Asus M5A99X EVO with FX 8150 in trouble - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Asus M5A99X EVO with FX 8150 in trouble

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So far so good.

I have disassembled all, while the CPU thermal paste was still fine, the one on the Chipset is completely dry and hard as stone (seems there was to much preasure once assembled as not thermal paste between chipset and cooler). The thermal pad for the power stages was pressed very hard to 4 of them while the others will only be slightly touched.

Other parts of this PC:
EVGA GTX 760
16GB Corsair DDR3-1333
Samsung Pro SSD 256GB (Windows)

WDC HDD 2TB (DATA)

Samsung HDD 1TB (Ubuntu)

Enermax 500W power supply

Now I will try to remove the dry thermal paste and replace the thermal pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M5A99X-Evo-3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	346926  

Name:	M5A99X-Evo-2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	346928  

Name:	M5A99X-Evo-1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	346930  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

After I have reassembled all, the result is still the same as before.

What I have done:
- Thermal pads replaced
- Thermal paste of CPU, north and south bridge
- CMOS reset

I will keep it running at 4.2 GHz with low voltage and very high LLC.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 03:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

It seems very strange, at least to me, despite the fact that you have the latest bios, and almost everything seems fine, that you had this issue. This motherboard is more than capable to handle that processor not only in stock clock, but with proper cooling, for example a fan blowing directly the vrm, can easily do 4.5 ghz. When you had windows 7 installed, did you observe a crash similar to that when you had windows 10 installed, or the system worked flawlessly all the time? Also, tell us if xmp is enabled, and if you have tried to disable apm from the cpu configuration. Apm is responsible to keep the processor in tdp limits (so even if you had your computer set in high performance mode from windows, the cpu itself when on full load, could downclock and downvolt, simply not to exceed the tdp limit). The other energy features don't affect the performance of the processor, but this one specifically, apm, is known to cause this issue. Also, turbo core should be disabled with apm, as it is preferable for the stability of the system. One more thing to try, is to switch if possible, the ram modules from slots 2 and 4 to 1 and 3 and to check again the performance of the system (if that doesn't work, try with one memory stick, for example in slot 2). It is worth, as you did, checking almost everything in your system, it might definitely be the most beneficial process to check properly your system for errors (it is of course tiring, but the results are worth it).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in