usb drive I bought, put on a bios, inserted it into the correct slot and pressed the button. This time it does actually flash on and off more than 3 times, but the 1st time I tried it, it just flashed on and off continuously for about an hour or two before staying solid blue as if it failed.
I tried afterwords with the same usb drive but it wouldnt even initiate the bios flashback. Now when I boot with any combination I get Q code - 8. I also got new ddr4 today and tried that in the board, but still getting Q -code 8.
I tried removing the power to the board completely again and that managed to get the bios flashback button to work with that same sandisk drive, but when i tried it it's just flashing continuously again, as I type this it's still flashing.

It seems to be that I might have somehow broken the board or bricked the bios chip, I suspect that means I am in for a hefty new board replacement as i dont have a rework station to solder a new bios chip onto the board.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 06:14 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 600 (Unique: 465)
Are you not getting any display at all? Have you tried a different display cable/port or gpu?

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/bs72bx-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(6 items)
Redwoodz
(10 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
RAM
GSKill Trident Z D-die
RAM
TeamGroup Excalibur
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD FX Vishera 8350
Motherboard
ASRock Extreme 9 990FX
GPU
HIS X 7970 IceQ
RAM
Gskill Trident
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-760XP
Cooling
TT Water 2.0
Monitor
Samsung Series 9 27"
Keyboard
Mionix Zibal
Mouse
Mionix 5000
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
Are you not getting any display at all? Have you tried a different display cable/port or gpu?
nah, and i'm using the only hdmi port on my fury, but I have multiple cables here and none of them are making a difference.

Interestingly enough, after leaving it a full 24 hours unplugged with no battery, I managed to flash the second to newest bios from the asus website using a usb 2 drive I bought. After turning it on after a fresh flash it cycles through a bunch of post codes indefinately, I have linked the video here. After a restart the Q-code settles on 0D though and I need to go through the whole battery drain/unplugged thing. Still no display though as its not POSTING. the only option I can think of trying now is trying to flash some different bios's and see if any of them start. I also got stuck on code 54 one of the times I restarted lately.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I thought I'd provide another update, after flashing a bios and then trying to boot for the first time this is what happens (video below)
This seems almost repeatable now after flashing a new bios then going through these stuck error codes. After a few restarts it settles on 0D, but only after turning it on and off a few times.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 35)
Set your ram training tries to 5. And Unplug any external USB hard drives. I had a similar experience with a Amazon USB 3.0 that this board does not like being on when it powers up. Oh and also bump your ram up to 1.4V for both the starting voltage and the running voltage.

White Lightning
(12 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WI-FI AC)
GPU
XFX AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 THICC II
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Hard Drive
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe 500GB
Optical Drive
LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue 16x Blu-ray Disc
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-660XP2 Platinum
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 140 Air Flow RGB- 140mm High Air Flow RGB Case Fan, 3 In 1
Case
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
AOC AGON AG273QCX 27" Curved Gaming Monitor
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by CDub07; 04-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by CDub07 View Post
Set your ram training tries to 5. And Unplug any external USB hard drives. I had a similar experience with a Amazon USB 3.0 that this board does not like being on when it powers up. Oh and also bump your ram up to 1.4V for both the starting voltage and the running voltage.
I don't have any external usb plugged in atm, It wont even boot into bios, it's still stuck POST cycling. unfortunately I can't change any settings
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 63)
You can try removing the graphics card and boot one time without it. There is an issue with the motherboard and the graphics card. You can also try re-seating the CPU if you have changed or re-seated the CPU earlier, the CPU-PCIE pins could have a bad connection if not seated properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in