over clocking RAM, failure to post! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

over clocking RAM, failure to post!

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
over clocking RAM, failure to post!

Hi all,

Not new to builds, but newish to overclocking. I recently did a couple of pretty minor upgrades: added 2 new sticks of RAM and updated a SATA SSD with an M.2 drive, which I loaded a fresh Windows 10 on.

Prior to the update I had 2 sticks of DDR4 (8GB each) which i had overclocked up to 3200mhz (the max rated for this RAM). This was all working fine, until I added the two new sticks (identical make, model and size of the original). I started having issues posting and could not get it to boot into windows at. My system specs are as follows:

- MB - Asus b450 plus gaming
- CPU - Ryzen 5 2600
- GC - Geforce 2070 (MSI)
- RAM - Kingston Hyper x RGB 3200 mHz, 4 x 8Gb
- Boot - Samsung 970 500 Gb NVMe M.2
- Power supply - 650W

Here's what I've tried:

- Updated the BIOS to the most recent (download from ASUS site, don't have the version handy, but is the most current as posting). This made literally no difference.

- Tried each new stick of RAM individually in both free slots. This also made no difference. This to me rules out the idea that its a bad stick, as it seems unlikely to me that both would be bad, but correct me if I'm wrong here.

- Tried different over clocks. This did make a difference. It occasionally will post (maybe 30% of the time) at 3000 mHz, almost all the time at 2800mHz (about 80%) and always when not over clocked. All of these are with all 4 sticks. One reason I've had suggested for this is that it could be either a voltage or timing issue (I was using the standard DOCP profiles, although did try just manually setting the frequency with no difference in posting). If this is true, it would also be helpful to understand whetehr it is even worth over clocking the RAM if I need to over clock the CPU/memory controller also. Seems like the difference I'd get out of the over clocked RAM would be outweighed by the shortened life of my CPU (I should note that this system is not especially cooled, just fams and the AMD standard CPU cooler).

The other suggestion I've come across in my research is that it could be a total Wattage issue, but I've used a couple of different calculations for my system and am getting something between 415 and 435 Watts each time. I would have thought that 200 Watts of headroom would be sufficient.

I am at a loss other than the above, and very keen for some advice!

Cheers

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in