Rog C7H Ram problem - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Rog C7H Ram problem

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Rog C7H Ram problem

Hello all. Bios is suddenly only detecting 8gb of ram whilst HWinfo detects both modules ( 16gb in total). At the same time windows detects 16gb but shows 8gb as being system reserved.At first i thought it was windows somehow messing it up ( had a BSOD 2 days ago) so i made sure maximum ram was unticked @ sysconfig and went into the registry and set the clearpagefileshutdown value to 1. Also run the windows mem diagnostic tool which seemed to check both modules and came out clean.

edit : Bios detects both sticks but still shows only 8gb total ram available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	38
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	356142  

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	14
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	356144  

Name:	bios1.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	5.60 MB
ID:	356146  

Last edited by Khelben; 06-22-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 05:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Khelben View Post
Hello all. Bios is suddenly only detecting 8gb of ram whilst HWinfo detects both modules ( 16gb in total). At the same time windows detects 16gb but shows 8gb as being system reserved.At first i thought it was windows somehow messing it up ( had a BSOD 2 days ago) so i made sure maximum ram was unticked @ sysconfig and went into the registry and set the clearpagefileshutdown value to 1. Also run the windows mem diagnostic tool which seemed to check both modules and came out clean.

edit : Bios in EZ mode detects both sticks but still shows only 8gb total ram available.
Looks like (as you noted) your bios is confused - thinks your have 16 GB in one place, but only 8 GB reserved. Have you tried a bios reset? Alternatively, you might try re-flashing the current bios version.
Keep us posted.
J
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Jdpurvis View Post
Looks like (as you noted) your bios is confused - thinks your have 16 GB in one place, but only 8 GB reserved. Have you tried a bios reset? Alternatively, you might try re-flashing the current bios version.
Keep us posted.
J
Sorry what do you mean by one place? The bios properly detects each stick in his respective dimm slot .Here are the SPD pics. I have reloaded bios default/optimised settings. Havent reflushed or updated yet .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EmkQXDh.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	356160  

Name:	gx3cxRF.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	356162  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Small update : Noticed the mobo was displaying Qcode 24(red LED) which according to the manual is : Pre-Memory PCH initialiazation is started. Went ahead powered off , unpluged and cleared the CMOS .The new post up screen which prompts you to enter the uefi to setup was already giving me the bad news as it was detecting only 8gb of ram. Went in load optimised defaults and before saving and exiting this is what i got.

Is the mobo somehow being forced onto a single channel use and mirrors a2 to b2? Btw the pic you see is from the last changes page and not the actual message i got before i hit f10 to save changes and exit . I booted into windows just fine with 8gb in use still ofc and the code24 on the mobo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1494.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	4.88 MB
ID:	356174  

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 11:11 AM
gtz
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 59)
I had this issue with a Ryzen 3 1200. A memory channel was defective on the CPU. I also had this issue with a X99 Asrock where the board had damaged memory traces. If you tried reflashing the bios and remounted the CPU and and ram and still having an issue. Might be a hardware issue. Try testing the ram on another system as well.

Ultra Instinct
(14 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 9 3900X
Motherboard
ASUS CROSSHAIR VII HERO
GPU
NVIDIA RTX2080TI
RAM
GSKILL 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3700 CL16
Hard Drive
HP EX900 500GB NVME (OS)
Hard Drive
HP EX900 500GB NVME (STORAGE)
Hard Drive
SANDISK 960GB SATA III SSD (BACK UP)
Power Supply
EVGA SFX 650GM
Cooling
GELID PHANTOM BLACK
Case
JONSBO UMX4
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 PRO
Monitor
ALIENWARE 34IN IPS ULTRAWIDE 120HZ 3440X1440P
Keyboard
AZIO MECHANICAL BROWN
Mouse
AZIO
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gtz View Post
I had this issue with a Ryzen 3 1200. A memory channel was defective on the CPU. I also had this issue with a X99 Asrock where the board had damaged memory traces. If you tried reflashing the bios and remounted the CPU and and ram and still having an issue. Might be a hardware issue. Try testing the ram on another system as well.
Thx for the reply mate. Well things got a bit weird. I went on the ROG forums and people there were suggesting to update to the newest bios.

I went and flashed to 3004 and the pc wouldn't even post now (no post cycle ,was going straight into QCode AA) . I flushed again to a different one (1103 this time) and i got the same behaviour : no post cycle and straight into an error code , but a different one this time ( 0d) . Btw my original bios before starting any of this was the factory one 0804.

I then started toying with the ram sticks. Removed one again no post(0d). Put the remaining one to other DIMM slots and again got the same ( no post cycle and straight to 0d). I tried with the other stick now and again got the same results. In my anxiety/paranoia that i somehow tested the same stick twice i gave it another full try with both sticks makin sure i labeled them now. I got one of them to post and enter windows twice in both DIMM slots i used it on. On my first windows login though i was getting code 40 and on my second ( DIMM b2 now) i was getting again code 24 (Pre-Memory PCH initialiazation is started according to the manual).I proceeded to add the 2nd stick on ( yes i know, greedy) and the pc would now go through a post cycle but would eventually end on 0d and not post.I removed it and i am again inside windows with the "good" stick on b2 ( it would not post on A2) .

From what you ve said about defective mem channel on your CPU and what i ve described above i m really wondering if i m tempting my fate here with a defecting 2700x/mobo that's just waiting to fry the "good" stick too. I have no other system on which i can try the other stick right now and make it 100% sure that it's dead. The only things in my mind that i can try right now is a full cpu resit and/or trying to loosen the grip of the air cooler on the mobo ( some people on rog forums said this was causing issues) .But if any of those two were the problem why the sudden appearance of all my issues. I was running the pc just fine with all 16gb available for a year+ now.

Thank you again for bearing with me . I am open to any and all suggestions.

Last edited by Khelben; 06-22-2020 at 01:26 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 AM
gtz
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 59)
Do you have a local pc shop nearby? You can prob call one and for a few bucks ask them to test the cpu and ram or put an ad on craigslist (did this once with a X370/2700X combo I purchased and the board needed a new BIOS, posted on craigslist I will pay 10 bucks if you live nearby to borrow your 1000 series cpu to flash a BIOS). Also if you can live without a system for 2-3 weeks you can try RMAing all 3 components and get piece of mind.

But if nothing would post on a2 slot you have a hardware issue.

Ultra Instinct
(14 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 9 3900X
Motherboard
ASUS CROSSHAIR VII HERO
GPU
NVIDIA RTX2080TI
RAM
GSKILL 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3700 CL16
Hard Drive
HP EX900 500GB NVME (OS)
Hard Drive
HP EX900 500GB NVME (STORAGE)
Hard Drive
SANDISK 960GB SATA III SSD (BACK UP)
Power Supply
EVGA SFX 650GM
Cooling
GELID PHANTOM BLACK
Case
JONSBO UMX4
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 PRO
Monitor
ALIENWARE 34IN IPS ULTRAWIDE 120HZ 3440X1440P
Keyboard
AZIO MECHANICAL BROWN
Mouse
AZIO
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 07:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 17)
I'm afraid I don't have any ideas other than trying to re-seat the CPU. Making sure the socket and CPU pins are clean.

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gtz View Post
Do you have a local pc shop nearby? You can prob call one and for a few bucks ask them to test the cpu and ram or put an ad on craigslist (did this once with a X370/2700X combo I purchased and the board needed a new BIOS, posted on craigslist I will pay 10 bucks if you live nearby to borrow your 1000 series cpu to flash a BIOS). Also if you can live without a system for 2-3 weeks you can try RMAing all 3 components and get piece of mind.

But if nothing would post on a2 slot you have a hardware issue.
Yeah that's what i m looking into right now but the only shop that accepts do such a thing wants me to take the pc there as it and leave it for 4 days , and to be quite honest i m not sure i trust them to actually identify the problem.As for Craiglist not an option here in Greece. The RMA is what i fear the most and this is why i am praying atm that it's just a faulty RAM stick. See i bought everything from New York 1+ year ago and now i am back home so i m not sure how many hoops i ll have to jump through to RMA anything ( be it the mobo the cpu or the RAM).

Quote: Originally Posted by nick name View Post
I'm afraid I don't have any ideas other than trying to re-seat the CPU. Making sure the socket and CPU pins are clean.
If it was a cpu seat/placement or the pins/socket weren't clean , wouldn't i have the problem straight away when i assembled the PC? It's been up and running for more than a year now.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Took my system to a shop that a had another ryzen system set up so that we could hotswap components to see what's faulty. First we took my ram out put it on the secondary system ( a 1700x / x370 gigagbyte aorus mobo) and my ram not only posted, but it posted @ XMP (3600) on both sticks. As i was ready to accept to accept it's either my mobo/cpu that was @ fault we put 2 stick corsair sticks on my mobo and lo and behold the sytem posted and booted into windows perfectly.
But that's not where the weirdness stops.We took again my ram and put it back on my system and as if nothing had happened the system posted got into windows with all 16gb working fine. Couldnt get it to post @ xmp (not even @ DOCP 3400 preset ) but hell it was working. So i figured i just need to come back home finetune the CPU OC and play around with the ram timings and all would be fine.
Was busy the past week with work so i didnt have time to do any of that but the pc was 24/7 on and i used it occasionaly to watch some series or play some games.All that till today when the pc suddenly hung completely ( only thing that was open was GOM player + a couple of firefox tabs). The hung was accompanied with a weird noise ( sounded like electrical crackling-which could have been the usb powered speakers suddenly losing power i guess) and the mobo was definetely not even giving power through the usb ports ( keybord + mouse not working and the mouse LEDs went off) . I restart the pc and it wouldnt even post again giving me the same old error (0d) .I removed the second ramstick and the pc is again posting and loading into windows properly. I am really @ a loss here. How can i start to go about isolating what component is at fault??
By the way it could be totatally unrlated but i noticed after i managed to get the pc to post and load into windows again that CPU EDC doesnt drop below 40% ( i m on balanced power profile with a minimum 5% setup for the cpu) and it casually sits @ 99.9% whenever i launch a game and @ 90% with just GOM player.Again this could be something that was happening all this time and i just noticed ,although i doubt it.
I m really at a loss here guys. There is obviously something wrong but how can i go about isolating what exactly? If i RMA something( be it the mobo the ram or the cpu) i have to be sure that's it's the one that's at fault and i can't see how can i prove that right now.
Any and all input is welcome and apperciated.Thanks again everyone.

ps: I am on the 1103 bios ( 1.0.0.6 AGESA) with everything on optimised default settings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hwinfo1.png
Views:	4
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	359400  

Name:	hwinfo2.png
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	359402  

Name:	hwinfo3.png
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	359404  

Name:	hwinfo4.png
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	359406  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in